Wedding Reception Forum

Mason jar idea for drinks

Hi! so I am getting married on September 17 and am really starting to second guess some of my earlier decisions and am not sure how it will look.  My fiance and I were planning to have our guests drink out of glass mason jars for the non-alcoholic drinks for the evening but then have disposable wine glasses and disposable cups for the alcoholic beverages.  I am not sure how it will look having some glasses and then disposable, should they all be the same type or does it matter?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Re: Mason jar idea for drinks

• I think you should skip the mason jars. Ditto that they're not always the easiest to drink out of. And If I use a mason jar and want to drink a different drink, I've then got to either reuse mine or take a new one. It's not really ideal. 
  • Ditto everyone.

Also, I'm going to tilt my head slightly about the glass for non alcoholic and disposable for the alcohol.   Just keep it consistent. 
  • Same as everyone else, skip the jars and just stick with regular glasses for everyone. 
  • Ditto. Aside from the awkwardness of drinking from a mason jar, isn't that trend over yet? 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto PP that it's tricky to drink out of a mason jar...higher chance of spilling on yourself, which dressed up wedding guests wouldn't love.
    If you've already purchased a bunch of mason jars, maybe incorporate them into the centerpiece or favors somehow?
  • Mason jars are soooo over.  Don't do it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• scribe95 said:

I agree the mason jar trend is over. But apparently I am the only one who has no problem drinking out of them? 

Probably not, but I definitely understand why people have trouble. Sometimes the threads cause me to dribble and then I feel like a freakin idiot. But it's only when I'm not paying 100% attention to my drink (this is based on a single experience drinking out of mason jars, so not the best sample size).
  • If you're dead set on mason jars, please provide straws. I grew up drinking out of them (farm life) and they don't bother me, but I also have sensitive teeth, so I would be looking for straws anyway.  It will solve the "difficult to drink from" issue. 

I think having a mix a mix of glass and disposable is kind of silly. Just go with one or the other.
  • If you really want to stick with the mason jars, you could differentiate the type of drink by using different straw colors. I actually love the mason jar idea! 

• I think having a mix a mix of glass and disposable is kind of silly. Just go with one or the other.

Ditto.  Glass vessels for everyone, or disposables for everyone.