Budget Weddings Forum

Do you expect a party bus?

Our wedding party is getting ready at the church, and the reception is about a 10 minute drive. Bride & groom each have 4 attendants. Everyone lives within a few miles.
Timeline:
photos before wedding
2-3:15 wedding ceremony
3:15-3:45 receiving line
3:45-4:00 finish up any family photos that were missed beforehand
4:00-5:00 social/cocktail hour, also a photobooth beginning at 4pm
5:00 begin buffet line, followed by dance
It is very common in our area to have a party bus to go to bars between the ceremony and reception, but my fiance and I don't see the point. We'd rather just go straight to the reception and visit with all our guests. My bridal party seems to expect a limo or party bus but we think everyone can just drive themselves (we'd tell them this so they know in advance). Multiple hotels are withing walking distance of reception, but we're willing to arrange for an uber/taxi to pick up attendants who have had too much to drink. Thoughts on this approach?

Re: Do you expect a party bus?

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Our wedding party is getting ready at the church, and the reception is about a 10 minute drive. Bride & groom each have 4 attendants. Everyone lives within a few miles.
    Timeline:
    photos before wedding
    2-3:15 wedding ceremony
    3:15-3:45 receiving line
    3:45-4:00 finish up any family photos that were missed beforehand
    4:00-5:00 social/cocktail hour, also a photobooth beginning at 4pm
    5:00 begin buffet line, followed by dance
    It is very common in our area to have a party bus to go to bars between the ceremony and reception, but my fiance and I don't see the point. We'd rather just go straight to the reception and visit with all our guests. My bridal party seems to expect a limo or party bus but we think everyone can just drive themselves (we'd tell them this so they know in advance). Multiple hotels are withing walking distance of reception, but we're willing to arrange for an uber/taxi to pick up attendants who have had too much to drink. Thoughts on this approach?

I don't think anyone should have any expectation.

Honestly, in my area, the only time I have seen a party bus used was when the couple have a huge gap between their ceremony and reception.  Lots of fun for the couple and their bridal party, but incredibly rude to the guests having to kill time.

You've planned your day with the consideration of your guests in mind.  You and your FI have a great plan!
  • You do not need a party bus.

I do think you need to start your cocktail hour immediately following your ceremony (starting just after the amount of time needed to travel to your reception site) as the guests at the beginning of your receiving line have quite a bite of time on their hands. An hour and 45 minutes is a long cocktail hour. See if you can shorten.

• I hate party buses.  Too hard for this old lady to climb up and down those stairs.  I don't think you should need one at all.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You do not need a party bus. You are absolutely right that the time is better spent visiting with your guests.

I do have to ask: is there any way that the cocktail hour could start immediately as guests arrive at the reception venue? As things stand now, they'd be standing around awkwardly for at least 15 minutes once they arrive (and it may be longer, as I doubt everyone will linger during the whole time you have for the receiving line).
  • I've honestly never even heard of this. You don't need it. Just go straight to the reception. 
  • I think you're fine without one (and haven't seen them being as common in recent years), but I would try to start the cocktail hour a little earlier. It should be open when your guests would get to the reception area, to cover the time when you & the WP are finishing pictures.

The only time I was in a wedding and expected transportation be provided was a wedding where we had to drive ALL OVER a rural part of the state, no one was from there (except the bride & her family) and there were gaps all over. But there was a lot wrong with that wedding lol.
  • No
    *********************************************************************************

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Nope!

I've never actually seen/known someone who had a party bus, except on TV!

I would start your cocktail "hour" at 3:30pm, otherwise I think your timeline is fine.
  • I see party buses mainly at weddings with big gaps, as PP mentioned. It really doesn't make sense to me to pay for such a thing for a 10 minute trip.
  • No, for a 10 minute drive it shouldn't be expected. I would suggest moving the cocktail time up to mesh with after the ceremony for your first guests as they arrive. Having the party bus to bar hop between the ceremony and reception is big around my area too, maybe it's a regional thing. I never understood it either. Someone "explained" it's to make the grand entrance while the guests arrive and get settled, but I still didn't understand. Why keep our guests waiting while we go bar hopping? She countered that it's fun to go out in public wearing the dress. I told a friend I am not doing that for my wedding and she looked at me in disbelief like I was from Mars. From what I understand, typically the only time there's a big gap for the bride/groom arriving to the reception is if pictures weren't/couldn't be taken before the ceremony, so they can be taken after without all the guests standing around being bored, then the guests can start on cocktail hour while the bridal party takes pictures. I don't see having a party bus or limo for a 10 minute drive, seems like a lot of expense for a really short ride... what's that, like 3 songs? ha ha

One wedding I went to the couple had pictures scheduled after the ceremony, but the reception was at their home. So we all had to wait over an hour for them to arrive. Not very well thought through. Or someone forgot their house key. lol