Wedding Woes

Wedding lottery - I can't even

This takes B-listing to a whole 'nother level.

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/2017/7/9/sisters-lifelong-rivalry-escalates-into-silence

DEAR ABBY: Recently I was listening to a couple talking about who and who not to invite to a wedding because seating was limited.

I'm wondering whether there would be anything wrong with sending out a letter stating that although they would like to invite everyone, seating is limited. Explain that, of course, immediate family (parents, siblings and their spouses) would be invited without exception. However, the remaining seating would be on a "lottery" basis. If people accept the invitation, they would be in the lottery and then notified of the results.

Is this acceptable? I think it would solve a lot of problems. Just wondering. -- JUST A THOUGHT IN OHIO

DEAR JUST A THOUGHT: If I were you, I would forget this concept. Depending upon the size of the guest list, I strongly suspect it would offend anyone who didn't "win" the lottery.

Re: Wedding lottery - I can't even

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2017
    WTF?

EDIT - What stops the couple from rigging the lottery?   For example, lets pretend to Aunt Ethel she is in the running by putting her name in a lottery, when in theory only friend names are going to put into the hat.      How far out are the "lucky" winner informed of their good fortune of getting a ticket to the wedding?

I do not know how this solves anything.   Sounds like a night mare to me. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would decline that wedding so fast the postman wouldn't have time to put the invitation in the mailbox! Why do people think they are so important that everybody will want to be at their wedding? I also think a lot of time people just don't like having to make decisions - how many guest can we AFFORD and treat them WELL, what is most important date or venue. I just get so tired of hearing people say it's the bride's day(s) she should be able to do what she and FI want.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Of course they're from Ohio. Just proves that twit right we're inconsiderate Midwesterners.  
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    wtf?
    I'm supposed to reserve a fucking saturday to maybe have the privilege of eating rubber chicken and a cash bar?
    (or open bar.  whatever.  wouldn't matter)
  • Abby is only half-right: it will offend everyone who's "invited." As if I'm going to put aside a weekend for someone when I only *might* get to actually go.

I'm petty enough that I'd probably host a party the day of the wedding for any friends who "lost" (and also anyone who won but saw through the bs).
  • This has got to be satire.
  • I don't want to know what other thoughts this person has about anything, because I get the impression that they're all bad.  Very, very bad. 
  • And what exactly are the guests "winning"?  An invite to a rude, wishy-washy person's wedding?  No thanks.  You're really just not that special.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• And what exactly are the guests "winning"?  An invite to a rude, wishy-washy person's wedding?  No thanks.  You're really just not that special.

My concern would be that one breach of etiquette tends to breed more. Methinks there's a cash bar and Honeyfund lurking there too.

My concern would be that one breach of etiquette tends to breed more. Methinks there's a cash bar and Honeyfund lurking there too.

I would assume the same, lol.  Paying for my own drinks doesn't even sound like a consolation prize.  Much less a "win".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since a girl I went to high school with sold tickets for $100 to attend the reception (where you only got 2 drinks and 2 tacos) I think this is real. And no, I don't have any faith in humanity. 

• I wasn't that important to hold a lottery for my seats :( 

• We didn't B list but there were people who asked if they could come after the dinner for the dancing and to say hi

Maybe we should have done a lottery lol!

• levioosa said:

Since a girl I went to high school with sold tickets for $100 to attend the reception (where you only got 2 drinks and 2 tacos) I think this is real. And no, I don't have any faith in humanity. 

Did she sell any?

• levioosa said:

Since a girl I went to high school with sold tickets for $100 to attend the reception (where you only got 2 drinks and 2 tacos) I think this is real. And no, I don't have any faith in humanity. 

could you swap tickets for something? like instead of 2 drinks, you have 4 drinks or 4 tacos :|

• levioosa said:

could you swap tickets for something? like instead of 2 drinks, you have 4 drinks or 4 tacos :|

Right?  I'll take 4 tacos over 2 and 2.  I bring my own flask anyway. 

I was thinking extra drinks and grab a better meal instead lol

• *Barbie* said:

levioosa said:

Did she sell any?

this^^^ and what in the hell is in these tacos and drinks? Is it like 24k gold-crusted wagyu beef, topped with whole white truffles and beluga caviar, wrapped in an original Monet painting, with unicorn blood martinis?

It seemed pretty stingy honestly. I think I had a thread about it in chit chat when it happened. It was so AW and barf worthy. They also had a honeyfund for a three month honeymoon in Europe 

• levioosa said:

*Barbie* said:

levioosa said:

Did she sell any?

this^^^ and what in the hell is in these tacos and drinks? Is it like 24k gold-crusted wagyu beef, topped with whole white truffles and beluga caviar, wrapped in an original Monet painting, with unicorn blood martinis?

It seemed pretty stingy honestly. I think I had a thread about it in chit chat when it happened. It was so AW and barf worthy. They also had a honeyfund for a three month honeymoon in Europe 

Do they not have jobs? who can travel for 3 months!!!

• levioosa said:

*Barbie* said:

levioosa said:

Did she sell any?

Oh, I remember this...wow this was way back. Did you ever do a follow-up?

• levioosa said:

*Barbie* said:

levioosa said:

Did she sell any?

Oh, I remember this...wow this was way back. Did you ever do a follow-up?

I didn't do a follow up. I think I hid or deleted her from my FB because I was so disgusted. 

And part of the honey fund was a bunch of tech gadgets so they could continue working while on their honeymoon. Um. No. Just no. 

• 6fsn said:
    Of course they're from Ohio. Just proves that twit right we're inconsiderate Midwesterners.  
    Don't loop all of us in with that state. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    Don't loop all of us in with that state. 
    LOL!  6 is referring to the chick last week who had no chill about RSVP's and wondered if rudeness was a 'midwest thing'.  ;)
    I missed all that goodness...I should probably visit other boards.
  • @kimmiinthemitten it was on this board. She just needed to vent. ;)