Attire & Accessories Forum

when to shop for Bridesmaid dress

I am a bridesmaid for my SIL wedding next fall. She is letting us pick any dress that is long and burgundy/wine. I am a planner so I want to start shopping. Lol but We are planning on TTC this fall so by the time the wedding roles around I may be pregnant, post-partum or not pregnant. How close to the wedding would you wait to find a dress. Or should I just look for an empire waist dress and wait until close to the wedding to alter it? WWTKD?

Re: when to shop for Bridesmaid dress

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    A year from now is a LONG time.

The soonest I would look is next spring.  Depending on which fall month, I would even wait until next August when the fall line comes out in stores again.  Burgundy is a popular color and I have no doubt you will find many options even waiting a month or two prior to the wedding. 

A lot can happen in this time frame, even beyond your attempts at TTC.  You may be a planner, but you have plenty of time.
  • WWTKD? 

If I had cash to throw in the trash, I would start shopping now. If I were being a reasonable human being (knowing I was TTC), I would wait until ONE YEAR from now - at the very earliest. 

If the planner in you is itching to shop, start a pinterest board or pick up a hobby and plan something else. 
    *********************************************************************************

•  Thanks for the replies. I know it would be kinda crazy to shop now. I'm still a part of a fb wedding resale group and someone was selling a long burgundy dress with an empire waist but they were still asking too much. If it was say $20 I might risk it. I just wasn't sure how close to the wedding I should wait realistically. A month or 2?
  • A month or 2 is reasonable. You will know better in a year.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd keep TTC out of the decision making.  Even if you were currently pregnant, you just don't know how your body will look/feel next fall.  
    Stores like Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus (all good places to find a long burgundy dress) release their fall line around this time of year, so if you want to select a dress early, I'd go for this time next year.  Keep in mind that the further in advance you buy a dress, the more you may end up spending in tailoring.
  • Jstump2 said:
    I am a bridesmaid for my SIL wedding next fall. She is letting us pick any dress that is long and burgundy/wine. I am a planner so I want to start shopping. Lol but We are planning on TTC this fall so by the time the wedding roles around I may be pregnant, post-partum or not pregnant. How close to the wedding would you wait to find a dress. Or should I just look for an empire waist dress and wait until close to the wedding to alter it? WWTKD?
    Check out Show Me Your Mumu -- Merlot Chiffon. Those are my bridesmaid dresses. All very loose and long, so definitely would fit when pregnant.