Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Bad wedding makeup trial!

I just got home from my makeup trial and I really don't like it. I'm trying to think of ways I can fix it, but if I'm paying someone to do it, I shouldn't have to fix it! I am into makeup, so I was considering doing my own on the day of, but thought I would hire someone so I wouldn't have to worry about it. But now I'm worried about it! I already signed a contract and paid a deposit. My bridesmaids are getting their makeup done by her too. I'm not sure what to do. We're getting married in 100 days from today... Help please! Any advice will do! 

Re: Bad wedding makeup trial!

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I just got home from my makeup trial and I really don't like it. I'm trying to think of ways I can fix it, but if I'm paying someone to do it, I shouldn't have to fix it! I am into makeup, so I was considering doing my own on the day of, but thought I would hire someone so I wouldn't have to worry about it. But now I'm worried about it! I already signed a contract and paid a deposit. My bridesmaids are getting their makeup done by her too. I'm not sure what to do. We're getting married in 100 days from today... Help please! Any advice will do! 
    The reason you have a trial is to break down the application step by step and explain what you do and do not like.  Did you explain or comment at all during the application?  Did the MUA take pauses to show you as she went along?  Those things should have happened.

At the end of the application, did the MUA hand you a mirror and ask for thoughts and opinions?  That is when you had an opportunity to literally "get what you paid for" by way of a trial.  The other part of the trial process is the error process.  Those should have been discussed then and there.

I've never heard of the need to sign a contract for hair or make up applications.  You have 100 days until the wedding.  The MUA has plenty of time to book new clients.

I personally feel as if you neglected to fulfill your part of this responsibility.  I would call back while your appointment is fresh in her head and ask if you can have a brief consultation appointment to discuss what should have been done at the time of your trial.
  • Thank you for your input. During the application, I didn't have a mirror in front of me, so I couldn't comment on it while she was doing it. She never really told me what she was doing unless I asked or looked at the product. 

At the end, she did hand me a mirror and asked me what I thought. I didn't do the right thing because I said it looked great. I know that wasn't smart, but I felt bad. I should have said what I didn't like then and there, but I didn't like anything so I didn't want to say that! 

Contracts in this area are very common for makeup and hair. I think it's more for the person providing the service rather than the bride. 

I didn't do the right thing, I need to contact her. But I don't want to wait and assume it will get better and make her miss out on another wedding for that day if I decide to cancel.  
  • Thank you for your input. During the application, I didn't have a mirror in front of me, so I couldn't comment on it while she was doing it. She never really told me what she was doing unless I asked or looked at the product. 

At the end, she did hand me a mirror and asked me what I thought. I didn't do the right thing because I said it looked great. I know that wasn't smart, but I felt bad. I should have said what I didn't like then and there, but I didn't like anything so I didn't want to say that! 

Contracts in this area are very common for makeup and hair. I think it's more for the person providing the service rather than the bride. 

I didn't do the right thing, I need to contact her. But I don't want to wait and assume it will get better and make her miss out on another wedding for that day if I decide to cancel.  
    The whole point of a trial is literally to prevent this from happening. Did you talk through your wants and then were not happy with the application? For example, I thought I wanted a really contoured look and once it was on my face, it looked awful. I just don't have the face for it. The MUA totally got it and re did it until I was happy with a more natural look. 

You need to be specific- saying 'I don't like everything' is really not helpful. You need to use your words here. 

Say constructive things like
    -Foundation is too heavy
    - i don't like the eye colour
    - I want more definition in  my eyebrows. 

I think you are going to have to do another trial with this person as you really missed the whole point of what a trial is for...
  • Second what @LondonLisa said. When I did my trial it was a touch too heavy for me, but I didn't notice until I got home and had a closer look. I send my MUA an email and told her about it and she completely understood, and on the big day my makeup was just how I wanted it. You HAVE to let someone know what is specifically wrong so they can fix it or else live with the consequences.