Wedding Reception Forum

XP Ballpark wedding entertainment

marigold40marigold40 member
5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited July 2017 in Wedding Reception Forum
We are planning on having our ceremony at a ballpark just before a local semi-pro game (we are fans). Instead of a traditional reception, we will stay for the game. Guests will have tickets to the game (of course), food and beer. We reserved a "party deck" at the ballpark for our estimated 80 guests, so space is limited and decorations aren't really an option... but I'm wondering if I should try to do some form of entertainment like games that don't require space (custom Bingo cards, Icebreakers, etc)? Or will the ballgame and socializing be enough to keep people entertained? We want this to be a casual, fun, laid-back feel... so we aren't looking for formal or traditions, but we also don't want people bored since we aren't doing the typical dance. Thoughts/ideas? 

Re: XP Ballpark wedding entertainment

• I love this idea! Do the majority of your guests also like baseball? If they do, typically the game & the party deck atmosphere is enough to entertain everyone for the few hours a game lasts. Semi-pro/minor league games usually have a bunch of other things going on during the game too. If you are worried about a few people in particular, you could ask a friend or family member who knows them what they might like? I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it; people who know they loathe baseball (if there are any) maybe would just plan to leave early anyway.
  • marigold40marigold40 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2017
    Yes, I would say the majority of our guests are excited about the idea, if not for the baseball then just for something different. We are "older" for getting married (40s) and it's not the first wedding for either of us. So, we didn't need all the fanfare of a traditional wedding/reception. Our officiant and photographer were both SUPER excited to for something different and both gave us a steep discount just because they are excited to do it (woo-hoo!). Yes, they have other fun things between innings. And yes, we won't be upset at all if some people opt not to come or leave early because they're not into baseball... it doesn't mean we aren't friends. It's our day so we would rather do something we want to do, rather than feel obligated to do the traditional ceremony/dance, which neither of us wants. Maybe I'm just overthinking this, ha ha! :) I was thinking of having sort of a "program," basically with info on where to locate the restrooms, times of the buffet, etc. so I could print something on the backside of that to entertain maybe?? It'll also be a fan in case it's hot since we'll be outside. 
  • I think definitely a program with helpful information would be a good idea! Have you thought about what to do if it's super hot, or there's inclement weather? From what I've seen, most of the party decks in ballparks aren't covered, and if it rains at a baseball game you're kind of SOL. 
  • The ballpark said if it rains they have a tented picnic area we can use. The party deck isn't covered, but the ball park has a nice, long covered corridor right off the deck, so if people need a break from the sun they can stand in that for awhile and you can still see the game from it. Maybe we'll just do the ceremony in there if it rains then head to a bar or something. ha ha :) 
    I plan to bring a basket of sunscreen, flip flops, sunglasses, and bug spray for people so they can be comfortable in case they forgot those things. 
  • Ahh that sounds great! Your guests will appreciate you thought of those things!
  • Thank you! I am amazed at the creativity of brides these days. The attention to detail and ingenuity is incredible! When I was married the first time 20 years ago, it certainly wasn't like it is today. That's why I thought I would post this to see if anyone had any creative ideas. :) 
  • Be sure to greet everyone personally and thank them for coming! But everything seems like it will be nicely hosted, if untraditional. Should be fun.
  • Thank you! I'm probably just really over thinking this, ha ha! And yes, that's another bonus to having everyone on the party deck... we will actually be able to chat with all of our guests. :) About 80% of our guests live in the same town as us, so for the few out-of-towners we anticipate will attend we will spend extra time with them and may have a brunch the next day depending on their schedules. 
  • Sounds super fun no need for more activities. 
  • Thank you!
  • Sounds really nice!
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The baseball game is the entertainment, IMO.  You don't need anything else.  Even people who don't like baseball will socialize, eat, drink etc during the game and will be entertained.  One option (if you want) is to offer rounds in the batting cages (if they have them - like my ballpark does - and they are nearby).  It sounds fun regardless.  

• Thank you! I'll have to check to see if that's an option regarding the batting cages... that would be really fun!