Snarky Brides

You didn't rent the entire arboretum for "your day"!

I just have to rant about an experience I had this past weekend with a very entitled bride and her family. 

My FH, his family, and I all went to a beautiful arboretum this past weekend. FH's grandma is disabled and cannot walk far at all, but she still wanted to see the arboretum. Thankfully, this arboretum has a two-lane driving path specifically for disabled people and their families who want to experience some of the park. It loops along the outside of the arboretum and provides lovely views. 

Well, this driving path also happens to pass the wedding reception venue. As we drive along the path, we can see a bride and groom, along with about 30 other people, all standing in the middle of the driving path taking photos. Note that the driving path is in no way, shape, or form part of the reception hall. 

We very slowly drive towards the group of people, assuming that they will scoot off to the side to let us through. But instead of scooting off to the side, they come up to our open window and say "You're not supposed to be here!" To which I respond, "Actually, this path is for disabled people who want to drive through the park." A few people say "Oh yeah, that's right," but two older women (one of whom appeared drunk) just stood in front of the car and glared at us! And then finally moved out of the way while calling my FH an a-hole! 

Whatever, maybe they didn't realize the purpose of the road. But then, after driving through the park, we go to exit and they're all still there! And one of the older women from before comes up to our car and yells "You need to slow down!" (my FH was literally driving less than 5 MPH) And the bride stands in the way of our car and gives us the dirtiest look! 

My FH's family being in the car is honestly the only reason I did not go off on these people. Like, you rented the reception hall, not the entire 260 acre park! And this road is specifically for disabled people and their families to drive through the arboretum! Ugh!! 

Re: You didn't rent the entire arboretum for "your day"!

• Ugh. Some people just look for a reason to be angry/find drama. 

I'm actually really thankful that I'm not that bride or her two older guests....there were plenty of little things I *could* have gotten upset about at my wedding, but there was so much good, I couldn't give them my focus. I almost feel sad for her: she's probably whining that you "ruined" her day, when she clearly did that to herself. 
  • Not to mention, I'm curious as to exactly what they expected you all to do.  Turn around, instead of continuing along to the exit?  Sorry that happened.  Unfortunately, there are just way too many "entitled" people in this world.  If there was an opportunity, I would have said something to the establishment so that any other cars driving through that day would hopefully not have been harassed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Isn't it ridiculous that someone would behave that way on their wedding day? Honestly, I was on Cloud 9 all day, and nothing could have bothered me. It's not like the park was shut down for their wedding! 

I got married at a resort, so there were many people around watching us taking pictures and whatnot. It was cool. Later on in the day, I ran into the bride that was getting married after us (we had an afternoon wedding and I was still in my dress), and when I said hi, she totally snubbed me. She seemed really unhappy, and it just struck me as so odd. It's your wedding! You're throwing an awesome party. Be happy! 
    I agree so wholeheartedly. Before we got married we took some picture on the Brooklyn Bridge, a place I usually avoid because nothing annoys me faster than slow walking tourists who stand in the middle of the world staring at the buildings and the sights. But on my wedding day we could have been totally alone on that bridge for how little I noticed anything but my husband. I didn't even really pay any attention to our photographer, unless she was giving us instructions. Of all days to let the little shit annoy you, this isn't one of them.

It was probably the easiest I've ever let go of the stress of being around so many people, I hope I can experience it again because it was so great being able to focus just on the fact that I'm getting married! And my husband looks fucking good.
  • Unfortunate people :(

I had a similar experience - only flipped as I was the bride, and the rude people were those at the area.
    We were trying to recreate a photo my parents had when they got married, and since it's a golf course we only had certain places I could stand {heels}

I went down a path, and stood on the little inlet of pavement - standing close to the grass, but not on it. Let's be real, I had fancy shoes I didn't want grass stained lol These older men were golfing, one yells "DON'T GET ON THE GRASS WITH YOUR HEELS! YOU'LL RUIN THE GRASS!" I scoot over a bit, maybe I was on the grass and didn't realize?
    He yells again "GET OFF THE GRASS!" as to which I turn and yell "I'M NOT ON THE GRASS, THERE IS PAVEMENT HERE!!"

These are same guys who walked past the tented area that was blocked off so our guests would know where to go, and made a snit. Luckily the coordinator - who works at the golf course - was there and moved them along, but some family mentioned it later when they saw I snarked at them.
  • At first, I thought this was going to be from the other bride from that WW thread, "strangers ruined my wedding!" giving a rebuttal on her POV.  I was shocked to learn the two threads were unrelated, and that there is ANOTHER couple willing to come to fisticuffs with strangers over their "perfect day."  OP, I'm glad you and your family stayed safe, and I'm sorry you all had to deal with those jerks. 
  • MircakesMircakes member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2017
    Not to mention, I'm curious as to exactly what they expected you all to do.  Turn around, instead of continuing along to the exit?  Sorry that happened.  Unfortunately, there are just way too many "entitled" people in this world.  If there was an opportunity, I would have said something to the establishment so that any other cars driving through that day would hopefully not have been harassed.
    I actually emailed the arboretum after writing this post! They knew what wedding I was talking about (obviously, since it was the only one at that day and time) and they apologized.

They said that the bride and groom signed a contract explaining that the road needed to be kept clear, and that to rent the road you actually have to get special permission from the city since doing so makes the arboretum inaccessible for disabled people, thus going against ADA guidelines. 

The representative then said "We can't help how our guests behave," but they will tell venue staff to keep an eye on guests in the future to make sure they are not blocking access for disabled people. That part felt like a cop-out, but I do hope that for future weddings, venue staff does remind guests and the bride/groom that they need to stay off that road, or at least allow cars to pass. 
  • missfrodo said:
    At first, I thought this was going to be from the other bride from that WW thread, "strangers ruined my wedding!" giving a rebuttal on her POV.  I was shocked to learn the two threads were unrelated, and that there is ANOTHER couple willing to come to fisticuffs with strangers over their "perfect day."  OP, I'm glad you and your family stayed safe, and I'm sorry you all had to deal with those jerks. 
    What's funny is that I saw that post and thought it would be the bride! Haha!

I ultimately am glad that my FH's family was there to pretty much force me to keep my cool. I am an assertive person, so I don't typically take that sort of rude behavior from people (especially when it's directed at people I love). But my FH's mom and grandma were obviously very uncomfortable, and we just wanted them to have a good time, so we just ignored it and continued on. My FMIL even thanked my FH afterward for dealing with those aggressive people in such a tactful manner. 
  • Mircakes said:
    Not to mention, I'm curious as to exactly what they expected you all to do.  Turn around, instead of continuing along to the exit?  Sorry that happened.  Unfortunately, there are just way too many "entitled" people in this world.  If there was an opportunity, I would have said something to the establishment so that any other cars driving through that day would hopefully not have been harassed.
    I actually emailed the arboretum after writing this post! They knew what wedding I was talking about (obviously, since it was the only one at that day and time) and they apologized.

They said that the bride and groom signed a contract explaining that the road needed to be kept clear, and that to rent the road you actually have to get special permission from the city since doing so makes the arboretum inaccessible for disabled people, thus going against ADA guidelines. 

The representative then said "We can't help how our guests behave," but they will tell venue staff to keep an eye on guests in the future to make sure they are not blocking access for disabled people. That part felt like a cop-out, but I do hope that for future weddings, venue staff does remind guests and the bride/groom that they need to stay off that road, or at least allow cars to pass. 
    I wouldn't take their wording as a cop out.   Essentially they can't control what people do but they'll make an effort to be clear to those booking the area.