Wedding Woes
Options

I think it is appropriate to tell her daughter she feels the same.

Dear Prudence,

I am a 50-year-old married woman who’s been married for 30 years to the father of my four children. We were both raised to believe women should be modest and have no sexual urges, so we’ve always had sex on a fairly fixed schedule (every third day, no physical contact during menstruation). My husband is very attentive, makes certain that I orgasm, and has never hurt me. I never thought anything was unusual until my 20-year-old daughter came home from college deeply troubled about being “asexual.” As she confided in me and we have been reading together, I realized that I am asexual also.

Is there a gene that causes this? I have no emotional conflict because in my culture having no sexual urges is a benefit. I do not think it is appropriate to say to my daughter “Hey, I am too, and it’s fine!” but seeing her view herself as “broken” is heart-wrenching. I realize my husband and my immediate family are the only people I can touch without feeling deep revulsion. (I do not like handshakes, hugs, or even massages from paid professionals.) I understand how she feels, but at her age I knew I would have a husband and children, and she is grappling with being “odd and different” from her siblings and her peers. I love her so deeply and feel I am the cause of her misery. How do I help her?

–Guilty Mother

Re: I think it is appropriate to tell her daughter she feels the same.

• Options
    I might be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but I don't think asexual individuals react with revulsion to all types of touch. The fact that LW reacts to revulsion even to non-sexual things like a massage or a handshake makes it seem like something else might be happening with her. And ditto charlotte on the upbringing influencing the daughter.