Moms and Maids

Not having a wedding party

My fiance and I have decided to forgo a wedding party although, my twin nephews will be ringbearers. Several older patients at my work have asked who will stand up for me. What does this mean? Are they referring to a MOH? Why would I need one?

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. -Lao Tzu

Re: Not having a wedding party

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Some states require a witness or two to sign the marriage certificate.  Maybe your patients are referring to this?  This can be anyone over 18 that you'd like, it doesn't have to be a WP member.  There's nothing wrong with not having a WP.
  • True, you don't need a wedding party, but if your state requires a witness(s) to sign the certificate you may want to ask that person(s) before the ceremony if they will do this.
  • Thanks!

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. -Lao Tzu

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Anyone over 18 can sign your marriage certificate. You don't need a WP if you don't want. One of my friends did not have a WP. The B&G's mothers signed the marriage certificate.
  • Ditto SP29.  We had no WP and our mothers signed the marriage certificate.

Now in some families/cultures, the MOH and BM are about the same age as the bride and groom, and they have been married to each other or to other people for some time, so that the MOH and BM serve as Marriage Mentors for this couple getting married now.  The Marriage Mentors would invite the newlyweds over for dinner or a weekend activity about four times during the first year of marriage, and assure that the newlyweds can contact them anytime to ask/do anything as they learn to be married.  Of course, families/cultures who do not do this Marriage Mentor thing sometimes think it's stupid, and couples who have already lived together for a while like a married couple probably think this is unnecessary and stupid too...

• Ditto SP29.  We had no WP and our mothers signed the marriage certificate.

Now in some families/cultures, the MOH and BM are about the same age as the bride and groom, and they have been married to each other or to other people for some time, so that the MOH and BM serve as Marriage Mentors for this couple getting married now.  The Marriage Mentors would invite the newlyweds over for dinner or a weekend activity about four times during the first year of marriage, and assure that the newlyweds can contact them anytime to ask/do anything as they learn to be married.  Of course, families/cultures who do not do this Marriage Mentor thing sometimes think it's stupid, and couples who have already lived together for a while like a married couple probably think this is unnecessary and stupid too...

And what culture is this? I'm genuinely curious, because this sounds just about on par with everything else you've posted and I'm just so confused. But I really honestly would love to hear where this is common.