Attire & Accessories Forum

Has anyone else purchased a sample dress?

A month ago I went to my first dress appointment, my budget was $2,500 - $3,000. The 5th dress I tried on, I fell in love with, however the consultant put me in a $4,800 Matthew Christopher dress, and I didn't know the price until I already fell in love with it. 

In an effort to find something in my price range, I went to about 4 other appointments, but kept comparing every dress to the first Matthew Christopher dress.

I went back to the first salon for a Matthew Christopher trunk show and the dream dress sample - The one I had originally tried on - was on sale for $2,900!! I about died and bought it right on the spot.

Now I'm so nervous that I made this decision so quickly, they said it was a sample in perfect condition but I didn't even inspect it myself, and it's a little tight. Does purchasing a sample dress mean that I didn't really get the dress the best I could have? (although I couldn't afford it if I hadn't bought the sample). I'm feeling kind of upset about purchasing a sample dress that I'm not personally ordering and is coming in perfect condition made just for me.

Has anyone else purchased a sample dress, and what was your experience with it?

Re: Has anyone else purchased a sample dress?

• You're feeling upset you bought exactly the dress you wanted at a price you could afford? Sounds like everything worked out wonderfully to me!
  • I haven't personally, but I have friends who did, and everything was fine. There's also some fancy-pants wedding boutique in NYC that has a massive sample sale every year and people go bonkers over it! As long as it fits, you should be good.

I will say, it's pretty crappy of the sales woman to not tell you the price before letting you try on the dress though. That's a real bummer she works that way.
  • I didn't but would have provided that the quality was there (wasn't an option to buy the sample). You got a steal of a deal on the dress that you love. Find a good seamstress to take it out a bit to get it to the perfect size and get it cleaned.

If you ordered one made just for you, you could have all kinds of issues (order wrong size, delays, still need major alterations) and you've just eliminated all that.

I would recommend to grab that dress and parade around your house repeating "mine, mine, mine, mine". Twirl and start feeling beautiful!

• I bought a sample dress.   It needed alterations but I'm thrilled I had a higher quality dress at a lower price point.
  • I bought a sample dress years ago, and I was happy to have found it.  I made minor repairs myself.  I wore it on my wedding day for four hours.  Fond memories of that dress!

I don't understand your problem.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I didn't get a sample dress, but I did buy mine at a thrift store. It certainly wasn't made just for me, and it needed cleaning and alterations, but I made it into my dream dress, and it was a great decision!

Definitely inspect your dress now, get the right undergarments for it (if it's just a little tight, Spanx can may help, but it may still need to be let out), get it altered and cleaned if necessary. And rejoice in staying within budget!