Attire & Accessories Forum

Post Dress Purchasing Anxiety - I bought a sample dress

I need moral support.

A month ago I went to my first dress appointment, my budget was $2,500 - $3,000. The 5th dress I tried on, I fell in love with, however the consultant put me in a $4,800 Matthew Christopher dress, and I didn't know the price until I already fell in love with it. 

In an effort to find something in my price range, I went to about 4 other appointments, but kept comparing every dress to the first Matthew Christopher dress.

I went back to the first salon for a Matthew Christopher trunk show and the dream dress sample - The one I had originally tried on - was on sale for $2,900!! I about died and bought it right on the spot.

Now I'm so nervous that I made this decision so quickly, they said it was a sample in perfect condition but I didn't even inspect it myself, and it's a little tight. Does purchasing a sample dress mean that I didn't really get the dress the best I could have? (although I couldn't afford it if I hadn't bought the sample). I'm feeling kind of upset about purchasing a sample dress that I'm not personally ordering and is coming in perfect condition made just for me.

Also the dress is not what I had always imagined myself wearing. I always imagined myself in a stark white Cinderella dress, and this dress is so different - a little ivory, A-line and has hand embroidered flowers all over the bottom of it.

Is it normal to feel this way? help! freaking out.

Re: Post Dress Purchasing Anxiety - I bought a sample dress

• 1. I don't think purchasing a sample means you didn't get the best dress you could have. In fact, there are benefits, such as not having to worry about it coming in late or coming in the wrong size or with something wrong with it.

2. Your dress sounds stunning. Feel free to share pictures. Have you decided on accessories or a hair style yet? You may find your original excitement over your dress picks back up once you see the full look of it with hair and accessories (and alterations, if needed).
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I know I'm a little late here, but I bought my dress a little impulsively as well.  I know I love my dress but I've been anxious ever since I bought it.  Part of that is that I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and have struggled to lose or maintain weight over the past year since I bought it.  One thing I  did was I took it to a seamstress about three months ago.  My wedding isn't until October but I brought it in so that I could learn what was possible if I wasn't able to lose the 3-4 lbs needed to make it fit well (it really is a little tight like you say yours is!).
    She made me feel SO good.  She told me it wouldn't be an issue to let it out and she did not seemed concerned at all.  I felt free after that and really could enjoy that I have the gown I wanted.  I still hope I've been able to lose enough to save the money and not have to let it out! BUT I know it is easy to get it to be perfect.
    Maybe try something like this?