Snarky Brides

April Fools Snark

A friend called me up and asked me to pretend to be her doctor and call her confirming she's pregnant. She wants to trick her boyfriend and his parents. I think such "pranks" are in poor taste regardless of situation but this situation is especially compelling. Boyfriend's parents had eleven miscarriages before he was born. Friend knows this and still doesn't catch the insensitivity because " it's been so long" and "it's about a grandkid now, not a kid" and "they think he's too young for kids anyways". People are so daft! What April Fools pranks are you side-eyeing this year? 

Re: April Fools Snark

• A friend called me up and asked me to pretend to be her doctor and call her confirming she's pregnant. She wants to trick her boyfriend and his parents. I think such "pranks" are in poor taste regardless of situation but this situation is especially compelling. Boyfriend's parents had eleven miscarriages before he was born. Friend knows this and still doesn't catch the insensitivity because " it's been so long" and "it's about a grandkid now, not a kid" and "they think he's too young for kids anyways". People are so daft! What April Fools pranks are you side-eyeing this year? 
    This is a no. Anything to do with pregnancy as a joke is not funny. 

We didn't do April Fools, but my dad and I did pull a few practical jokes on family members at other times of the year. April Fools is too predictable.
  • That is just mean and not a joke at all! I don't do April Fool's pranks.
  • That is just mean and not a joke at all! I don't do April Fool's pranks.
  • My cousin pretended to get married last year and got upset when I told her that it was mean spirited. I really hate April Fool's Day pranks.
  • I feel like a quality April Fool's prank needs to be over within 5 minutes if believable or so silly it's known immediately.   Like this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/april-fools-2017/?icpg=HP_Carousel_looflirpa2017_1 
  • I hate April Fools.  This year wasn't bad, though, it was actually pretty awesome.  We had a huge snowstorm, and at the place I work we played Christmas music while we opened the store, which customers thought was funny given the snow.  A couple girls also came in early and hid over 40 little pics of Dwight from The Office everywhere, along with a few Nicholas Cages.  I was still finding more today, and it was really fun to find all the creative hiding places--you open a drawer, turn a corner, etc, and Bam!  Dwight.  His head was even on the Wet Floor sign where the stick figure's head would go, which was hilarious.
  • Adult Swim gets an honorary mention for being an epic troll this April Fools and actually releasing the first episode of Rick and Morty season three. 
  • Your friend sounds like jerk and I would be doing a lot more than just side eyeing when she asked me to pretend to be a doctor. gross.

• Yeah, I would ditch this friend right quick. Not someone I would want in my life. 
  • One of my FB friends posted a bunch of wedding pictures and said they eloped. It turned out they were helping out a photographer friend build a portfolio but it was still annoying. I was like 99% sure it was a joke, but I still rolled my eyes. And a lot of people were congratulating them. 

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    April Fools is my bday and, let me tell you, growing up - IT SUCKS.  Kids are mean when it is your bday and they feel like they can trick you.  

Once a kid brought me a dirty old used paper back book and a container of tic-tacs.  Wrapped so nicely.  When I opened them up, he yelled, "YOU THINK I GOT YOU A BIRTHDAY PRESENT?! APRIL FOOLS!!!!!!"  Yeah, good one, douche.

• Honestly, I would love to say my facebook friend's list is above that but one girl did that .... I nearly unfriended her because I just find that so below.

I know a few people who are Ricky & Morty fans and like @Greenjinjo   Adult Swim played season 3, and people were freaking out because not everyone was able to see it :')

This was the level of my April Fools joke:

This is awesome and I'm stealing it.
  • edited April 2017
    Awww. Happy belated birthday, @Ro041!
    I feel like pranks have just evolved into some kind of meanness competition, honestly. Especially with the YouTube culture. Aforementioned friend has a vlogging channel with 200K+ subscribers. (I know that isn't much for some but I personally think it's a lot.) Additionally, there are so many famous prank channels and most of the stuff they do is mean. Maybe I'm boring, but I think any prank that saddens a person isn't really a prank. Pregnancy pranks, cheating pranks, injury pranks, breakup/divorce pranks, and so on. But I have noticed that these pranks are a bit of a trend. 
    Anyways, I'm glad April Fools Day is over. 

@southernbelle0915 I may be wrong, but I presume that anyone who plays such insensitive jokes probably also has some other empathy flaws. I just want someone who plays such pranks to actually explain to me ALL the logic and objective justifications that hold weight. 

ETA: To clarify, I'm using the term "friend" very loosely. It's a pretty one sided "friendship" where she's just approaches me when she desires something of me and I don't really ever approach her. I don't actually have many proper friends. Acquaintance would be a better term. But I've been told I come across as arrogant when I refer to people who consider me their friend as my acquaintances. Sorry for the confusion!
  • This was my April's Fools Day FB post:

Totally writing a post that's completely opposite of what I hold most dear in a lame attempt to shock my friends.

Friends shocked and appalled!

Now pointing and laughing at friends and saying April Fools and mocking their sincere concern.

Where did all my friends go?

• I'm with most of you.  I really don't like pranks.  At any time of the year.  Most aren't funny and just fall into the category of "mean".

@NiceKindaSpice, your friend's "prank" is especially galling.  Is she also planning to ROFL when her b/f's mom breaks down into tears after friend says, "April Fool's!"

I like @missfrodo's work's version.  It's just fun and funny, nothing mean spirited.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm ok with silly stuff on April Fool's. But I agree with PPs who say certain things are off limits. Is that girl trying to trick her BF into proposing or something? What a jerk. 

In my neighborhood there's a restaurant that participates in April Fool's by changing their sign to something crazy. This year they put up something in Russian and I heard it was about Putin taking over the restaurant and offering a 13 inch hot dog. Heh.

But also... I follow my neighborhood Chamber of Commerce on Facebook. On 4/1 they posted something about changing their mission and now The Rock was taking over and all things would now be related to wrestling. Silly, right? Well on 4/2 they posted a sincere apology to upsetting their audience. What. The fuck? People got pissed over that? Unbelievable. 

• The only "prank" my partner and I have ever pulled was when we announced our new family member and everyone freaked out that i was pregnant forgetting that my partner and i can't have children ( medically and confirmed). 

We were adopting a puppy and hadn't thought people would jump to the wrong conclusion because all our fb friends are either family or good friends... it actually back fired on me really cause i got really upset when people said our puppy didn't count as a family member.  
  • nassyv12 said:
    The only "prank" my partner and I have ever pulled was when we announced our new family member and everyone freaked out that i was pregnant forgetting that my partner and i can't have children ( medically and confirmed). 

We were adopting a puppy and hadn't thought people would jump to the wrong conclusion because all our fb friends are either family or good friends... it actually back fired on me really cause i got really upset when people said our puppy didn't count as a family member.  
    Image result for didnt read gif
    *********************************************************************************