Snarky Brides

Wearing white to all the things ever

Maybe I'm missing something, but since when did people get engaged and wear white to EVERY single event that they had? Maybe I'm in the wrong, but I have an engagement party this friday for a family member. I wanted to wear a cute white dress w/flowers on it (big flowers, but the dress was definitely white with DEFINITELY colored flowers) and it was unacceptable.

Granted, I did ask, but I wanted to just be polite, more of a "hey, does this dress fit the formality of your party?" kind of way, not "Can I wear this sort of white dress and step on your toes" way.

All the other dresses I have are black, which I don't love wearing in the summer because I like light colors. I'm just here to complain, if I am wrong and this is a real thing, please enlighten me.

Re: Wearing white to all the things ever

• I totally agree. This wearing white is a new "wedding" thing. DD was all worried about finding an all white dress to wear to her RD. I finally convinced her it wasn't necessary. She has worn the dress she ended up getting several times. As for your dress, I wouldn't consider it white if it has colored flowers. Too bad you asked.
  • edited August 2017
    I wore a white skirt and pale pink top to my bridal shower. That being said, it was late June and I wanted to look nice. {I joked later I should have worn black because it was an old hollywood/audrey hepburn/breakfast at tiffany's inspired theme :) }

That was really only 'event' that I wore white to except for the wedding .... later on I changed into green shorts and black tshirt and people said I should have worn white still ....
  • Oh jeez, yeah the all white to wedding everything is taking it WAY too far! My cousin's wife wore white to everything and then to dinner every night on their honeymoon (she's just that kind of person though, ugh). 

I still wouldn't wear solid white to a wedding event, but a white dress with colored flowers to a shower? Go for it! It sounds very seasonably appropriate, and I agree, I feel weird wearing black in the summer.
  • Well, the problem I was having is the invite says "formal" but fh was told he doesn't need a jacket or tie (it's his family member). I have black cocktail dresses, or sundresses. There is no in between, so I went out and found this cute dress that matched a pair of shoes I had and sent it to them with something like "does this work" and I was informed it's "too white." So I will search tomorrow but if I don't find something I'll just wear one of my cute sundresses :)
  • I don't plan on wearing white to anything but my wedding (and my dress is ivory anyway) I just don't see when I'd realistically be able to wear any of it again. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My sister wore white to her e-party, shower, bachelorette, and RD.  I thought it was unnecessary.  I'm not sure why this is becoming a thing (I've seen it on social media a few times as well.)  
  • eileenrob said:
    My sister wore white to her e-party, shower, bachelorette, and RD.  I thought it was unnecessary.  I'm not sure why this is becoming a thing (I've seen it on social media a few times as well.)  

I mean, I guess a bride can wear what they want to various wedding related events.  But it's just...odd.

News flash.  A bride doesn't even have to wear a white/whitish dress to her wedding for her marriage to be "valid", lol.  I personally hate the color white for my coloring and came very close to wearing an emerald green ball gown for my wedding dress.  I did end up wearing a white dress, but it had red accents across the bodice, hemline, and back.  It nicely broke up the "all white", which looks crappy on me.

Fun fact.  In Western culture, a white bridal dress gained popularity and "tradition" in the later 1800s.  Though primarily for the upper classes.  Because it said, "My family is so wealthy, I got married in a one-time wear dress that is a totally impractical color for everyday wear."   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ellamber said:
    ...the invite says "formal" but fh was told he doesn't need a jacket or tie (it's his family member). 
    Right here tells me you can ignore whatever else these people say about clothing (and etiquette). 
    *********************************************************************************

• BUT HOW WILL PEOPLE KNOW SHE'S THE BRIDE?! 

White is for the bride on her wedding day. That's it. Outside of that, there is no "dibs".

Now, would I wear a solid white dress to a pre-wedding party? Probably not. But a white dress with some kind of pattern on it? Yes, I would. And I wouldn't feed sorry about it. 

At least for the bachelorette party...

because she will be wearing a tiara and a sash that says BRIDE!

I actually don't side-eye that, but it was my answer to @southernbelle0915's "question", lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ellamber said:
    ...the invite says "formal" but fh was told he doesn't need a jacket or tie (it's his family member). 
    Right here tells me you can ignore whatever else these people say about clothing (and etiquette). 
    I agree... but I do not want to ruffle feathers in FH family ;) I'll be wearing a sundress and my flip flops.
  • ellamber said:
    ellamber said:
    I agree... but I do not want to ruffle feathers in FH family ;) I'll be wearing a sundress and my flip flops.
    @ellamber said, "......... so I went out and found this cute dress that matched a pair of shoes I had and sent it to them with something like "does this work" and I was informed it's "too white."

You went waaaay above and beyond the call of duty with that text.    Sounds like the type of group that will always find something wrong. 
  • MobKaz said:
    ellamber said:
    ellamber said:
    @ellamber said, "......... so I went out and found this cute dress that matched a pair of shoes I had and sent it to them with something like "does this work" and I was informed it's "too white."

You went waaaay above and beyond the call of duty with that text.    Sounds like the type of group that will always find something wrong. 
    I realize this, had I known I was even "in the wrong" i wouldve skipped the text and just worn the dress. I just didn't want to be over or under dressed. but apparently, its a free for all, so I'll just wear something comfortable that I already have.
  • ellamber said:
    MobKaz said:
    ellamber said:
    ellamber said:

I realize this, had I known I was even "in the wrong" i wouldve skipped the text and just worn the dress. I just didn't want to be over or under dressed. but apparently, its a free for all, so I'll just wear something comfortable that I already have.
    Please recall this event when selecting your attire for the wedding.  Unless you are a BM, as a guest it is entirely up to you!
  • ellamber said:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but since when did people get engaged and wear white to EVERY single event that they had? Maybe I'm in the wrong, but I have an engagement party this friday for a family member. I wanted to wear a cute white dress w/flowers on it (big flowers, but the dress was definitely white with DEFINITELY colored flowers) and it was unacceptable.

Granted, I did ask, but I wanted to just be polite, more of a "hey, does this dress fit the formality of your party?" kind of way, not "Can I wear this sort of white dress and step on your toes" way.

All the other dresses I have are black, which I don't love wearing in the summer because I like light colors. I'm just here to complain, if I am wrong and this is a real thing, please enlighten me.
    I've been wondering this too! Thanks. I'm not even wearing a white wedding dress so this is just weird. 

I don't wear white in real life because I'm a slob and white doesn't stay white.