Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Gifts!

Hey everyone, 

I'm about 6 weeks out from the wedding (HOLY CRAP!) and I'm starting to decide what to get each bridesmaid. I had originally thought matching monogrammed stuff but then I realized that I should probably get them stuff that they'll want/need, not stuff for MY wedding, that they're already getting a bunch of things for. 

So, I'm getting them all different things, based on their likes/interests. One of my bridesmaids is getting married a few months after me and I was thinking of getting her some of the nice picture frames off of her registry as well as a couple of other items. I don't see a problem with this, seeing as it's something that I know she wants. Just wanted to get others' opinions. 

Re: Bridesmaid Gifts!

• Hey everyone, 

I'm about 6 weeks out from the wedding (HOLY CRAP!) and I'm starting to decide what to get each bridesmaid. I had originally thought matching monogrammed stuff but then I realized that I should probably get them stuff that they'll want/need, not stuff for MY wedding, that they're already getting a bunch of things for. 

So, I'm getting them all different things, based on their likes/interests. One of my bridesmaids is getting married a few months after me and I was thinking of getting her some of the nice picture frames off of her registry as well as a couple of other items. I don't see a problem with this, seeing as it's something that I know she wants. Just wanted to get others' opinions. 
    I'm kind of torn on that. If you were buying her a gift for her birthday, would you do the same?
  • edited August 2017
    DrillSergeantCat said:
    Hey everyone, 

I'm kind of torn on that. If you were buying her a gift for her birthday, would you do the same?

That I don't know. I guess not since they're two separate events but this, I'm thinking why not get her something that she needs, since the gift isn't necessarily 'required' and I know she likes it. That was also going to be only half of her gift. The rest of the stuff was going to be something else that wasn't related to her wedding/her registry.
  • I just don't know. You know she'll like it, obviously. My MIL uses my old registry for gift ideas. I don't think she'd be offended or anything. It just feels a bit odd to buy her a wedding present as a thank you.
  • It's an interesting approach to get something off her registry - obviously you know she wants it so that's a big plus. I don't know though...The registry is really for the couple and their wedding, you know? It's not as much of a "thank you, best friend, for standing next to me on the most important day of my life". 

If it were me, I'd get her the frames for her shower (or the wedding itself) and then do something just for her for the "thank you" gift.
    *********************************************************************************

• I don't think there's a problem for it, but I do think it's a little weird.

Another thought: 2 months before our wedding my then-FI had a big birthday. He didn't want anything wedding related because we were a little burnt out on it. Also, we were saving like crazy, so we didn't have much money to splurge on things. I think the best thing he got was a gift card to a nice restaurant from his parents: we went out to dinner and did not think about our wedding or our finances for a whole night and it was wonderful. 

Maybe do something like that for her?
  • I don't see any problem with buying her something off her registry so long as you are doing separate gifts for each occasion. I think it's really really strange people are concerned about this. 
    My bff got married over two years ago and I STILL get her presents off her registry for her b-day and Christmas every year. I even told her this past birthday that she needs to add more stuff to her registry so I can keep it going. It's stuff I know she really wants, but won't splurge on herself. I can keep getting her stuff I know she'd like on my own, but it's also nice to have a list of things that she really does want, but can't get right now. 

Really, this isn't any different a concept than having an amazon wish list open to the public/family and friends. 

• I think this is perfect and you know that she will like it.
  • I'm on team get the frames. I'm a big fan of using registries for birthday/holiday gifts before after the wedding. I would consider this the same. It's not a wedding gift for being in your wedding, it's a thank you gift selected from a list of things you know she wants. 
  • My ILs used our registry for Christmas gifts for us a few months before the wedding, and I thought that was a great idea, since the gift was for both of us and obviously something we wanted/needed.

Something feels weird about the frames but I can't put my finger on it so I'd say go for it. If you've got room in your budget, could you also include something a little less wedding-y and more personal to just her?

(Also, in regards to one of your replies..a thank you gift for your wedding party is typically required, to show them you appreciate their time/money/etc)
  • My ILs used our registry for Christmas gifts for us a few months before the wedding, and I thought that was a great idea, since the gift was for both of us and obviously something we wanted/needed.

Something feels weird about the frames but I can't put my finger on it so I'd say go for it. If you've got room in your budget, could you also include something a little less wedding-y and more personal to just her?

(Also, in regards to one of your replies..a thank you gift for your wedding party is typically required, to show them you appreciate their time/money/etc)
    Hi! I'm not doing just the frames, that was only going to be half of the gift, the something was going to be from me, personal to her, I had planned for that, budget-wise.

Also, I understand that it's expected but gifts are never really required. Though, I had planned to get all of my BMs and MOH gifts of course. 

Hi! I'm not doing just the frames, that was only going to be half of the gift, the something was going to be from me, personal to her, I had planned for that, budget-wise.

Also, I understand that it's expected but gifts are never really required. Though, I had planned to get all of my BMs and MOH gifts of course. 
    Ahhhh ok yeah then that sounds good! :) 
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a bridesmaid a gift that she's already registered for as a bridesmaid gift, but I would give her a separate wedding gift from her registry and not use one gift for both occasions.