Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Wooo, party!! Wait, I have to feed them?

So we finally hashed out a date and settled on a vendor that was way under budget and would accommodate that date - Halloween of 18! Which was a lot harder than we thought it would be. The venue, Huntsville State Park, is gorgeous, and will host about 75 people. Groovy, that's not too many people for either of us! So it's a Legend of Zelda wedding on Halloween, and we encourage guests to come in cosplay. Best party ever!!

Except that the food has me drawing a complete and total blank. I think about the menu and hear the wind blowing over the desert. We figure the time will be afternoon/evening, so we know we have to feed people more than cookies. The cookie table, however, is all I have figured out XD 

Because it's a state park, we have to provide our own catering. Kay. My MoH's husband has a catering company and I know his food is amazing. But I have absolutely no idea what to tell him. I thought about trying to have an all elvish-inspired sit down menu, but there aren't many cookbooks for Lord of the Rings or Legend of Zelda. 

After looking up Halloween menu ideas, all I got were lots of booze and pumpkin spice and pumpkin soup and pumpkin ravioli... Tasty as those are, it's a little much XD Buffet leaves me with the same blank. And Halloween party foods I found were all little kid stuff. 

So what do you feed 70 people at a fantasy wedding on Halloween that celebrates nerds other than lots of Pocky? 

Re: Wooo, party!! Wait, I have to feed them?

• Theme foods are great for kids parties, not so much for adults. Once you have your budget shop around other caterers and restaurants (not just your MOH's husband-  you might come back to these baords next year if things don't go perfectly) and ask what types of apps, entrees and sides you can get for 70 people for that budget.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you want the food to "fit", I'd lean more towards what's fresh in autumn- apples, pears, cabbage, wild mushrooms...the pumpkin soup and ravioli both sound delish.  Think whatever is seasonal in your area.  As opposed to a forced Halloween/Zelda menu.  If you really want a look, I'd lean more towards standard food (apps, crudités, sandwiches/wraps, pasta dishes- it's a day time wedding right?) on Halloween platters.  Or Zelda-colored platters (sorry I don't know anything about Zelda!).  
    Just as example, my twins' second birthday is this weekend, and it's a Thomas the Train themed party.  I'm just serving my normal day time party spread, and the dining room table will have a blue Thomas tablecloth with their trains scattered around the food.  I'm not serving food that looks like trains or is train-themed.  
    Ditto PP re dressing up being via word of mouth, not written anywhere.
  • I think you are overthinking this.  People care about food.  They don't care about themes when it comes to eating.

I know all about Zelda.  My kids are both nerds.  Daughter had a groom's cake with Dungeons and Dragons on it, but it wasn't a theme wedding.

Be careful about overdoing your theme.  "Wedding" should be the most important word in your guests thinking, not cos-play.  What about your relatives who might not be into Zelda?  Will they be comfortable with your plans?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I think you are overthinking this.  People care about food.  They don't care about themes when it comes to eating.

I know all about Zelda.  My kids are both nerds.  Daughter had a groom's cake with Dungeons and Dragons on it, but it wasn't a theme wedding.

Be careful about overdoing your theme.  "Wedding" should be the most important word in your guests thinking, not cos-play.  What about your relatives who might not be into Zelda?  Will they be comfortable with your plans?
    I know what you're saying, but to the bolded, who gives a shit what they think? As long as they're properly hosted with a comfortable venue and food/drink for the time of day (and not asked to wear costumes!), whether they like Zelda or not is totally irrelevant.

Unless someone is choosing offensive or emotion provoking decorations, like a Nazi theme or something, how they decorate is whatever.
    *********************************************************************************

• Could you ask the catering company if they have a fall seasonal menu? Most of the companies we looked at had pretty standard main dishes but noted that the sides & some of the options may vary by season. You could choose two or three more basic main dishes, and fall-ish sides, like pumpkin something, apple/walnut salad, root veggies...OMG fall veggies are so good.

Halloween-themed food seems to sometimes come off like a kid's party. However, I don't see anything wrong with fun, Halloween desserts! Fun cookies, fall bars, a candy table (you could get those cellophane pumpkin bags for guests to take some home), etc. 
  • CMGragain said:
    I think you are overthinking this.  People care about food.  They don't care about themes when it comes to eating.

I know what you're saying, but to the bolded, who gives a shit what they think? As long as they're properly hosted with a comfortable venue and food/drink for the time of day (and not asked to wear costumes!), whether they like Zelda or not is totally irrelevant.

Unless someone is choosing offensive or emotion provoking decorations, like a Nazi theme or something, how they decorate is whatever.
    I agree; except if there's an expectation or suggestion that guests also dress up to go along with the theme. I don't think guests have to "get" or be a part of the theme for it to be within etiquette, but no one should be expected to dress a certain way either. 
    Exactly, and it sounds like there is an expectation that people dress in theme. 

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    CMGragain said:

I laughed out loud at this, @CMGragain.  My SIL is a huge gamer.  He recently completed his Master's.  Our gift to him was airfare/hotel/ticket to BlizzCon in California this November. 

I love my nerd kids and their spouses <3
  • scribe95 said:
    I would choose a pretty standard menu and use your cake to play up the theme, maybe a soup. The food is so key. It makes a wedding in my opinion. And if you go messing too much just to meet an arbitrary theme I think that would be a shame.
    I agree. Cakes and other desserts could be a fun way to play up your wedding theme, but I wouldn't recommend extending it to the rest of the food. Getting too clever with it could come at the cost of quality and may just end up screaming elementary school Halloween party. Keep the rest of the food more standard, maybe with some autumnal flavors as PP's have suggested. 

I also have to join in with PP's on the costume thing. Even if you are just "encouraging" people to wear costumes to the wedding, people may feel obligated, and that's not really fair. Not everyone is into cosplay or dressing up for Halloween. This means they'd have to go out and buy and/or put something together for your wedding that could cost them a lot of time and money. If your guests who are into cosplay come dressed up of their own accord, that's okay. But I strongly recommend that you not say or do anything to dictate how guests dress for your wedding.
  • Do not do you food the theme but put a theme around the food stations if your having an open buffet. The deserts I would make it to your theme. People really do care about food and if it take good then they are happy. You can always do fun apps. 
  • 1) Book MOH's husband's company professionally 
    2) Give MOH's husband your budget and guest count, DO NOT stress about the actual menu over a year out because food ingredient prices are subject to change and what is cheap this year may be expensive next year.  And even then, it's about appealing to the masses.  
    3) Eat, drink, and be married!  Work the theme in to your desserts where you can be adventurous, not the main meal.
  • SO there are actually a bunch of theme things you can do - I know there's a GOT cook book. Or you could do I kind of 'medieval' themed banquet? 
    do so research and find things you like.

Even if I wasn't into dressing in costume (I am) I think you can add it as optional and people can do it if they want. I've seen pictures of weddings that had a theme where some guest didn't get into it and it was fine.

It's true the actual choosing of food is one of the last things we did so don't stress.