Moms and Maids

Issue with Bridesmaid about Dress

edited August 2017 in Moms and Maids
Hi all, 
I'm hoping you can help me out with some advice please.

Still 9 months to go until WD. One of the joint MOH sent bridal party group chat a BM dress link last month, everyone loved them, easy, lets order them. 
I'm Paying for and ordering dresses. They are on sale end of line, so slight swiftness needed to get the right sizes before sell out. Would like dresses to match.
BM's got back to me straight away with sizes except one (sister). When i asked her for dress size the day after, she complained saying 'she thought i wasn't ordering them until later on' and took a further week to get her measurements. Eventually, dress ordered (it was on sale and didn't want to miss a size and have to send them all back). (they sent the wrong one and it was out of stock but managed to swap and get the right one for her a week later when one came back in, then sold out again).

So this week a month later i asked her if we can meet up to try her dress, she glosses over/ignores the message about meet up and i don't hear from her until the next day (also she's my younger sister). She messages me making casual conversation until i ask again 'can we meet up and when is she free' to which she says 'there's lots of time'. I ask her, 'does she have lots of time or lots of time before the wedding?' and she confirms the wedding. So i gently say, ideally it needs to be sometime in the next 2 weeks and when is she free? as i'll have to send dress back if it doesn't fit and i just need a little cooperation with a smiley face.

Well she kicks off, calling me rude and that i'm barking orders at her (i.e ask her when was she free to try on a dress) 

Anywho, we argued and she blocked me on messenger. I don't feel i should be having so much trouble just asking her when she's free to try on a dress. I suspect it might be a weight issue (she told me she wanted to loose weight and grow out her hair before the wedding, to which i reassured we can always have the dress taken in, as its a lot more tricky to have them taken out) and when i raised it in said conversation, she was outraged. I immediately apologised if i'd offended her and said i didn't just assume but it was based off of what she had talked to me about before. 
I was thinking perhaps she's ordered a size smaller than she is so doesn't want to tell me that or try it on? i don't know.

Having her create so much drama so early just feels like a bit of a warning flag as its such a small 2 things I've asked her to do ( get measurements and when she can try on a dress) that's literally all. Am i being a Bridezilla?  

I've been upset about it for the last 4 days (i'm still blocked and we haven't spoken) though i could txt her or call, i haven't as i'm a bit disappointed by her reaction.

What should i/can i do? xx

Re: Issue with Bridesmaid about Dress

• Your wedding is 9 months away. Why does she need to try it on now? Honestly, I'd be pretty peeved at this badgering too. 

Give it a few days and apologize. You are the one creating this drama and stress, not her. 
  • edited August 2017
    Hi ladies, thanks for the responses. 

We aren't massively close, as soon as i found out about her tumble on facebook i sent her a message straight away and regularly over the couple of weeks that followed to see how she was doing. She's been out to other motorbike events and seen friends since as the pictures have been coming up on facebook.

I'm paying for all the dresses and suit for the girls and asked that they get the shoes. We have a shared group and everyone said they like it. I'm not so worried about alterations, more about it being the right basic size (the other BM we had to swap for a size up as it seems to run small).
    My only rush is getting them to try in one at some point in the 28 days so we can swap if needed. 
  • *ooh also they are end of line sale dresses with limited sizes so its a get it before its gone scenario
  • So you have 28 days to exchange them if they don't fit? If you knew that, I would wait until everyone would have been able to try on her dress before buying them. Or choose something else. Honestly if you're buying them, you can pick what you want. (Comfort should be taken into consideration of course). If you know it seems to run small, size up, and then pay for alterations if needed. 

Have you been talking to your sister about non-wedding things? That would be a good way to open that communication again. Also, the ship has kind of sailed on this one, but if you're not super close she doesn't HAVE to be in the wedding. I would be pretty salty if I had immediate issues in my life and someone only wanted to talk about their wedding in 9 months.
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks for the reply Ahoy. Im pretty easy going but as everyone loved the dress, it didnt make sense really to wait with the sale as it would likely sell out. I was planning on having alterations 6 weeks before when i do mine for the wedding dress but this was really just to make sure it wasn't a complete non fit before that point.
    All bridesmaids are so different so we picked a long flattering under bust style and one of the two i'll be getting a maternity in the same style line as she'll be pregnant. 

We don't talk all that often really, i have contacted her regularly though about the accident to see how she is, couple of times a week over the last month. She hasn't been in touch with me outside of this and the only time I've brought up the wedding has been to ask for measurement and to try on the dress, so i'm left feeling bit upset about it all.

*correction i sent her some pictures of the flowers i made for the wedding back in Jan/Feb and she would have seen the post to the group page of what the dress looked like in person when it arrived. but that's it really on the wedding front.
  • ahoyweddingahoywedding member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
    I agree with @charlotte989875. Drop it off at her house, let her know how long she has to let you know if it fits (aka the final date for exchanges), and the drop the subject. You're making a mountain out of an anthill. 

ETA: words.
  • @ahoywedding , omgosh I LOVE YOU!!  I have brown hair, though, and yellow doesn't look that good on me.  That does make me smile, though.
  • MobKaz said:
    Thanks for the reply Ahoy. Im pretty easy going but as everyone loved the dress, it didnt make sense really to wait with the sale as it would likely sell out. I was planning on having alterations 6 weeks before when i do mine for the wedding dress but this was really just to make sure it wasn't a complete non fit before that point.
    All bridesmaids are so different so we picked a long flattering under bust style and one of the two i'll be getting a maternity in the same style line as she'll be pregnant. 

We don't talk all that often really, i have contacted her regularly though about the accident to see how she is, couple of times a week over the last month. She hasn't been in touch with me outside of this and the only time I've brought up the wedding has been to ask for measurement and to try on the dress, so i'm left feeling bit upset about it all.

*correction i sent her some pictures of the flowers i made for the wedding back in Jan/Feb and she would have seen the post to the group page of what the dress looked like in person when it arrived. but that's it really on the wedding front.
    Huh?  You said your wedding day is 9 months away and yet you KNOW someone will be pregnant?  How is that possible? 

Didn't you learn in middle school sex ed, the day you decide to start trying to conceive you get pregnant. Duh. It's not something that can take months if not years for some couples and something that can't really be scheduled like a party.
  • MobKaz said:

Huh?  You said your wedding day is 9 months away and yet you KNOW someone will be pregnant?  How is that possible? 

I had a friend back out of my wedding because they were trying to conceive. Maybe the BM is trying or anticipating or hopeful or literally just found out she was pregnant? My friend is pregnant now, and is due around my WD! She had a plan and stuck to it, I guess!
  • Hi ladies,
    thank you for all your responses.
    i don't care about them being skinny or perfect at all lol. One is black, one is gay short hair wearing suit, one is going to be pregnant ( she's receiving treatment for fertility that's going very well, with check and scans monthly, it's almost a certainty now. I'm so happy for her as they've been trying for 2 years), the other has a load of arm tattoos so it's a complete mixed bag really, I just want them there because of who they are not what they look like. 
    seems to be a misunderstanding on the whole looming while she tries it on side, my sister complained in our argument about wanting to see me, and I though it would be nice to try on together as I have my dress and she hasn't seen it.
    i do realise I was a bit stressed out after the argument but I've let it go and sent the dress back for now. Going to let her come to me when she's ready and we can reorder or sort something else another time. 
  • Hi ladies,
    i don't care about them being skinny or perfect at all lol. One is black, one is gay short hair wearing suit, one is going to be pregnant ( she's receiving treatment for fertility that's going very well, with check and scans monthly, it's almost a certainty now. I'm so happy for her as they've been trying for 2 years), the other has a load of arm tattoos so it's a complete mixed bag really, I just want them there because of who they are not what they look like. 
    seems to be a misunderstanding on the whole looming while she tries it on side, my sister complained in our argument about wanting to see me, and I though it would be nice to try on together as I have my dress and she hasn't seen it.
    i do realise I was a bit stressed out after the argument but I've let it go and sent the dress back for now. Going to let her come to me when she's ready and we can reorder or sort something else another time. 
    Regarding the fertility treatments, I really hope they go as she hopes.  You're putting a lot of eggs in that basket.

Regarding "gay short hair wearing suit" ... are you saying that she's wearing a suit to the wedding?  I'm honestly not following.
  • Hi ladies,
    Regarding the fertility treatments, I really hope they go as she hopes.  You're putting a lot of eggs in that basket.

Regarding "gay short hair wearing suit" ... are you saying that she's wearing a suit to the wedding?  I'm honestly not following.
    OP edited her original post- she initially mentioned that one of her sisters is wearing a suit because she doesn't like to wear dresses. 
  • Hi ladies,
    You sent it back? Why?!? I thought the whole problem was that she might not be able to get it again. Did she ask you to send it back? 
  • justsie said:
    Hi ladies,

OP edited her original post- she initially mentioned that one of her sisters is wearing a suit because she doesn't like to wear dresses. 
    Ah, thanks!  I thought something felt off.
  • Hi ladies,
    Ok, I don't seen how race, sexuality/gender or tattoos have to do with being skinny, and I don't see how any of them have to do with being perfect. (In fact, andro women in suits are usually pretty perfect in my book ;) )

I know it's not your intention, but you're coming off as tokenizing your friends, or loving them despite who they are instead of because of. 

To the second bolded: Did you talk to her before sending the dress back? This seems pretty extreme, and the subtext comes off as "You're not in my wedding party unless you make this better, then you'll have a different dress from everyone else anyway." Which, as others have said, is usually NBD. But it's kind of stigmatizing when you had a dress for her, but you've sent it back because she didn't want to try it on in your timeline.
    Thank your for articulating what I was feeling reading that. OP, women that are black, and tattooed, and "gay with short hair" are perfect and beautiful. FULL STOP. 
  • *face palm*
    I'm new to posting on forums and I seem to be making this worse by not explaining myself right. 

back to what holyguacamole79 said
    "don't let your desire to have a wedding look a certain way interfere with your desire & intent to honor your sister's relationship with you."

To be Very Very Clear... I was just trying to say, i don't care what they look like, fat/thin/whatever their external appearance it doesn't matter to me (and for the record i think they're all beautiful just as they are and want them to be happy and comfortable).
    I was just trying to make that point and say that i'm not looking for that uniform photo magazine bridesmaid collection that some people go for.
    My sisters weight whatever it may be doesn't matter to me in the slightest (big or small). Only that she's there to share the experience with me on the day. Can i also point out that we're very similar size 12 and 14.
    Of course just sending it back would be a dick move. Which is why i ordered another one before i sent it back.
    I did overreact a little initially with the original post but its not about the dress in reality (i'm pretty resourceful and you can always sort stuff like that out).

I think its more about the way shes behaving (totally accept i'm also at fault here btw), she kicks off, and then says about wanting to spend time together but its only on her terms, she doesn't message me and this was really going to be the first wedding thing we've done together since i got engaged 8 months ago (as we don't talk about it). I did ask her to be a BM so we could share the experience together so i felt the first time i ask her when she's free to do something related to it i get a big knock back.

I consider myself a pretty understanding and laid back person generally so i feel if can meet people half way or do anything to make things right i will but if they don't tell me whats wrong/going on i cant do much about it and this was pretty much the focus of our argument from my side.

Feel like i'm getting quite the negative slap down in this thread thus far but i can see how it comes across badly in the original posts and try and take what people say on board.

Its all just silliness really. 
  •  I did ask her to be a BM so we could share the experience together so i felt the first time i ask her when she's free to do something related to it i get a big knock back.
    Lesson for lurkers ... don't ask someone to be in your bridal party with the intent of it bringing you closer together.  It often leads to unrealistic expectations & hurt feelings.
  • OP - It sounds like your sister just wants to hang out with you and NOT talk about the wedding.  Remember you will be more excited about your wedding than anyone else (except your FI).  Some people just aren't wedding people either.

Hang out with your sister and don't mention the wedding or the BM dress.  Improve your relationship outside of the wedding.