Budget Weddings Forum

Budget friendly wedding video?

What is the best way to get my wedding video and stay under $200 or so? Would it be too stressful to appoint someone to video on their camera/iPad and edit it on my own on Windows Movie Maker or an app after the honeymoon? Most of the cheap options I can find only offer a 3 minute highlight- but I want to look back and see my entire ceremony! Although I also love how the expensive wedding videos are all professional looking and cinematic. Suggestions?

Re: Budget friendly wedding video?

• What is the best way to get my wedding video and stay under $200 or so? Would it be too stressful to appoint someone to video on their camera/iPad and edit it on my own on Windows Movie Maker or an app after the honeymoon? Most of the cheap options I can find only offer a 3 minute highlight- but I want to look back and see my entire ceremony! Although I also love how the expensive wedding videos are all professional looking and cinematic. Suggestions?

No, don't appoint someone who is supposed to be a guest at your wedding to work it- that won't be fun for them event if they are nice and don't share those feelings with you. I'd check with any local schools to see if they have any programs with students who would be able to do this and give you the raw footage. I wouldn't use Windows Movie Maker if you are wanting it to look professional, the free program won't do much beyond cutting scenes for you and adding a title. 
  • Sorry, you can't do this for $200. Not even close. It's a big job. 
  • We are going to try out WedReel for our wedding.  It relies on your guests to upload video's to your personalized site.  Their video editors then piece the video's together and create a single video for you.  Granted if you are having an "unplugged" ceremony this will not work, but could be a budget friendly option.  
  • bmbly10 has a good suggestion! And I also agree with justsie about Movie Maker. If you ended up doing something like that, Adobe has all its creative cloud products from CS2 for free now since they're so old, and they have a good video editing program, Premiere. Or you can download the newest version on a free-trial, too.

You can always put out a local ad somewhere or ask around on social media if there is a young student into that sort of thing that has some expereince, but is still building their resume/portfolio and therefore would be willing to do it for a bit cheaper. Kids like this may very well be in high school, a lot of college kids doing that sort of thing usually have way more experience by that point and can charge more. But it all depends on who you get, how much experience they have, how talented they are, and what kind of equipment they have access to.

Ask them if they have any previous work to show you, and if you like it (or if you're willing to take a chance on someone brand new to the trade), you can negotiate a price and tell them they can use it for their portfolio and you can give them a rating or something if they have a start-up.
  • May I suggest Thumbtack or Wedding. You post what you are looking for, and you receive responses from professionals. You may have to double that price however, and yes, please don't have someone attending record for you; he or she would want to just enjoy the wedding instead of working at it.

We used Thumbtack and after reviewing the websites of some videographers, we went with my favorite, who offered us a highlight reel, and everything that took place on the day (ceremony, reception, interviews with guests and the photo-shoot afterwards). WE LOVED THE FINISHED PRODUCT!!! The videographer had just done a few Wedding Videos and was trying to get more established in the industry, so his cost was verrryyyy low (but a little higher than yours). Private message me if you need more details.

~ K

• For what it's worth, just set a camera up on a tripod and have someone from the WP tap the "Record" button at the designated time.  You're not going to do this for under $200.. js...
  • I have zero regrets about not having a wedding video. A few of my friends who have gotten videos have only viewed them once. If having it is important at an inexpensive price, I would set up a tripod and have someone press play. I would not ask a guest or wedding party member to do the actual video taping.
  • Um...$200. When I was in uni, I do part-time photographing. I asked $100 for a hour plus cutting& editing. It's because I am just an amateur but I need practice. The customer loves it but I have to admit, it's not as fancy as professional ones. I did it for uni graduates. Perhaps you can ask someone from uni or who loves photographing but just an amateur. 
  • Average cost for a Wedding Videographer ranges from $890~1250. It will record your wedding memory, you should need a professional videographer.