Wedding Woes

It's been just over 200 days...

Doesn't it feel like it's been a year or more?

Anyhoo...Yay for progress?  I wonder if they found anything?  

And because it's felt like for-ev-er, I also am antsy for Mueller and Co. to move faster...I know it takes time and it's only been 3ish months?   And yes, they should leave no stone un-turned but, I'm praying we're not nuked before anything can be done.  

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/09/politics/paul-manafort-search-fbi-russian-interference/index.html

Re: It's been just over 200 days...

• The longest three months ever!

I have to say, the one benefit to a Trump presidency is that it has been such a shit show he hasn't been able to sign legislation that would destroy my moms life - so at least there's that.  A competent Republican by now would probably have overturned the ACA and started in on SSDI.

That's a good, but scary point.  I've thought the same thing.  Popular opinion for Trump is just so low that it seems like a lot of Republicans are trying to distance themselves from him.  The ACA not being completely repealed (with no replacement!) was a big sign of that.

I was watching a South Park re-run last night that ran during the POTUS election season.  It was even more alarming to watch now than it was at the time!  Mr. Garrison ran for President as a lark.  But then gained a lot of popularity and was the front runner against Clinton.  He starts bluntly saying in all his speeches things like, "Don't vote for me.  I ran as a joke.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  Please stop this nightmare and let me go.  Vote for Hillary.  She has experience and can actually lead this country.  I can't."

But the more he protests, the more popular he becomes.  His supporters are saying, "He's so honest!  Telling it like it is."  "It's great!  He's not like a politician at all."  He even starts denigrating his supporters with, "What is WRONG with all of you!?!  Don't vote for me!"

Maybe if we can survive the next 1 3/4 years, the elections for Congress will shift the balance to Democratic and his insanity can at least be kept in check until the next POTUS election.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not quite Trump related, but I found this article really interesting.  It's talking about that we're in this weird place right now where there are a lot of unemployed people looking for the right job and not having any luck.  But there are also a lot of job openings.  With CEOs/managers complaining they can't find qualified workers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2017/08/08/there-are-7-million-unemployed-and-6-2-million-job-openings-whats-the-problem/

I generally call b.s. when I hear businesses complain they can't find qualified workers.  Unless something is very specialized, they aren't adding the second part of that sentence.  They can't find qualified workers...for the crap "can't even make ends meet" wages they want to pay.  Or they are excessively picky for what they want.

I recently had dinner with another real estate investor in NOLA.  Our meeting turned into, "Hey, you might be perfect to hire for my company.  I need a lot of help."  He told me about the revolving door he'd had trying to find a good assistant and what tasks he wanted that person to do.  How he was so frustrated.  Quite frankly, it was a job with a lot of responsibility and someone who would need to have a large variety of skills.  With the exception of a few things he'd need to train anyone on, I could not have been a more perfect candidate.  Except he could only afford to pay mid-$30Ks.  He even admitted he knew it was more a $60K job (his number, not mine), but just couldn't afford that yet.  I would have left my job for low $50s.  I think he could have found someone close for mid $40s, but mid $30s is crazy.  Whelp.  Yeah.  He couldn't afford the kind of employee he wanted.  Which is fair enough and understandable.  But then don't complain you can't find qualified people ;).  And I think a lot of business people fall in that category.

I'm also thinking about the job offer you'd recently been negotiating, @kimmiinthemitten, and are about to turn down because it's not enough.

Or, they're complaining just to complain.  I was recently reading an article in my local paper with a business owner in the IT industry.  The whole article was him talking about how hard it is to find IT people in NOLA.  Especially of African American descent.  Seemed a poor idea to me to be blatant about your preferential race to hire but, whatever.  I still immediately forwarded the article to my H.  A long time unemployed, but very high level and experienced IT guy.  H went to the guy's website to look at job openings.  There was not even one in the IT field!  Ummm...okay.  H sent his resume anyway with an open cover letter.  But never heard anything back.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2017
    I saw a story on NBC Nightly news in the last week about how the stock market is going up and home prices are rising, but wages have only risen .5% (not sure what measure of time they were using).  

And I can attest to that.  I used to get 4-5% raises, even 6% once or twice.  Now 3% is a dream.  And I should consider myself lucky, apparently!  DH is in the same boat.  He got a stellar review this year and a 3% raise.  

It's going to catch up to the stock market and home prices.  We are primed for another 2007-2008, sooner than later.  :-/
  • @short+sassy that is exactly SO's company all the time. They don't have the employees they want. They finally get a good employee. Employee leaves for a competitor that pays (usually slightly) better. Company wonders why they never hire anyone who stays. Um...because you pay them shit? 

In regards to Trump getting nothing done, I think he/this administration is getting more done than the average person realizes, and that scares me. What also scares me is the thought of Pence being president if Trump is somehow impeached.  Pence actually knows how to work the system, and he's someone Republicans get can behind. 

• Oh my goodness, yes!  Tradespeople can make amazing incomes.  Much more than a lot of the typical "office/need a college degree" kind of jobs.  And good ones are hard to find.  I have an awesome "go to" plumber and electrician for when I need that kind of work.  Which is fairly often.  As far as I'm concerned, they're made of gold.  My plumber with no college degree, makes $50/hour and is always busy.  He isn't even licensed, but he's good and has a lot of experience.  He also has a hook up with a licensed plumber, for when that is needed.

For one of our rehabs, we needed a licensed plumber to sign off on the work.  He was also the one who had to go to the Sewerage and Water Board and request their inspection.  So our plumber did all the work.  And then his licensed plumber friend came.  Spent less than two hours doing everything, including going to SWB to submit the permit.  He was paid $500 for all of that!  And that's on the cheap side.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Skilled tradespeople could make a killing in the Gulf Coast. I do some mentoring and events through Junior Achievement, and that's something that I always share with the kids - if they don't think college is for them or is not something they can afford, and they like working with their hands, they can make quite a bit of money, and can usually get a lot of experience on the job/with minimal formal training. The other area that I recommend for kids interested in STEM is software engineering/architecture. There is a lack of qualified workers in this area, and there's a lot of job growth/opportunity, and you can be paid *very* well. Engineering degrees (in general) will also open a lot of doors, even if they don't work in the field or in design. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    Skilled tradespeople could make a killing in the Gulf Coast. I do some mentoring and events through Junior Achievement, and that's something that I always share with the kids - if they don't think college is for them or is not something they can afford, and they like working with their hands, they can make quite a bit of money, and can usually get a lot of experience on the job/with minimal formal training. The other area that I recommend for kids interested in STEM is software engineering/architecture. There is a lack of qualified workers in this area, and there's a lot of job growth/opportunity, and you can be paid *very* well. Engineering degrees (in general) will also open a lot of doors, even if they don't work in the field or in design. 
    Our high schools have a RAP (Registered Apprenticeship Program) class that I really push to my junior high kids when we talk about careers.  Starting in grade 11 and continuing through grade 12, you do your core HS diploma classes in term 1 and then go work as a first year apprentice in a trade for term two.  They count the paid work towards work experience and options/CTF credits.  If you continue through in grade 12, you graduate with your diploma and your first year of apprenticeship under your belt, ready for year 2.  I wonder if something like this is offered a lot in the US??

• The kiddo's taking courses at the career center.  I've always thought he should try for a skilled trade vs. traditional college.  I think college would burn him out quickly.  He's good with his hands and can learn technical stuff pretty easily if he maintains focus. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    The kiddo's taking courses at the career center.  I've always thought he should try for a skilled trade vs. traditional college.  I think college would burn him out quickly.  He's good with his hands and can learn technical stuff pretty easily if he maintains focus. 
    That's awesome...what do they offer and how does he like it?
  • mrsconn23 said:
    The kiddo's taking courses at the career center.  I've always thought he should try for a skilled trade vs. traditional college.  I think college would burn him out quickly.  He's good with his hands and can learn technical stuff pretty easily if he maintains focus. 
    That's awesome...what do they offer and how does he like it?
    There's huge catalog.  I forget what he's doing right now.  He started in construction, but figured out day 1 that was not for him.  I'll ask him when he gets home.  
  • I was talking about trades with my mum and M recently.
    It's an issue in Canada as well, because my parents {mid-50s} are starting to look at retirement and there's not enough up-and-comers to replace all the jobs needed.

So many people want 9-5 office jobs, and yes much of the job market is switching to that area but we'll always need trades. Machines can't be built on their own
    Skynet

I'm fortunate that majority of my friend's group are in trades - vehicles, construction, etc - and I hear that many of the high schools are starting to push for trades.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    mrsconn23 said:
    This is one of the things I miss about doing comm. college.  Our tech stuff there was awesome, and when we could get people to mix our skilled trades stuff w/ some of our practical stuff (like math--sometimes specifically math that's for non math people) it was awesome. 
    But sometimes still a hard balance
  • edited August 2017
    I have no words and so many at the same time. I'm not sure whats worse:  white people who only speak out when the racism is obvious, or a group of white people who have no qualms about being overtly and publicly racist. 

I remember before my brother was born, my grandmother was terrified that the KKK would burn crosses on our lawn. I thought she was being hyperbolic.  Today, I'm not so sure. 

• I have no words and so many at the same time. I'm not sure whats worse:  white people who only speak out when the racism is obvious, or a group of white people who have no qualms about being overtly and publicly racist. 

I remember before my brother was born, my grandmother was terrified that the KKK would burn crosses on our lawn. I thought she was being hyperbolic.  Today, I'm not so sure. 

I'm so angry and heartbroken. Why is this 2017? This makes me feel physically ill. How was this not met with absolute condemnation? "Fault on many sides." Are you fucking kidding me? 

• I am so sick and tired of all the white apologists today saying "well what about BLM and antifa?!"  I'm sorry, did you just find a way to excuse Naziism?  Why yes, yes you did.

Never have I ever thought there'd be a day when people in droves found a moral equivalence for Nazis.  It's making me fucking sick.
  • I was just reading an article that had Gallup poll's latest Trump approval rating.  More like disapproval rating.  61% disapprove of Trump (+/- 3%).  It's the highest disapproval rating for a POTUS in Gallup's history.  Also interesting, this polling started last Friday, so roughly half of it was before Trump's lackluster response to Charlottesville.

For decades, "Nixon at the height of Watergate" was the Gallup benchmark for a President's unpopularity (in comparison).  GW Bush danced with it, but never overrode.  I wonder if Trump will become the new "you know you're awful when" benchmark.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was talking about trades with my mum and M recently.
    It's an issue in Canada as well, because my parents {mid-50s} are starting to look at retirement and there's not enough up-and-comers to replace all the jobs needed.

So many people want 9-5 office jobs, and yes much of the job market is switching to that area but we'll always need trades. Machines can't be built on their own
    Skynet

I'm fortunate that majority of my friend's group are in trades - vehicles, construction, etc - and I hear that many of the high schools are starting to push for trades.
    They've started trades programs in certain high schools in our area because there's so few. They've partnered with the local college that has a campus devoted to construction and trades. The government also offers special grants to people seeking out apprenticeships.
  • I was just reading an article that had Gallup poll's latest Trump approval rating.  More like disapproval rating.  61% disapprove of Trump (+/- 3%).  It's the highest disapproval rating for a POTUS in Gallup's history.  Also interesting, this polling started last Friday, so roughly half of it was before Trump's lackluster response to Charlottesville.

For decades, "Nixon at the height of Watergate" was the Gallup benchmark for a President's unpopularity (in comparison).  GW Bush danced with it, but never overrode.  I wonder if Trump will become the new "you know you're awful when" benchmark.

I sure fucking hope so. And I hope all the Trump supporters will be like "oh, maybe we were wrong, maybe this guy is dangerous in addition to being a total a fucking moron."

I think some of them have come around but what totally boggles my mind (and kind of scares me) is the ones who haven't. Like, what are you (general) still supporting? I really want to know. So since you voted him, what exactly has he done where you're like "man am I glad I voted for Trump!" I am so, so curious.
    Reading comments on Facebook has shown me that some of these supporters will defend him no matter what. Now, Gallup polls are FAKE NEWS! I fucking can't with these people. The few Trump supporters I haven't deleted from Facebook are silent. No shocker there. 
  • Holy shit. Groups protesting the nazis were also "very violent." I fucking cannot. 

• levioosa said:
    Holy shit. Groups protesting the nazis were also "very violent." I fucking cannot. 
    I'm legit losing my shit over this. 
  • This is difficult to watch, but important.

https://news.vice.com/story/vice-news-tonight-full-episode-charlottesville-race-and-terror

Their clear intent is to incite violence with their words and rallies so any violence perpetuated by them is "justified."
  • This is difficult to watch, but important.

https://news.vice.com/story/vice-news-tonight-full-episode-charlottesville-race-and-terror

Their clear intent is to incite violence with their words and rallies so any violence perpetuated by them is "justified."
    One of my facebook friends posted this yesterday. It's long (20 min) but worth the perspective, IMO. 

I found it interesting that this super heavily armed dude went into this expecting to "kill people if (he) has to"....and then he feels victimized because he got maced. 

It is so much bullshit that the right (and I use this term on purpose because their extremism has bled into the mainstream) has been framing this as some kind of peaceful demonstration of free speech that turned violent because counter-protesters. Free speech doesn't cover incitement or hate speech - which is exactly what this rally was about. "But it was to protest taking down Confederate statutes!" No. It wasn't. But keep telling yourself that when the group is carrying Nazi flags and literally chanting "Jews will not replace us". Since when was the Civil War about Jews?

There's an interesting article about how misinformation is already being spread by the right about the events this weekend. Like BLM protesters were throwing bricks at the car that ran into Heather Heyer, so what's a driver to do? Obviously run into a crowd of people! He had no choice! All someone has to do is watch the video. There is ZERO evidence/damage to the car to support this theory. And people are gobbling that shit up like it's Gospel. It absolutely terrifies me how easily people allow themselves to be victims of misinformation. 
    *********************************************************************************

• The level of hypocritical has reached new highs.  I'm done with the "but she brought it on herself" defense of this weekend actions.  They showed up to incite violence, it worked.  BLM and Antifa was not bussed in no matter how you spin it.  Every interview, published injury and fact points to the fact that Virginia residents were the counter-protesters.

However, there is an interesting debate on the FB page for one of my old poli sci professors.  It seems SCOTUS is only clear that hate speech is not allowed on campuses, and thus far is for public rallies.  I wonder if the overwhelming evidence that it was their intent could reshape the law.

It's a slippery slope, and one that should be navigated carefully, but is also a compelling debate.