Wedding Etiquette Forum

Outdoor wedding...15 degrees

Normally just a lurker here, but saw something on Facebook that I just had to share. An article was posted about outdoor wedding tips. And of course the comments are the best part. Anyways a woman posted about how awesome her daughter's outdoor wedding was in 15 degree weather!  And she said what made it so great is the coats and boots the BMs were wearing.  And she posted a picture!

Re: Outdoor wedding...15 degrees

• I would side eye the hell out of cold weather outside wedding, but I actually like the coats and the boots. Likely more wearable than the usual matchy dresses.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That's insane.  It was around 30 degrees on my wedding day- H and I did pop outside for a few photos, because we're big cold-weather people, but our ceremony, reception, and pics with the WP were 100% indoors.  
  • eileenrob said:
    That's insane.  It was around 30 degrees on my wedding day- H and I did pop outside for a few photos, because we're big cold-weather people, but our ceremony, reception, and pics with the WP were 100% indoors.  
    My sister did the same thing. We were inside for all the pictures her and her H took a few outside with the explicit discussion that she in way wanted/expected us to do the same. 
  • I'm almost feeling more sorry for the groomsmen. Unless they've got fleece/fur lining in there that isn't visible, they're probably fairing worse than the bride and BMs.
  • When the temperature outside is lower than about 60 degrees, I'm sorry, I don't give a damn how nice photos of everyone in coats and boots look.

Stay indoors and take the photos. Exposure to cold is not worth it. Protection from the elements should be a paramount consideration, not photos.
  • So "looks" win over guests' comfort?  How rude.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Nope nope nope. The coats are cute and all, but my ears are super sensitive, and I bet money bride would not have been okay with me wearing earmuffs or a headband or knit hat.

Not even touching the experience of the groomsmen or those poor guests.
  • My nose starts running as soon as it hits 40°F, so there goes my makeup that I probably spent an hour doing, just for pictures. 

I just feel bad for anyone who has to do this for the sake of pictures. 
  • Who's willing to bet the BMs had to buy their own matching pea coats, boots and leggings?
    I don't live in a cold weather climate.  Are there special leggings that exist to keep someone warm enough in 15 degrees?  Maybe fleece lined with long johns underneath?  My guess would be "no", but I really don't know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Who's willing to bet the BMs had to buy their own matching pea coats, boots and leggings?
    I don't live in a cold weather climate.  Are there special leggings that exist to keep someone warm enough in 15 degrees?  Maybe fleece lined with long johns underneath?  My guess would be "no", but I really don't know.
    Yes there are heavier leggings but not sure how effective they would be at 15 degrees.
  • edited August 2017
    Who's willing to bet the BMs had to buy their own matching pea coats, boots and leggings?
    No.

There are leggings that are fleece lined that are marketed to be worn outside in the winter, but they don't work.  They will not keep you warm, in my experience; I have tried fleece lined breeches, which are heavier than leggings, for winter riding- I was cold, and we don't ride when it's below 27-25F.

Just to put it in perspective, your freezer is 0F. . . put on leggings, even fleece lined, and stand in your freezer for 5mins and see how warm you are ;-)

You want to be warm in sub 30F temps?  You wear a down maxi coat and boots.  As a guest that is what I would have worn to that wedding.  Those peacoats would not have cut it- I own a few and I don't wear them in actual winter.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I'm shivering just looking at this!!

We got married in February.  Living in Texas, the thought of weather like this was never a thought.  My friends from Ohio were invited and were wondering why we'd get married in February in the cold.  They then remembered our location & got excited for the chance to come to the warmth.
  • At first I thought this post was going to be asking if 15C was too cold for an outdoor wedding. Silly me!

15F? NOPE. That is freeze-your-nose-closed level cold.
  • Thanks for the comments.  I wasn't sure if I was just being a baby because leggings and cute, but not that warm looking, jackets seemed freezing for that kind of weather.  And no hats!  I think the groomsman all have their hands in their pockets because maybe they weren't "allowed" to wear gloves.

This is me if it drops below 40, except sub pacifier for thick gloves:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Reminds me of the SS from Michigan...  js...  
  • The way the bride's mom is responding makes me think that everyone involved in this wedding is very young.