Wedding Reception Forum

Special Extras for Guests

Hey guys, I'm looking for some reception ideas.  We're having the ceremony at a Catholic Church, with a reception immediately following at a hotel ballroom 3 miles away.          We're doing a 1.5 hour cocktail hour with 12 different passed hors d'oeuvres, 2 stations & a premium open bar. A 4 course seated dinner will be in a separate room with a choice of 4 entrees to be selected  table side, followed by cake, mini desserts/ice cream sandwiches/milkshake shots.  We're doing boxes of Godiva truffles as a favor, as well as a live band.

i feel like we've got the basics covered, but I want to know what kind of special touches I can add for the guests. What kind of little things have you done or seen at weddings that really make you feel welcome/comfortable as a guest?

Also, I don't have a theme (except "wedding") but my girls are wearing all black, and or color/style scheme is black, gold & Crystal with some pops of red.  Any fun types of decor you can think of using at all? 

Re: Special Extras for Guests

• Annnnd I just noticed the post a few below this basically asking the same thing!!! Great ideas there! But if anyone has any other guest comfort/welcoming ideas, I'm all for it!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
    Godiva chocolates?  Honey, you've got it covered!!!!!

Weddings don't need themes.  It's not a prom.  I do like flowers, personally.  It sounds like you have everything well planned.  Enjoy!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Not extras but ensure open bar continues, speeches are short (1-2 mins max) and only 1-2 in total, ensure there is no gap between ceremony and cocktail hour and you should be good. 
  • It sounds like you do have the basics covered, even a step above with lots of food and premium bar! I was in a wedding that went all out like that and had a great band, stocked party bus for the wedding party, and bottles of wine and candy as favors. Then they seated the wedding party at the head table, arranged like we were in front of the church (women on bride's side, men on groom's side) without our SOs/+1s and so even the one couple who were both in the wedding party couldn't sit next to each other. So don't do that. 

If you have extra money you want to throw around, you could give every guest a +1, have welcome bags (or a welcome dinner/drinks) for out of town guests, have a shuttle or Uber/Lyft codes for guests, or have emergency kits in the bathroom (Band-Aids, safety pins, Bobby pins, feminine products, mouth wash, hair spray, Advil, etc.). But it looks like you're really good as it is!
  • Holy smokes, yeah it seems like you've got everything covered! I like the idea of a welcome dinner or drinks if you have any OOT guests. We invited all of our families to the rehearsal dinner and it was really nice to spend a little more time together while they were here. Depending on what your plans are the next morning, maybe does your hotel offer the option for a brunch or something? 

Otherwise, save the money for your honeymoon and enjoy your fabulous wedding! :) 
  • Most of the time there's a big line at the bar right when cocktail hour starts/guests arrive. You could have servers with trays of drinks (a signature drink if you're having one, or glasses of wine or champagne if you're not) at the entrance to the cocktail hour. I love this, and we did it at our wedding--I always just feel so fancy when I'm handed a drink when I arrive somewhere. :-)