Chit Chat

Intro!

Hi All! I haven't seen a lot of introductions around here, but I feel a little weird jumping into posting without one! I've asked a few questions and gotten some great answers, but I was hoping to become a little less lurker-y and a little bit more active, so I hope this is ok!

I got engaged in early April, but due to a bunch of out of town wedding we have been attending this year, we haven't done a whole lot of planning yet. Wedding is 3/3/18, and I'm excited to get to the nitty-gritty of planning now that the last wedding we had for 2017 is over!

Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better!

Re: Intro!

• Welcome @MRDCle!  Happy wedding planning.  I loved wedding planning and it was even from afar.  Nothing really stressful for me!

• Welcome! We haven't had a good intro post in a while, glad you started one. Tell us more about yourself; what are you into, how did you meet your FI, do you have pets?

I'm Charlotte (not my real name), I have been married for just over two years. I met my H in grad school and since then we've moved around a ton (from NY to NC, then to OH, and just recently back to NY). We have a cat (Charlotte) and dog (Charlie), no kids. I'm a huge Buffalo Bills fan (it's going to be a looooong season). I work for a nonprofit as a research fellow on domestic violence programs and am a college professor. 

Nice to "meet" you!
  • Congrats on your engagement!  I look forward to seeing you "around", lol.

My best wedding planning advice is "don't sweat the small stuff".  There will inevitably things that aren't "perfect".  That's okay.  If at the end of the day, 1) you and your SO got married and 2) your guests were comfortable and treated well, then it will be an amazing and joyful occasion. 

As an example, I have an acquaintance who is a florist.  She was once getting the flowers ready at the venue about 90 minutes before a wedding.  The bride swung by to check on things.  She threw a full-on crying hissy fit and was screaming at her planner...because the Sharpie next to the guest book was a thick point instead of a thin point.

I'd like to think that was just the straw that broke the camel's back and that woman wasn't normally like that.  But still.  it's a Sharpie, lol.  It's an inconsequential detail.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congratulations @MRDCle . I'm Nassy. Not engaged, English and an aspiring wedding planner.

I'm working in a hotel as I want to know about all the industries that go into making a wedding before i start planning any. I dabble in photography, baking and creative writing.

My SO and i have been together nearly 3 years and don't plan on any nuptials until I have finished my degree and we have a house of our own.
     We have a fur baby ( as neither of us can actually have children :'( ) her name is Mika and she joined our little family a year ago.

Nice of you to join us and such a nice intro. 
  • Hi @MRDCle! Welcome.  It can be good to attend lots of weddings leading up to your own- have you seen anything at them that have been "we have to have this at ours!" or "omg...this is terrible let's make sure it doesn't happen!"  :):#

I'm Eileen.  My H and I will be married 5 years in February.  We live in NYC and have three young children (oldest recently turned 3).  I work part-time as a school counselor.
  • MRDCle said:
    Oh yeah, duh. I should probably include a little more about me!

I'm 29, FI is 27, and we have an amazing little 2.5 year old son, and two pups, whose ages we don't really know (both rescues, maybe 5-6 years old each?). I work in marketing and my favorite things are cheeseburgers, champagne, and watching sports.

FI and I met through his sister - we worked together and had a mutual friend, so our mutual friend invited her and I to a concert, and FSIL brought her brother. My friend said "Don't worry, you'll love him!" Ha! She was right :P

@charlotte989875 I'm a Browns fan. I hear you on the long season, though we're undefeated in the preseason
    @short+sassy a Sharpie! Good lord. I'll try to not get to that point, ha!!
    @eileenrob FI and I definitely had a "Let's not do this AT ALL," after a wedding this summer, even though the bride said to me "Aren't you glad you got all these great ideas for YOUR wedding?!" Yikes.

I didn't tell you about myself either.  You're not alone, lol.

I'm Jenny.  I'm 43 and my H is 52.  We've been together for 17 years, but took a long time to get to the altar and have been married for 4 years, lol.  I don't have any children (by choice).  But we share our home with two rambunctious fur babies.  One Manx cat (13 years old) and one Terrier Extraordinaire dog (5 years old).  Both rescues, so we don't know what breed our dog is.  Hence we dubbed her a Terrier Extraordinaire, lol.

I met my H through online dating.  Yahoo Personals...back when it was free.  That's how long it's been.  I don't even know if they are still around at all, lol.

I live in New Orleans so, Saints fan!!!  I'm sure it will be a long season for me also, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2017
    Awesome to see another Clevelander! Congratulations and welcome!

I'm Meg, I'm 42 and my fiancée is 39 (will be 40 next month). We're getting married on November 18. We met in a 12-Step fellowship. I work in local government, and my FW is an Army veteran and full-time student who is currently taking a semester off and being a full-time housewife. I'm a non-militant vegetarian who loves Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Doctor Who, trivia, bad jokes, puns, and almost any kind of music.

I have an awesome stepdaughter who will be 8 in November and lives out of state with her bio-mom, stepfather, and (as of November) baby brother. We have four fur-children: three cats (Oliver, Sam, and Mouse) and a pit bull mix (Moose, affectionately known as Mutt). 

Go Tribe, Browns, and Cavs!
  • @MRDCle, glad to see you took the plunge!  As I said in the other post, I joined these boards as a MOB and later MOG to learn how different weddings have become.  When I said I was an OMH, I meant it.....39 years this past August.

I dote on my too good to be true 3 year old granddaughter and 16 month old grandson. 

Looking forward to "seeing" more of you.
  • Welcome and congrats on your engagement!! I'm Sparklepants (not my real name lol).

I've been married for nearly 3 years (it will be 3 years at the end of October), and have a 1-month-old daughter I refer to as Babypants. I'm 37 - AHEM - 29 again - and do marketing/graphic design in the construction industry. I live in the Boston area and tend to be both cynical and silly. H was my prom date and since we dated forever before getting married we had a short engagement (6 months) and planned our wedding in 4.5 months. If we can do it in that short of a timeframe anyone can!! 

My favorite color is grey, my favorite bands are DMB, Depeche Mode, Radiohead, and alt-J, and my favorite pizza toppings are veggies, ricotta, and truffle oil. 
  • Welcome!

I'm Jenn and I've been on the site for a very long time. Lurked for several years and then started wading into the conversation.

I'm an emergency department registered nurse/nursing educator, live with my husband in Western Canada and travel as much as humanly possible. H is away almost 120 days a year and I join him about half the time. No kids, no pets, tiny apartment, mortgage paid off. We are very lucky to be in the position we are.

• Welcome.  I am the old lady (yes, really) who can help you plan a wedding that would please both you and your Great Aunt Sally.  Early March is a good time to plan for.  Where are you located?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @OurWildKingdom YES! Love to meet a fellow CLE sports booster! And trivia fan - though I haven't been a trivia regular since 2013/2014.

@sparklepants41 Hi fellow marketing professional! I've worked in construction before, but as an admin.  I feel like marketing may be tough in that industry

Hi @Mobkaz! Thanks for encouraging me to take the plunge! I feel quite welcomed already!

@short+sassy I should invent a breed name for our second rescue. First is clearly mostly lab but our boy is a little more ambiguous.
  • @ernursej I would love to head out to Western Canada sometime - I have some friends in BC and it looks absolutely GORGEOUS.

@cmgragain Cleveland! A bit risky to have a winter-ish wedding around here, but the Farmers Almanac for 2018 says warm, and that's gotta be right, right? Ha!
  • Welome to the boards!  Since this seems to be a big welcome post now, I'm WinstonsGirl, named for my hedgehog Winston (he's my photo).  He's been gone a few years now though, so maybe I should change my name to YodasGirl, since we recently got a dog named Yoda.  He has Yoda's ears, so we assumed that was why he got his name.  

I've been married over 5 years now and with DH for almost 8.  I'm a teacher who started back at work today, so I'm feeling exceptionally tired and bitchy today.  ;)  We got married in Hawaii, which is my happy place.  Let us know if you need any help with planning!

• MRDCle said:
    @ernursej I would love to head out to Western Canada sometime - I have some friends in BC and it looks absolutely GORGEOUS.

@cmgragain Cleveland! A bit risky to have a winter-ish wedding around here, but the Farmers Almanac for 2018 says warm, and that's gotta be right, right? Ha!

BC is beautiful but Alberta is where all the action is. :) I'm so very close to the mountains and Canmore/Banff is my playground. Skiing, snowshoeing, kayaking, climbing, hiking ... and amazing food/drink. I highly recommend a trip out.

H and I try and head to Canmore any weekend we are 'in town' and it is probably my happy place.

• @WinstonsGirl - I saw all the littles headed back today. Only a few months until Christmas holidays and then before you know it ... summer! Hopefully it is starting to cool down in your neck of AB. It was way too hot for school in mine!
  • ernursej said:
    @WinstonsGirl - I saw all the littles headed back today. Only a few months until Christmas holidays and then before you know it ... summer! Hopefully it is starting to cool down in your neck of AB. It was way too hot for school in mine!
    Nope.  I think it was close to 30 today.  And we start outdoor cross country tomorrow (I do learn to run with kids who want to).  My classroom was stupid hot this afternoon and my FM system wasn't working, so I was talking too loud all day, going over emergency procedures and year expectations.  I had such a headache and sore throat at the end of the day.  180 more days till summer!!  :P

• Lala9414Lala9414 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2017
    Hey! I've been lurking for awhile and posted on and off here and there. My name is Alyssa, I'm currently going to school for phlebotomy and later on will go for surgical tech. I'm pretty young I'm 22 (turning 23 on the 14th!). My FI is turning 24 in feb. We've been together for 7 years as of last month and we are planning a 2019 wedding to give us time to pay off debt and save more money, seeing as we both have huge immediate families. I have a fur baby named Marley and shes 9 months old! She's a chihuahua and jack russell terrier mix, but everyone agrees she has more terrier traits!  

ETA: fixed jack russell because auto correct is dumb
  • @lala9414 ooh I really wanted a Chiweenie once (Chihuahua/Dachshund mix) but she got pregnant and it fell through. I bet Marley is adorable.

@kimmiinthemitten yeah those Tigers aren't doing so hot this year, huh. But hey! You have the highest paid NFL player of all time! So you have that going for you! Ha!
  • @MRDCle I almost got a chiweenie once too! cutest little pups ever! marley is adorable and if TK let me upload pic off mobile i'd show you!
  • Lala9414 said:
    @MRDCle I almost got a chiweenie once too! cutest little pups ever! marley is adorable and if TK let me upload pic off mobile i'd show you!

I'm having such deja vu, lol.  I'd never heard of a chiweenie, until I was watching a Judge Judy episode earlier this week.  A chiweennie had bit a neighbor.  Judge Judy had to ask what it was.

And now hear I am hearing of this type of dog again, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm Beachmusic and along with CMGrain and MobKaz am one of the OMH -34 years this past April. I joined when I was MOB. Now I'm MOG but it is a totally different wedding.
    I have two mini long-haired dachshunds (one is my pic). Live in Indianapolis. H and I met in college (I was an undergrad and he was a grad student). We have three adult kids and hope to have grandkids someday. We just returned from a 2 week vacation cruising the Danube. I'm going crazy catching up today but feel my wheels falling off.
    @holyguacamole79 thanks for the update on monkeysips!
    That vacation sounds awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ilovebeachmusic I had a smooth dachshund for a while but since FI had a dog when I moved in, my parents took over for her.  She'll be 14 next month and I give her all the love when I visit them. FI, DS, and I were at Oktoberfest over the weekend and I had to explain smooth vs. long-haired vs. wire-haired doxies to him (FI).  It was really hard for him to grasp for some reason.
  • Welcome! I'm Emma. My husband and I have been married almost 3 years and have a 1 year old daughter. We are 26 years old and live in North Carolina. I am not super active all the time but try to pop in every now and then.