Chit Chat

Education in disability

CMGragainCMGragain member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2017 in Chit Chat
I feel so ashamed of myself for not realizing how difficult it is for people with disabilities to cope with ordinary every day issues.

Tonight DH wanted to do to a new, cute restaurant in quaint downtown.  We drove there, looking forward to a nice meal of special tacos with unusual fillings.  Oops.  No handicapped parking.  None.  After driving around the block twice, DH dropped me off at the door to go in while he parked the car two blocks away.  When he arrived, the waitress asked for our order.  I asked for a menu.  She told me that they didn't have any printed menus and that I needed to select from the "artistically" lettered billboard hanging across the room and over the bar.  How much could a computer printed menu cost?  I can't see that far.  I felt so stupid.  I burst into tears - not like me at all.  We left.  Back to the chain restaurants at the mall.

I am ashamed that I took it for granted for so many years that everyone could walk long distances, and everyone could see 20/20.  Am I over-reacting, or do you think I have a legitimate complaint?  (The waitress was the manager.)

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Education in disability

• Legit complaint. The restaurant should have thought that out better. Can every seat see the menu board? I doubt it. Was there any disabled parking or was it all taken? Disgraceful. 

I am a special ed teacher so I may be a little more sensitive to these things but how about some common sense.

Sorry you  had such a bad night. 
  • Was there just no parking lot at all for this restaurant?  Because I thought at least one handicapped space was required for public buildings.  Plus "so many" for every number of non-handicapped spots they have.

Where I live, there are two areas that just TEEM with restaurants.  None (few) of them have their own parking lots.  It has occasionally occurred to me that people with mobility issues have no choice but to either not go or have to be dropped off.  But, to be fair, there really isn't anything those restaurants can do about it.  Land for a parking lot, largely, just isn't available.

Your feelings are your feelings and I don't blame you one bit for being as upset as you were, considering everything you have going on.  With that said, I do think crying was a stronger reaction than you probably normally would have had, if your emotions weren't so raw right now.

You definitely had a legitimate complaint!  And I hope they learned from and take a cue from you.  There is no excuse for the restaurant to not have a few menus available that they can give to customers, on request.  There are many people, of all ages, who would have trouble reading what you described.

My eyesight is perfectly fine if I'm wearing my glasses or contacts, but I absolutely despise trying to read a menu board for sit-down service.  I usually either can't read it because it is too far or someone/something is blocking my vision.  And I shouldn't have to get out of my seat to walk closer to it.  I'm not even a fan of a menu board for counter service, if it isn't clearly written.  I have better things to do than puzzle over someone's illegible cursive writing in chalk (eye roll).

I'm sorry you all had such a bad night!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you, friends.  No, there was no handicapped parking at all.  I asked the manager.
    Yes, my emotions are becoming very raw.  This new chemo is turning me into an invalid.  I am not used to being one.  This is the hardest thing I think I have ever had to deal with.  I am losing my independence.  That is something that I have always relied on.
    It is interesting that our city counsel wants to encourage new development in the "old downtown" area, but thinks that planting trees and pretty statues is better than accommodations for handicapped people.  It looks like my only visits to the new, yuppified downtown will be from the passenger seat of a car.
    I might just take a break from the Knot for awhile.  I don't like what this new chemo is doing to me, both physically and emotionally.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience CMG!

Your complaints are all very valid. I highly doubt the menu board was 100% visually accessible for every guest from every seat. And disabilities come in all forms- I am sure you are not, or will not, be the only one to have an issue there. The manager either should have provided you with a physical menu, or read you off the menu from the board. No parking sucks, though not all public places have control over that, that's more of a city issue.

It is terrible to lose your independence. I hope you are able to get through this and enjoy your days as you wish to. Take care!
  • CMGragain said:
    Thank you, friends.  No, there was no handicapped parking at all.  I asked the manager.
    Yes, my emotions are becoming very raw.  This new chemo is turning me into an invalid.  I am not used to being one.  This is the hardest thing I think I have ever had to deal with.  I am losing my independence.  That is something that I have always relied on.
    It is interesting that our city counsel wants to encourage new development in the "old downtown" area, but thinks that planting trees and pretty statues is better than accommodations for handicapped people.  It looks like my only visits to the new, yuppified downtown will be from the passenger seat of a car.
    I might just take a break from the Knot for awhile.  I don't like what this new chemo is doing to me, both physically and emotionally.
    You take care of you CMG!!!  Do what needs to be done to fight this thing!  Find someplace else that will be friendlier locations.  Until some have to face realities of what it's really like to be handicap (things like lips on a door) or maneuver strollers around, they simply won't "get it"...  For each place that is a nightmare there are others who will go out of their way to make you feel welcome...