Snarky Brides

Ugh...

Actually posted on the sign for the legion by my house:

Jane's Wedding
John's Funeral

I mean, I'm sure the couple were okay with it, hell it was probaby their idea, but have we not moved forward enough as a society that we can kill the whole 'dragging the man to the altar' routine. It's just not that funny anymore and to me it kind of disrespects the whole idea of this union between two people who love each other and equally want to commit to that idea. 

Maybe I just need a glass of wine.

Re: Ugh...

• I hate it too. I'd like to think my husband was happy to marry me!!!
  • It's not just you. I hate this idea that marriage ruins men's lives and that they all get dragged kicking and screaming into it. I've said before that if my husband wanted to do one of those "Last Chance to Run" photos I would've told him to go ahead and run. Thankfully he had no interest!
  • Well, let's just make sure the wedding happens first so I can get all of John's assets, life insurance, retirement savings and everything else, if he's that unhappy to marry me. See ya, John!
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm not a fan of that, but certain things are funny. Like the wedding topper where bride is dragging groom? That's funny. Is it everyone's type of humour? Not at all.
  • You're not alone!  Not only is it in poor taste, but it's sexist.  So that also makes it offensive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nope nope nope not funny in the slightest. We got married on April Fool's day because a. the date worked and b. we both thought it was a little humorous. H was the first one to shut down any "well this gives you an out! har dee har har" type jokes. If that's how you feel, then don't get married. Those jokes are sexist AF.
  • I'm not a fan of that, but certain things are funny. Like the wedding topper where bride is dragging groom? That's funny. Is it everyone's type of humour? Not at all.
    I totally disagree. I don't find any of that stuff funny. The idea that the bride had to drag the groom to the wedding/beg him to marry her? It's such bullshit. It just keeps playing into this sexist stereotype that married men are miserable and wives are nags. 
    Truth. I don't think any jokes that play up the "men's lives are over if they get married" and "all women want to do is get married" stereotypes are funny at all.

What's funny is I came into this thread to post just how unfunny those wedding toppers are and how they drive me up a wall. Before my husband and I settled on a city hall wedding I was looking into little details and when trying to find a cute video game related cake topper I only found ones with the man playing a game with an angry looking bride tapping her feet with arms crossed or dragging him away. It's a terrible stereotype and perpetuating it does all harm and no good. It's sexist bullshit, plain and simple.
    Honestly, it definitely depends on the humour.
    Even though my husband and I thought they were funny, we didn't do it because we were aware not everyone does.

Despite the stereotype, it still happens. There's always one person in the relationship that wants to get married and ends up doing all/most of the planning.
    Same place that had a bride dragging the groom cake topper, also had groom dragging bride as a cake topper.
    I totally disagree. I don't find any of that stuff funny. The idea that the bride had to drag the groom to the wedding/beg him to marry her? It's such bullshit. It just keeps playing into this sexist stereotype that married men are miserable and wives are nags. 
    Truth. I don't think any jokes that play up the "men's lives are over if they get married" and "all women want to do is get married" stereotypes are funny at all.

What's funny is I came into this thread to post just how unfunny those wedding toppers are and how they drive me up a wall. Before my husband and I settled on a city hall wedding I was looking into little details and when trying to find a cute video game related cake topper I only found ones with the man playing a game with an angry looking bride tapping her feet with arms crossed or dragging him away. It's a terrible stereotype and perpetuating it does all harm and no good. It's sexist bullshit, plain and simple.
    Even though my husband and I thought they were funny, we didn't do it because we were aware not everyone does.

Despite the stereotype, it still happens. There's always one person in the relationship that wants to get married and ends up doing all/most of the planning.
    Same place that had a bride dragging the groom cake topper, also had groom dragging bride as a cake topper.
    I'm actually really surprised by that! I've never seen the joke go the other way. I don't even know if people would know how to take that.

My FI did point out the possibility that there are actually two events at the legion this weekend, but somehow I doubt it haha.

I'm actually really surprised by that! I've never seen the joke go the other way. I don't even know if people would know how to take that.

My FI did point out the possibility that there are actually two events at the legion this weekend, but somehow I doubt it haha.
    It's not common and I've only seen one place :)

2 events same weekend .... irony in signage at least ;)

• Despite the stereotype, it still happens. There's always one person in the relationship that wants to get married and ends up doing all/most of the planning.
    Except, no there isn't. There wasn't just one person in my marriage who actually wanted to get married, we both did. I didn't drag/cajole/coerce/issue an ultimatum/strongly hint/pressure him into marrying me, nor did he do those things to me. C'mon. Maybe this is true for many people now, or in the past, but I (pretty strongly) disagree with the idea that there's always one person who wants to be married and someone else whose just along for the ride. This simply isn't universally true. 
    I ditto this. When H and I were dating, I actually had quite a bit longer timeline for dating, marriage, kids than he did! He certainly didn't drag me into our marriage (I came around on my own), but we definitely got engaged and married sooner than my original timeline. We did wait to have kids longer than either of our original timelines!

• Despite the stereotype, it still happens. There's always one person in the relationship that wants to get married and ends up doing all/most of the planning.
    Except, no there isn't. There wasn't just one person in my marriage who actually wanted to get married, we both did. I didn't drag/cajole/coerce/issue an ultimatum/strongly hint/pressure him into marrying me, nor did he do those things to me. C'mon. Maybe this is true for many people now, or in the past, but I (pretty strongly) disagree with the idea that there's always one person who wants to be married and someone else whose just along for the ride. This simply isn't universally true. 
    I mean it in the sense that typically one person wants to get married more than the other.
    Both may want to get married and have a marriage, but one typically (which I don't mean as universally true, for reference) wants a wedding.

I mean it in the sense that typically one person wants to get married more than the other.
    Both may want to get married and have a marriage, but one typically (which I don't mean as universally true, for reference) wants a wedding.
    No, that's not the case at all. Where are you getting this idea??
    People I know. Varying ages.

The people that I know like this are usually divorced within 5 years of marriage because they weren't on the same relationship page. This is not a good example to hold up.

H and I are this couple. I really wanted to get married and he could take it or leave it. He is happy that we got married and I didn't feel like I was dragging him to the alter, but there was certainly one person who wanted it more. I sure hope we aren't on the 5 year divorce pathway. I would say that with most of my friends, I can see one half wanting to get married more than the other.

The people that I know like this are usually divorced within 5 years of marriage because they weren't on the same relationship page. This is not a good example to hold up.
    This. Relationships where one person has to convince or talk the other one into marriage because they want it more are not #relationshipgoals 

• I mean it in the sense that typically one person wants to get married more than the other.
    I wanted to get married, but DH brought it up first. He is the one who wanted the wedding with all the bells and whistles but I did all the planning because I had more freedom a work. I understand what you are saying but I still don't think the topper is funny. No one should be dragging anyone to the alter. If your life goals are so drastically different that you have to force someone to marry you, DTMFA. Find someone who enthusiastically wants to be with you. 
  • Not to threadjack, but did you see this article? Originally, there was this disgusting article in the Daily Mail (what else do you expect, its the Daily Mail!) about how these 3 insufferable blokes who just HAD to get vasectomies to rescue themselves from baby-hungry women. It was totally written about how women are baby-crazy and these guys need to fight off all these women who are just dying to be with them, rather than, you know, adults who are making contraception decisions for themselves! 

This blog rightfully took them down: https://www.the-pool.com/news-views/opinion/2017/36/zoe-beaty-on-daily-mail-vasectomy-men