Wedding Woes
Options

Bonus: Suck it up for mom, or not?

Dear Jane,

I’ve had a rather tough relationship with my mother the last few years. She has undiagnosed anxiety issues that she refuses to talk to a doctor about, and it negatively influenced her parenting when I was a child. I’m grown now with a family of my own and I’ve come to recognize how differently I want to parent my child, causing some resentment toward my mom.

I’ve slowly constructed boundaries and for the most part, she’s respected the space I’ve needed even if she doesn’t realize why. We have a non-substantive relationship—light, fun, and casual. I don’t share personal details or issues with her and I encourage her to have a fun, loving relationship with her granddaughter. I’ll take daytrips to her house or invite her to spend a night at our home every couple of months, which she seems in enjoy, but makes comments like, “Where’s your coffee? Oh, I didn’t know it was there, I haven’t been here in so long!” Or, “Is that a new light fixture? No? Well, how would I know, I’m rarely invited to your home.”

The issue at hand: Mom has invited my family and my brother’s family to join her at the beach for a week next summer. It’s a condo, and she’s convinced that all 8 of us can happily fit in this small space. For a week. With my family. My brother and I get along fine, but we also have a superficial relationship. Mom has shared with me that she has grand plans for this trip and she’s excited to have her whole family with her for a week. I suspect that she’s trying to relive some of our childhood vacation memories from the ’80s and ’90s. Memories I’d rather not relive. This will be mom’s vacation, and I won’t relax at all. I’ll be on guard, hackles up, ready for her onslaught of passive aggressive comments and anxiety-fueled criticisms.

So, what to do. Suck it up and join this trip—do it for my daughter so she can hang with her granny? Maybe booking a separate vacation for my husband and kid for a later date? Or bow out, keeping my boundaries intact, but upsetting my mom.

Signed – Bitching at the Beach

Re: Bonus: Suck it up for mom, or not?

• Options

I have to admit, I would probably suck it up to make my mom happy.  But only on the parameters that either a larger condo was rented (I'd pay the difference) or my family and I would make our own accommodations.  Maybe I would just want to make my own accommodations anyway.

With that said, only the LW and her family can make this decision.  She doesn't owe her mother a family vacation and "no" is not a bad word.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm inclined to say suck it up and go.  But I wish LW had given some examples of how her childhood was "negatively influenced".  If she can't stand up to her mom in the moment to say "Mom, this is how I'm parenting my child.  Please do not butt in", then LW should not go.

But, how big is this condo?  Will she and her H have their own room?  Is the beach town close to where LW lives, where if things get very bad, they could leave early? 

If LW will have her own room where she can have a refuge, then I think she should go.  She and her H could plan a day or two where they do something on their own.  Or perhaps they can send daughter with mom?  Or only commit to a few days of the vacation, so its not a full week.

• Options
    I would either go and stay in the condo or look for a place near the condo.  
  • Options
    I would suck it up and go, but I would have some obligation that prevented me from staying the whole week. I would probably stay 3 days (you know what they say about fish and company and all) and bugger out. Enough to say I made the trip but not so much that I hate my life.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My mil wants to do this. I'm willing to suck it up only if I have room to retreat.
  • Options
    This sounds exactly like my relationship with my mother. 

I would go - and stay in a hotel. Bacon could stay in the condo, sure, but I wouldn't be able to. And this is how it goes when we visit PHX now, too. My brothers think I'm weird, but whatever. I don't blow up, everyone stays happy(ish) and no one gets called on their bullshit. 

And then I go 900 miles back home and don't have to do it for another 10 years. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't suck it up.  I'm too old for this "hang around people that make you feel like shit" thing and family no longer gets passes.

And what just came into my head was, "I reclaim my time."  I don't think LW has to share her time (her money, her vacation time, her mental state, her family, etc), with anyone that makes her on edge.  Say no and deal with the consequences however she sees fit.
  • Options
    If I chose to go, it would be on my terms - and we'd be staying in our own place. 
  • Options
    It would depend on how big the condo is, but the word condo isn't big enough for me to stay with 8 members of my family for a week. Rental house, sure. Condo, no. I didn't even have a bad childhood but my family drives me crazy. I would go but have my own place nearby.
  • Options
    It would depend on how big the condo is, but the word condo isn't big enough for me to stay with 8 members of my family for a week. Rental house, sure. Condo, no. I didn't even have a bad childhood but my family drives me crazy. I would go but have my own place nearby.
    I'm right there with you. FW finds my family a bit overwhelming at times (she's an only child with almost no relationship with her extended family), so we would absolutely need our own space.
  • Options
    I might go but I would not stay with the family if I did.