Wedding Party

Party Bus/Limo no alcohol

So I have ask a few different groups (family. friends. volunteer group) and got mixed reactions so throwing it out here. 

I'm having a limo or "party bus" between ceremony and reception to go out and take pictures with the wedding party. 

I asked my MOH (who knows the crew obviously) would there be riot if I didn't have alcohol on the party bus?
She pretty much said yes a majority of the party would hate you. (including my new husband) 

I asked my volunteer group host (middle aged couple) and they didn't see an issue with not having alcohol on the bus.
They also suggested not calling it a "party bus" but a limo and that might lower people's expectations of booze. 

My plan is to have beer/wine/champagne ONLY on the limo/bus that we provide (so I can control the amount) but how do I keep the wedding party from sneaking on hard liquor 

My main concern is them pressuring my fiance to drink more than he should before the wedding starts. 

We have an open bar at the reception and wedding party/parents can bring whatever and it will only be served to them. 
So my feelings are they can have whatever they want that night why do they need to drinking a lot on the bus? 

Thoughts? 

Re: Party Bus/Limo no alcohol

• levioosa said:
    So I have ask a few different groups (family. friends. volunteer group) and got mixed reactions so throwing it out here. 

I'm having a limo or "party bus" between ceremony and reception to go out and take pictures with the wedding party. 

I asked my MOH (who knows the crew obviously) would there be riot if I didn't have alcohol on the party bus?
    She pretty much said yes a majority of the party would hate you. (including my new husband) 

I asked my volunteer group host (middle aged couple) and they didn't see an issue with not having alcohol on the bus.
    They also suggested not calling it a "party bus" but a limo and that might lower people's expectations of booze. 

My plan is to have beer/wine/champagne ONLY on the limo/bus that we provide (so I can control the amount) but how do I keep the wedding party from sneaking on hard liquor 

My main concern is them pressuring my fiance to drink more than he should before the wedding starts. 

We have an open bar at the reception and wedding party/parents can bring whatever and it will only be served to them. 
    So my feelings are they can have whatever they want that night why do they need to drinking a lot on the bus? 

Thoughts? 

Why do you need a party bus anyways? Pictures should be an hour or less. Stop trying to police adults, including your husband. 

And what do you mean by the bolded? WP and parents do not get special treatment over the rest of your guests. You and the WP should get served whatever the rest of your guests are getting served. If they don't have the specialty liquor groomsman Tom prefers, oh well. It's really rude for Tom to bring a bottle of Belvedere though that only he gets to use. 

It's our venue's policy that the wedding party gets to bring/drink whatever. My dad asked what beer was supplied and they answered but said the wedding party/parents can bring whatever and it will only be served to them.

• levioosa said:

Thoughts? 

Why do you need a party bus anyways? Pictures should be an hour or less. Stop trying to police adults, including your husband. 

And what do you mean by the bolded? WP and parents do not get special treatment over the rest of your guests. You and the WP should get served whatever the rest of your guests are getting served. If they don't have the specialty liquor groomsman Tom prefers, oh well. It's really rude for Tom to bring a bottle of Belvedere though that only he gets to use. 

It's our venue's policy that the wedding party gets to bring/drink whatever. My dad asked what beer was supplied and they answered but said the wedding party/parents can bring whatever and it will only be served to them.

There is no reason why you need to tell anyone this. 
    Please DO NOT do this.   At the reception if you're offering it (or it's available) to any one person it should be available to all people.

I'm confused.   Will the bus be driving around while the cocktail hour is going on? 
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017

levioosa said:

Thoughts? 

There is no reason why you need to tell anyone this. 
    Yep. It's the venue's policy, but it's rude behavior, so just don't inform everyone that the venue has this option.

There are a lot of questions which come up on here which are essentially, "How do I control people's behavior?" and the answer is that you can't. You can't stop people from getting drunker than you'd like. You can ask your FI not to overindulge, and tell him that it's important to you. Just like you can't make your bridal party not drink X amount, they can't force him to drink X amount.

If you're truly worried about that happening after you've communicated to him the importance to you of staying relatively sober, then that's a maturity or respect issue with your FI, and not something to be avoided by attempting (and failing) to control the consumption of everyone else.

eta actual quote - "yep" made no sense
  • I am sorry, but I don't understand the need for this party bus at all.  You are going where to do what while your guests are waiting for your appearance to celebrate your marriage?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would not have a party bus.

It really isn't considerate of your guests to keep them waiting longer than, say, an hour while you take photos. Going off on your own on a party bus leaves them stuck waiting for you to show up to your reception, which is supposed to thank them for attending your wedding.

And if the lack of alcohol on the party bus is a concern, that's all the more reason not to do it.

Just take photos for no more than an hour and serve cocktails and appetizers to your guests while they wait for you. Then start the reception.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017
    @augustgirl21, what kind of a time gap are you talking about here between the ceremony and the reception?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Just because you CAN answer a question that wasn't asked doesn't mean you SHOULD. But clearly people do things they "shouldn't" every day.

• Just because you CAN answer a question that wasn't asked doesn't mean you SHOULD. But clearly people do things they "shouldn't" every day.

So are you having a huge gap and dragging your WP all around hells half-acre for photos or not?  That's all I really want to know. 
  • augustgirl21augustgirl21 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2017

@kwiksilverI am doing the same thing that all the other wedding I have been to and been apart of have done.

Interpret that as you will.

Are you able to elaborate on some of the questions?   What is going on for the rest of your guests while you and the WP are on the party bus? 

And are you understanding that offering anything to a portion of your guest list that isn't offered to ALL of your guests is really incredibly rude?  No one wants to be treated as a lower tier of guest. 
  • My aunt is having a catered lunch at their house/backyard for any and all guest who want to come between the ceremony and the reception. (This was originally where the reception was being held but I started worrying too much about weather issues)

And yes I'm aware that people on this forum see my WP BYOB as rude. If other guests would like to BYOB they are more than welcome to as well.  

• My aunt is having a catered lunch at their house/backyard for any and all guest who want to come between the ceremony and the reception. (This was originally where the reception was being held but I started worrying too much about weather issues)

And yes I'm aware that people on this forum see my WP BYOB as rude. If other guests would like to BYOB they are more than welcome to as well. 

But they don't get the perk of the bartender serving their BYOB alcohol? Nor do they know it's an option, because most people realize that BYOB to a hosted event is super rude to the hosts?

Just because there's something going on in the gap doesn't mean it's fun or magically not rude. It's a time waster that's only in place so you can spend a silly amount of time apart from the majority of your guests. I mean, it's nice of your aunt to host so there's something, but honestly, people would so much rather go to the reception. Including, it sounds like, your bridal party. So again, we're back to "This is just for you." And that's not a good enough reason to waste everyone's time.
  • @kwiksilverI am doing the same thing that all the other wedding I have been to and been apart of have done.

Interpret that as you will.

so you can take this opportunity to be the exception, and properly host your guests.  People will likely talk for ages about how great your wedding was since they didn't have to sit in someone's buggy backyard eating crackers while the bride and groom took photos all over town in their dry stripper-pole mobile.  They'll be thrilled that they got to go straight from ceremony to reception. . . . don't you want to start this great trend with your group of friends and family??
  • My fiancé gave me this advice...I knew I loved him :-)

• I don't understand why you want to do this. It's a pretty rude plan that many people will tolerate but not necessarily enjoy, but it's not even something you WANT to do. Like you started this post because you DON'T want people to party on your party bus. 

Just skip it. It's the path of least resistance.
  • My fiancé gave me this advice...I knew I loved him :-)

I have never had Nutella, the thought of it is gross to me. . . . a Nutella jar would not make me happy.