Wedding Woes

Tatata Tuesday

I feel like I've been MIA for so long....hope everyone is good!

Thursday I had a golf outing, Friday I snuck out of work early for a coworkers wedding (two of us volunteered to do all the set up), Saturday was set-up and the wedding, Sunday was recovery, and yesterday I had appointments all day!

It's H's birthday week so each day I'm leaving him a little treat on the island when he gets home.  His actual gift is a Tigers no-hitter autographed photo frame.  Justin Verlander is the only one not autographed, which sucks because I bought it the day before he was traded, but the two older guys are real old, so I'm confident we have more time to get JV's sig than those guys.

It's also my last week at my current job so I'm trying to play catch up like a mother!  Too much to do, too little time.

Re: Tatata Tuesday

• DH didn't get home until almost 10pm last night (they started a whole order processing change yesterday and it went just as bad as DH thought it would since they didn't plan for it effectively).  He's got today and tomorrow.  His last day is Thursday, but he's literally going in to clean out his stuff and they're bringing in lunch to say goodbye.   I also told him to walk away from the fuckery the next 2 days because it's not his circus or monkeys any longer.   

He was in a good mood despite the long-ass day.  We had celebratory BCBC.   

It's rainy and shitty.  Other than that, SSDD. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    DH didn't get home until almost 10pm last night (they started a whole order processing change yesterday and it went just as bad as DH thought it would since they didn't plan for it effectively).  He's got today and tomorrow.  His last day is Thursday, but he's literally going in to clean out his stuff and they're bringing in lunch to say goodbye.   I also told him to walk away from the fuckery the next 2 days because it's not his circus or monkeys any longer.   

He was in a good mood despite the long-ass day.  We had celebratory BCBC.   

It's rainy and shitty.  Other than that, SSDD. 
    Yay!  Hope he's able to stay out of the much for the next few days!
  • Kimmi - You sound like a super busy lady!  Also what an awesome way to celebrate your H's birthday week. 

Things have been pretty crazy around here.

H was in a work accident on the 7th which resulted in shattering a section of his left ulna (outside forearm) bone. They sent him to the closest city (an hour away) by ambulance, where he had 3 hours of emergency surgery. They put in a plate and 6 screws to hold the bone together, and 18 staples to close it up. There was also a significant wound, and because of where he works (slaughterhouse) the worry of infection was considerable.

He was in the hospital 3 days. The night we got home I got a call from our landlord that the house we are renting had sold. We kind of anticipated it, but still, worst timing ever.  So now we are moving in early October. We found a new acreage relatively quickly (and it's definitely not for sale) so I even get to keep my chickens.  We are fortunate to have quite a few volunteers to help with moving, so that takes a bit of stress off. 

I have my first appointment midwife appointment tomorrow (8 weeks along as of yesterday). I've been feeling super nauseated for weeks, so I hope that's a good sign. We have our first ultrasound next Tuesday and I am just praying it looks like everything is fine.

I'm also struggling to prepare for two major events for my small business (one this coming weekend and one next Wednesday) which has been nuts!  I haven't told my business partner we are expecting, because she has been struggling with infertility for 5 years and last time she stopped speaking to me right up until I had the miscarriage.

Sooooooo yeah. I just need the strength to make it through the next 4ish weeks :confounded:
  • SSDD. Working from home due to continued flooding/road closures. I have a fair amount of meetings today and tomorrow, so good times. DK has one of his employees in town from London, so he'll be doing hosting duties a few nights this week (happy hour, team dinner, etc.) - he'll also be gone much of the weekend for SCUBA training. In between work and kid stuff, i'll be trying to get the house cleaned up before my parents get here (30th.) 

I've been de-hoarding/de-cluttering over the past few months, so will be continuing with these efforts. I'm also trying to gather up supplies for our trip to Australia and book some of our tours/pull together a better itinerary.
  • Holy shit @kwiksilver, that's a lot.   Your poor H.  How's he doing now?  

I hope the move goes well and things can calm down soon.   
  • oh man @kwiksilver that's a lot going on in a short amount of time. How is H feeling? 
  • Jam packed weekend and I've already told M that this weekend is going to involve lots of downtime.

Friday - we were suppose to have date night, but I felt really nauseated so we just picked up dinner and watched a movie. Moana, because I'm a child and M likes Hei Hei lol (the chicken)

Saturday - woke up with a headache. Fed cats, drank water and took a Tylenol and lay down for another hour. Definitely helped.
    Left about 12:30 for my mum's place. Did some last min things then headed to the wedding.
    It was on the groom's family farm, and was really good. Downside was that unfortunately we had to sit in the direct sunlight. Did not help my headache.

Couple good things came from it. M has been invited to hunt on the land during hunting season. The groom invited him to come during season, so M is gonna take a couple days off and go during the day to help on the farm.

Also M may have found a new couple buddies to go hunting with :) Which is always good.

Came home super late.

Sunday - intended on just hanging out and doing cleaning, but a friend of mine needed help so we went out to help out. I got to see her also, so definitely a win ;)

I was home yesterday because I woke up feeling like my head was in a vice-grip. I basically napped all day.
    Still headache but not as bad. However I do have a weird zen feeling inside. It's odd. I don't normally feel this calm .... ah well.
  • Thanks guys!  He's feeling ok. They have him on good pain control. We are going to see the surgeon again tomorrow. At this point they are concerned the shatter won't heal properly (15 pieces of bone in there, AFTER they cleared it out) so he may need bone grafts in the future. 

Theres also a big Occupational Health & Safety investigation happening because I filed a report on his behalf the next day. His work has a notoriously bad safety record and the accident was 100% preventable. I want to make sure it doesn't get swept under the rug!
  • @kimmiinthemitten that sounds very sweet what you're doing for your H :) happy bday week to him!

@mrsconn23 no more monkeys!!! :D Your H must be stoked

@kwiksilver jeez!! How is he feeling now? Is this a long recovery?

@*Barbie* how is your area doing? Was there much damage? {Other than flooding by you}
    I feel you on the decluttering. I've been trying to be/get into the minimalism idea
  • Your poor H @kwiksilver.  I can't remember if I knew about the babes, but congrats.  Sorry to hear about how your business partner reacted last time.  I get it must be hard, but come on, that reaction seems really immature and unnecessary.
  • @kimmiinthemitten, good job on the gifts! 
    @mrsconn23, no - why is he even putting in his hours?  If you retire around here (because if you quit, you're gone asap) it's pretty much common knowledge that you work half days and not at all during those half day hours! 
    @Kwiksilver, ouch ouch ouch. SO sorry about your husbands injury!

• Kwiksilver - OMG to your H accident!  I'm glad to hear he isn't in much pain at least!  And good for you to file the OSHA report!  If he is apart of a union, I would reach out to them and let them know.  It may also be worth while to have a free consultation with an attorney and see what they say.  Just in case the employer tries to skip paying the medical bills and for any long term issues your H may have.  And candied ginger was a life saver for me with early nausea.  You just suck on it and not chew it.  The flavor is a very strong ginger ale, I've heard not everyone likes or tolerates it.

MrsConn - I'm sure DH is counting down the days until he is done at this job!  He should take an inventory of his hours to make sure he gets paid his last paycheck appropriately.

Last night I got home and made dinner.  It consisted of some parmesan crusted chicken from Target and a side.  The chicken was weird and I couldn't put my finger on why.  Even H said the chicken was a dud, so we will skip that from now on!

After dinner we dropped the car off at the mechanics for a once over today prior to our trip to Williamsburg at the end of Oct.  We then popped over to my parents really quick.  We got back to our house and DD was sleeping, so H and I left her in the car while we started to sweep up the excess grass clippings from the sidewalk and driveway.  It looks half decent now!

Tonight I need to process my tomato sauce through the grinder and start getting it spiced up further.  It will still cook on the stove until Thursday when I will can it all.  My mom got 26 quarts out of her pot of sauce, so I hope for something similar.

• I hope OSHA investigates properly because his recovery is going to be long and he may not fully heal from this.  Document, document, document everything because you may need it one day if his job tries to evade responsibility.  I would not hesitate to research lawyers that specialize in employer safety violations and injuries sustained on the job. 
  • Oh @kwiksilver ((hugs)). I hope your H has a quick and easy recovery. Glad you found a place already though. Congrats on your pregnancy.
    @kimmiinthemitten this is my H's birthday week too. I booked a deep sea fishing trip for Saturday but then cancelled it since half the people we know are out of town and the other half couldn't come on short notice ( I booked it yesterday). It was more money than he wanted to spend anyway since he had already bought himself a guitar as my present to him. 

• MrsConn - I'm sure DH is counting down the days until he is done at this job!  He should take an inventory of his hours to make sure he gets paid his last paycheck appropriately.

He's salary, but I'm hoping they pay him for Friday since he essentially put in 2 days worth of hours yesterday.  Friday is the last day of the current pay period, so we won't know until we get his statement next Tuesday.

Annoyingly, they don't accrue vacation...you're 'awarded' it when you use it.  So he won't get a payout for vacation time he didn't take. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I hope OSHA investigates properly because his recovery is going to be long and he may not fully heal from this.  Document, document, document everything because you may need it one day if his job tries to evade responsibility.  I would not hesitate to research lawyers that specialize in employer safety violations and injuries sustained on the job. 
    Agreed. His surgeon basically said this could be a life-changing injury. As it is he is not being advised to go back to work until after Christmas (although WCB is already pushing for "modified duties"). And we are considering a lawyer, but we have to do some more research because sometimes WCB will step out of being involved if we go that route. Then H wouldn't get paid during this time he can't work and we would have to drain the last of our savings to live while it's tied up in legal process.  So we need to get some clarification, but I have been keeping track of everything (and taking loads of photos) and his surgeon is amazing and totally on his side.  I just hope we don't have to go to any extremes, although I am totally willing to if required. 
  • Sending you guys good vibes @kwiksilver

Aurora is still pretty sick. She's barely eating or drinking water. I'm so sad for her. I'm at a class today for work but I just want to be home. I told SO that if he comes home for lunch and she's not any better he should call the vet. I was so worried I forgot my ID badge, so I hope that doesn't cause any problems. I also feel guilty, like I should have noticed she was feeling poorly before she got this sick. All we noticed was that she was sleepy the day before. 

I told my parents we could do dinner tonight but it depends on how Aurora is doing. Tomorrow I have school and it looks like I might have missed an assignment that's due tomorrow. But at least I know the real time now so I'm not showing up extra early like last week. 

• mrsconn23 said:
    I hope OSHA investigates properly because his recovery is going to be long and he may not fully heal from this.  Document, document, document everything because you may need it one day if his job tries to evade responsibility.  I would not hesitate to research lawyers that specialize in employer safety violations and injuries sustained on the job. 
    Agreed. His surgeon basically said this could be a life-changing injury. As it is he is not being advised to go back to work until after Christmas (although WCB is already pushing for "modified duties"). And we are considering a lawyer, but we have to do some more research because sometimes WCB will step out of being involved if we go that route. Then H wouldn't get paid during this time he can't work and we would have to drain the last of our savings to live while it's tied up in legal process.  So we need to get some clarification, but I have been keeping track of everything (and taking loads of photos) and his surgeon is amazing and totally on his side.  I just hope we don't have to go to any extremes, although I am totally willing to if required. 
    I totally understand and how terrible that you guys are the ones who could be fucked over.  At this point, time is on your side(ish) since there should be an investigation and he would have to wait on the Dr to release him to light duty (I'd be doing everything I could to have the doc put a hold on any release).  I don't think I'd involve a lawyer unless they start pressuring you to sign stuff.  You should be able to get a free consult.   But ugh...It sucks that it's on you guys to make sure everything is done just so or else a misstep could make things harder (or impossible).    :-/
  • Tuesday's are the best days.  $5 movies at amc and $5 fro yo cup fills at my new fave place, Menchies.

Tuesday's are the new Saturdays :)

Has anyone ever used esalon?  I really like them! it's $19.99 for the salon grade dye and 5.00 shipping (or free shipping over $30.00).  You can adjust shipping dates and you have your own color stylist. I was getting plain old "darkest brown" for the longest time but I just submitted a dark dark brown almost black with red hues this go around.  You can submit pictures of what you want too which is fun!  I recommend them.  Haven'd had any issues yet.

• Holy cow @kwiksilver. That's so much to worry about. I'm sorry. 

Nothhing much here today. Work,laundry, new tire, soccer practices, card club 
  • @short+sassy  yeh hard not to read into it, but figured I'll just ride the Zen train :)
    Vibes on your tenants!

@kwiksilver yikes :( just saw update on your H's arm. Hopefully they handle the situation and not 'sweep under the rug'
  • Wow @kwiksilver all the good thoughts for your H. 

Not much here; working, working, more working. There's some low morale happening which sucks, and I think things will get worse before they get better so people are a little on edge. 

I went out to lunch with my favorite office people and ate way too much. 
  • I'm avoiding real work and online browsing.  I could use a nap, too.  (yawn)

Barbie, sorry to hear you're still experiencing flood issues.  :(
  • I'm avoiding real work and online browsing.  I could use a nap, too.  (yawn)

Barbie, sorry to hear you're still experiencing flood issues.  :(
    Thanks nico! how did you guys fare with Irma?
  • Just a quick check-in - today was a blur.

@kwiksilver sending good healing vibes for your H!! I'm glad you reported it to OSHA and like @mrsconn23 recommended, document EVERYTHING!!!
  • Sending healing vibes for your H, @kwiksilver, and for Aurora, @levioosa!

FW got back today from her 6-day road trip with her BFF and another friend of theirs to Gettysburg, Antietam, and Washington, D.C. Housemate 1 is taking care of a friend of ours who just had knee surgery, and Housemate 2 is rarely around and is pretty antisocial when she is, so I was more or less alone with the animals for a couple days. I missed FW, but the peace and quiet was actually kind of nice. I did some cleaning and organizing this past weekend, in between helping our friend who had surgery and working with my new sponsee.

Work has been interesting. It’s either really busy or really slow, sometimes in the same day. We’re interviewing new attorneys (again) so there will be a lot of activity this week.

I’ve spent most of the evening trying to copy playlists for the wedding from my phone to my laptop. ITunes decided to update right in the middle of that process, and so did my phone. I might just use my phone and set it to Do Not Disturb.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2017
    @MissKittyDanger - we were lucky in terms of flooding. our neighborhood was fine. the issue that I have is that the Northwest and West sides of town have some large reservoir areas that flooded, so a lot of the North/South routes on my side of town were shut down. Unfortunately, my typical commute (nearly straight south) would take me dead center through this flooded area. As roads start to re-open, it will improve overall time, but the biggest difference will be the main road that i take to the office now, or my typical secondary route. I believe they are trying to re-open both roads this week or next. 

I have a lot of projects in Eastern time zone (we're central), so with childcare constraints, i typically can't make it in to the office for meetings prior to 8am. My bosses have always been very understanding of this, and don't mind at all. If I have several morning meetings, I may call in from home, and get into the office around 9:30-10am. This would be NBD if the normal commute route or my secondary route was open. Off hours/light traffic, it's usually 30 minutes or less. With the significant detours to miss flooded areas, and increased traffic on those roads, commute would have been taking me 2-3 hours at peak flood - and probably 1.5-2 hours with current conditions. At that point, I'd be getting in so late, and leaving to early, it wouldn't be worth it. 

ETA: none of the projects that i'm managing are in TX, so working remotely is a daily thing for me, regardless of where i'm physically located.