Wedding Etiquette Forum

Marriage Certs

Ok, so this isn't etiquette related but I couldn't decide where else to put it.  How many marriage certificates did you order certified copies of?  I know some things to change my name will need that but I don't know if they'll keep it or how many copies I should buy.  Any tips?

Re: Marriage Certs

• We got two. I only changed my name on my SS card and passport since I knew I was leaving the country. DH needed one for his work. I can't remember if they held the certificate for my SS card but that arrived within 3 days. I had to mail everything off to get my passport changed and once I had that, I changed my name on my bank account. They were more concerned that I didn't have a utility, and wasn't going to get one, in my new name. It took a little extra convincing but they eventually accepted the SS card, passport, and marriage certificate. All of that was done "easily" with one copy (since DH was using the other one for his work stuffs) but it probably wouldn't hurt to get another just in case. 

Since we were in a time crunch because of the move, we took our signed marriage license to the courthouse the following business day after the wedding. They printed them all out that day for like 2$ each or something reasonable like that. Besides a long line, it was incredibly easy and worked much better than having to wait for it in the mail.
  • Thank you!  How soon after did you leave the country?  We are going on our honeymoon to the DR about two months after we get married.  I was going to wait until we got back to change my name because I was worried I would have problems leaving/getting back into the country if my documentation did not all match.  It sounds like you may have some advice on this!
  • Thank you!  How soon after did you leave the country?  We are going on our honeymoon to the DR about two months after we get married.  I was going to wait until we got back to change my name because I was worried I would have problems leaving/getting back into the country if my documentation did not all match.  It sounds like you may have some advice on this!
    If you have any tickets purchased in your maiden name either keep passport in maiden name or be prepared to call the airline/cruise/hotel and change immediately after changing passport. Everything needs to match. 
  • They all said I could change if we needed to.  I just assumed there wouldn't be time?  If there is I would prefer to change it sooner rather than later so it's done and I can enjoy my holiday!  But that is a really good point.  
  • They all said I could change if we needed to.  I just assumed there wouldn't be time?  If there is I would prefer to change it sooner rather than later so it's done and I can enjoy my holiday!  But that is a really good point.  
    I'm not sure where you are located but I was able to get a new drivers license in 5 days but I had to wait almost a week after my wedding for documents to be filed. Passports can be rushed so you might be okay. I would be a bit concerned about the timeline. 
  • ernursej said:
    They all said I could change if we needed to.  I just assumed there wouldn't be time?  If there is I would prefer to change it sooner rather than later so it's done and I can enjoy my holiday!  But that is a really good point.  
    I'm not sure where you are located but I was able to get a new drivers license in 5 days but I had to wait almost a week after my wedding for documents to be filed. Passports can be rushed so you might be okay. I would be a bit concerned about the timeline. 
    Thank you!  That is really really helpful.  I will see about the cert first and then make my mind from there.
  • One. The only place I had to give it for any length of time was when I changed my name on my passport, and I had to send it in. I live in Alaska and neither the DMV nor the SSA needed it beyond looking at it. I kept a photocopy of it. My bank only needed to see a copy of it.
  • edited September 2017
    Thank you!  How soon after did you leave the country?  We are going on our honeymoon to the DR about two months after we get married.  I was going to wait until we got back to change my name because I was worried I would have problems leaving/getting back into the country if my documentation did not all match.  It sounds like you may have some advice on this!
    I left about 2 months after but I had all of my paperwork within 2 weeks. The SS card took no time and we had my passport expedited, that took about 5 days. My friend here, her husband applied for her visa in her maiden name (doh!!) so they (the passport authority) just stapled her old passport (with her visa in it) to her new passport and apparently that is legit for traveling all over the world so I would worry too much, lol.

eta: clarity 
  • I'm in CAN. We waited several weeks (6-12, I think- it was awhile!) to receive our marriage certificate in the mail. Then I ordered a few copies. I think I ordered 5, but I did not need that many copies. Some places wanted an original, others just photocopied the certificate then gave the original back. I think 2-3 copies would suffice.

If you are traveling, definitely make sure all of your documentation matches, and this is regardless if you are going to another country or not, airlines are quite particularly that your ID matches.

I waited for the certificate, changed my drivers license first (can anywhere from 2-4 weeks to receive a new one in the mail), then my SS, then my passport.
  • H and I honeymooned two months after our wedding too...I waited until after we returned to change my name.
     I only ordered one certified copy of the marriage certificate.  I had to send it in for my passport, but it was returned.  Drivers license, SS card, bank accts, our employers, health insurance, my professional certification- a copy of the marriage certificate was fine.
  • We only ordered 1, and haven't needed it yet.  We also got married in Hawaii, so it took almost 4 months to get it, if I remember correctly (we live in Canada).  I also didn't change my name either, but for medical coverage and such, I just had to phone to say we were married.  They didn't ask for proof