Wedding Etiquette Forum

Waiting on Thank You notes

Ugh, I sent my niece a message asking if they had received my wedding gift that was sent in April from an on line order. I save my email notifications for online purchases until I know they have arrived. I just received a message back saying she just hadn't had time to send out thank you notes and that they would probably be sent in Christmas cards! Seriously people, thank you notes need to go out ASAP! There were maybe 50-75 people at the wedding based on pictures I saw. That wouldn't take more than a few days to write thank you notes assuming everyone gave a gift.

Re: Waiting on Thank You notes

• UGH. We had a 130-person wedding in late April and all of our thank you cards were done and out by the end of May. And if you're going to make the (rude) choice to wait, at least have the courtesy to text people and let them know their gifts made it there safely.
  • How rude! We also had about 130ish people in early April and our thank you's were out within about two weeks of the wedding.

We went to a wedding about a month & a half ago, but I just gave the bride her gift two weeks ago (because I kept forgetting). She kept telling me she had already written the thank you, because I guess Amazon notifies you when something is bought off your registry. I keep jokingly saying nope I haven't gotten a card yet, so that's probably never coming.
  • Ugh. Sooo rude.  And lazy.  She's probably going to kill two birds with one stone with the Christmas cards.  I'm fine with the "Married Christmas"-thank you-hybrid...if the wedding is in November.
  • How rude! We also had about 130ish people in early April and our thank you's were out within about two weeks of the wedding.

We went to a wedding about a month & a half ago, but I just gave the bride her gift two weeks ago (because I kept forgetting). She kept telling me she had already written the thank you, because I guess Amazon notifies you when something is bought off your registry. I keep jokingly saying nope I haven't gotten a card yet, so that's probably never coming.
    Wait, what? Was she mentioning your gift before she got it? Or does she think Amazon does the thank you note writing for her?

For the first thing, that's such a pet peeve of mine. Even if you know what I got you (general) as a gift, talking about it as though it's already yours is so obnoxious. 

Wait, what? Was she mentioning your gift before she got it? Or does she think Amazon does the thank you note writing for her?

For the first thing, that's such a pet peeve of mine. Even if you know what I got you (general) as a gift, talking about it as though it's already yours is so obnoxious. 

Yeah, she was talking about it before she got it. The wedding was a hot mess, so I kind of wanted to take some stuff out BUT since Amazon told her what it was I felt stuck. Two other friends sent their gift ahead of time, so I'll have to ask them if they got thank yous. I don't think I'd like to know who was getting us what from the registry, that kind of takes the fun out of gifts.

Yeah, she was talking about it before she got it. The wedding was a hot mess, so I kind of wanted to take some stuff out BUT since Amazon told her what it was I felt stuck. Two other friends sent their gift ahead of time, so I'll have to ask them if they got thank yous. I don't think I'd like to know who was getting us what from the registry, that kind of takes the fun out of gifts.

Your post is the first time it occurred to me that I could have checked my registries to see what people had gotten for us, lol.  I just set the registries up and never looked at them again.  Since my wedding was OOT for me, I assumed most people would give me cash anyway, if they were giving a gift.  A few guests did shop on one of my registries and had the gifts sent to my house.  They were fun surprises to see what people had chosen!

Though we did receive only a few boxed gifts, I got the two items I wanted the most!  An ice-cream maker from Williams Sonoma and a king-sized down comforter from Target.

Soft, comfy warmth and homemade vanilla ice cream.  I don't think life gets much better than that, lol.

How's the ice cream maker? I've toyed with getting one over the years but haven't yet.  Is it super time consuming/a mess to clean up? (And if so, is the taste of the ice cream so much better than store-bought that it makes it worth it? :D  )

Your post is the first time it occurred to me that I could have checked my registries to see what people had gotten for us, lol.  I just set the registries up and never looked at them again.  Since my wedding was OOT for me, I assumed most people would give me cash anyway, if they were giving a gift.  A few guests did shop on one of my registries and had the gifts sent to my house.  They were fun surprises to see what people had chosen!

Though we did receive only a few boxed gifts, I got the two items I wanted the most!  An ice-cream maker from Williams Sonoma and a king-sized down comforter from Target.

Soft, comfy warmth and homemade vanilla ice cream.  I don't think life gets much better than that, lol.

You can eat homemade ice cream in bed!! What’s better than that?
  • redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017
    How rude! We also had about 130ish people in early April and our thank you's were out within about two weeks of the wedding.

My sister purposely didn't want to know, so this one gift she had registered for at X store but my mom bought at Y store on a discount, so my sister gave me her sign in information so I could sign in and remove it from X store registry without her having to see what had been purchased. 

Edit to add: I can't remember if sis knew what mom had bought or if my mom told her it was *a* gift and I was just asked to go in and remove it. 
  • eileenrob said:

How's the ice cream maker? I've toyed with getting one over the years but haven't yet.  Is it super time consuming/a mess to clean up? (And if so, is the taste of the ice cream so much better than store-bought that it makes it worth it? :D  )

@CharmedPam, I meant those as separate events, lol.  I've never eaten ice cream in bed.

@eileenrob, it depends on the ice cream maker.  Growing up, we had a serious one.  Like half the size of an old fashioned butter churn.  And kind of looked like one and worked the same way.  Best ice cream ever!  But it was an enormous undertaking.

The one we got and registered for is much more doable, lol.  It's not that time consuming and the clean-up reminds me of any other small kitchen appliance that needs to be broken down with multiple parts cleaned.  Like a blender, that kind of thing.

I think the ice cream comes out a lot better than store bought.  The ingredients are fresher and often a better quality than what an ice cream factory is going to use.  Plus, the sky's the limit!  You can make whatever flavors and/or add-ins you want.

This is the one we have, in red:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-ice-cream-maker-extra-freezer-bowl/?pkey=e|ice+cream+maker|147|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yea, I'm totally calling bullshit on "not having time" to send out thank you notes. If couples spent as much time writing thank you  notes as they do planning their weddings, they'd be done in a week. 

And I know it will probably blow the minds of many, but you CAN split the list with your FI. It should never be up to one person to do all that work themselves. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Yea, I'm totally calling bullshit on "not having time" to send out thank you notes. If couples spent as much time writing thank you  notes as they do planning their weddings, they'd be done in a week. 

And I know it will probably blow the minds of many, but you CAN split the list with your FI. It should never be up to one person to do all that work themselves. 
    Yup.   I know very few people who have work schedules so long that they can't crank out 4 or 5 notes a day.