Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How much is reasonable for a guest to spend on hotel room?

Hi All!
I am blocking hotel rooms and am not getting prices any better than 134-165 dollars a night . I am only looking for the night of my wedding for guests since my wedding is in the early evening.
The only better prices I am finding are motels 35 miles plus away...
Also, since it is only one night , should I still provide waters and snacks for all guests? My wedding is about 1 hour to 2 hours way from everyone except like 6 people. 
I want everyone to be comfortable with the price I am blocking for! 

Best Answers

Re: How much is reasonable for a guest to spend on hotel room?

• Options
    Hi All!
    I am blocking hotel rooms and am not getting prices any better than 134-165 dollars a night . I am only looking for the night of my wedding for guests since my wedding is in the early evening.
    The only better prices I am finding are motels 35 miles plus away...
    Also, since it is only one night , should I still provide waters and snacks for all guests? My wedding is about 1 hour to 2 hours way from everyone except like 6 people. 
    I want everyone to be comfortable with the price I am blocking for! 
    Could you block rooms at both hotels?  35mi isn't awfully far, if some of the guests can't afford/don't want to spend $134-165.  It's nice to give guests different price points if possible.

Location also plays a role as far as guest expectations.  I've never paid as low as $134 for a hotel room!  I wasn't able to get something that low for my guests.
  • Options
    This is subjective.   $165 is perfectly fine for me.   Not so much for others.     The best thing to do is give guest options and then let them choose.

Water and snacks are never required.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Agree with PPs. What is a good deal for some may be a splurge for others. Get the block at the $165 per night hotel and try to get a block at the cheaper but farther location. That way you’ll provide your guests with options. Welcome bags are not required but just remember if you do end up getting more than one hotel block, you should prove welcome bags at both places for guests of your wedding. 
  • Options
    A block doesn't require anyone to use it. I'd go with this option. If it's too much they can make alternate arrangement. I'd just drive home!
  • Options
    Thank you! Another question I had lingering  was answered as well, Should I block the night before? 
    People are driving an hour to two hours tops, except for one family who is driving 4 hours. 
    I will block at both ! I just wanted to be sure I am being reasonable.

Thank you all! I had another bride telling me to provide snacks and water but I didn't account for this in the budget except for the bridal party. 

• Options
    Thank you! Another question I had lingering  was answered as well, Should I block the night before? 
    People are driving an hour to two hours tops, except for one family who is driving 4 hours. 
    I will block at both ! I just wanted to be sure I am being reasonable.

Thank you all! I had another bride telling me to provide snacks and water but I didn't account for this in the budget except for the bridal party. 
    Depends on the time of day of the wedding and whether you will be having a rehearsal/rehearsal dinner on the night before. If your wedding isn't until late afternoon or evening, you shouldn't need a block of the same size, but I might reserve some rooms for anyone who might have to be in town the night before, like the bridal party.

If your wedding is at like 1 PM, then I imagine a lot more of the guests might stay the night before.
  • Options
    Snacks and water not required. A hotel block is not required either- it is a courtesy you are providing based on the fact that the hotel is likely to get a fair amount of business from your wedding.

We had blocks at 2 hotels, one cheaper than the other, but each within a 10 min drive from the hotel. Several of our guests found their own accommodations that were cheaper but required a bit more driving.
  • Options
    That rate range sounds pretty normal to me for hotel rooms. But if you think it's out of the budget of your guests, I'd give them the option of both hotels and let them decide. I agree that I would block the night before the wedding as well, as many people, myself included, would prefer to arrive the day before to allow for the possibility of transportation delays. I realized this after my father booked his flight to my aunt's funeral too close to the start time on the day of the funeral and then had to cancel when there was a flight delay that prevented his arriving on time.

Water and snacks for your guests is a nice gesture, but not required.
  • Options
    I'd block the night before if it doesn't require guests to book both nights. 
  • Options
    Hotel blocks are not required. They're just a convenience to try and get people in the same location at a decent price. 

That said though, you can book what's called a "courtesy block" at no cost or obligation to you. Usually it's just a few rooms (10 or so and they'll add if rooms are available), but it might be nice to have a cheaper option even it is a little further. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Hotel blocks are not required. They're just a convenience to try and get people in the same location at a decent price. 

That said though, you can book what's called a "courtesy block" at no cost or obligation to you. Usually it's just a few rooms (10 or so and they'll add if rooms are available), but it might be nice to have a cheaper option even it is a little further. 
    This is what we did. The hotel right by our venue is about the same price point as the OP mentioned but we also blocked a set of rooms at a slightly cheaper hotel a little further away.