Attire & Accessories Forum

Question: picking up a bridesmaids dress--do I need to try on?

I have to go pick up a bridesmaids dress (for me, to be a bridesmaid in someone else's wedding) at David's Bridal. I am 100% positive that the dress will need alterations, and I'm also 100% positive that I'm not having the alterations done there. Do I really need to try on the dress when I pick it up? Or can I just look it over? 

I ask because it would be super convenient if I can stop in to pick it up on a day I'm going to have my kid with me, and really don't want to try on a dress with her there. 

Re: Question: picking up a bridesmaids dress--do I need to try on?

• I think you should try it on just to make sure it is the size you ordered and that there is nothing wrong with the dress.
  • I think you should try it on just to make sure it is the size you ordered and that there is nothing wrong with the dress.
    I feel like I can look it over to see that nothing is wrong and that it's the correct size. If I ordered the correct size and it doesn't fit, that's my fault and they won't do anything about it no matter what, I assume?

I guess the question is really--what are the chances that anything I find with the dress is something that David's Bridal will give a rat's ass about and do something for me LOL. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017
    Question?  Why on earth don't you want to try it on in the store before you accept delivery?  This is the best thing you can do to protect your investment in the dress.  What is the problem?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'd also try it on before leaving.  I try things on with three littles from time to time- it definitely sucks but it's possible.  
  • Yeah I would just try it on. I'm sure that's far more difficult with a little one, but if there's a problem with the zipper, or fit, or construction you might not know unless it's on. Looking at it is only going to tell you the big mistakes I think. What's the resistance?
  • Try it on in the store. You may have ordered the correct size, but it could be made wonky or have issues that you will only see if you try on. The only time I wouldn't bother trying something on is if the store has a 100% no questions asked return policy.
  • Thanks for the feedback all. My resistance to trying it on is that it'll be a pain in the ass with my toddler there. That coupled with my knowledge of David's Bridal's terrible return policies/customer service in general. I was thinking that the only possible way that they would order a new dress and/or give me a refund is if 1) it's clearly not the right dress, or 2) it's not the size I ordered, or 3) there are major defects. All of that I figured I could tell by looking at it without trying it on. Anything else "wrong" I figured I'd be stuck with regardless. 

But you're right that there could be more minor construction mistakes or they could have sewn in the wrong size label, which I would only be able to tell by trying it on. I think this is very unlikely, so I'll probably make a decision in store. 
  • OMG. I don't know whether this is just me being nervous about my wedding or anyone feels the same. The bride is your friend, isn't it? Surely our girls should order dress together and party it on. If it does not fit, as a bride-to-be myself, I will be glad to do alterations with my friends. This is why I prefer online shopping, with less price offered, I can have more budget on doing alterations. If a retailer is selling it at really high price without customizing, I don't know why should I buy it.
  • OMG. I don't know whether this is just me being nervous about my wedding or anyone feels the same. The bride is your friend, isn't it? Surely our girls should order dress together and party it on. If it does not fit, as a bride-to-be myself, I will be glad to do alterations with my friends. This is why I prefer online shopping, with less price offered, I can have more budget on doing alterations. If a retailer is selling it at really high price without customizing, I don't know why should I buy it.
    The wedding party is not required to try on or order their dresses all at the same time or with the bride. They are adults and are capable of ordering and trying on a dress. If you, the bride, wants to cover the cost of alterations for your bridesmaids, that is great of you, but you being there or not being there will not change whether or not alterations are needed.

As for buying online- it's buyer beware. You never know exactly how something is going to fit or the quality if it isn't a reputable store. I wouldn't buy something online unless they have an excellent return policy (though you often have to pay the return shipping as well). You are right- some companies have only online stores thus less overhead and are able to sell a good product for a lower price, but you have to be careful and know who you are buying from. Even though David's is really shitty about returns, at least if you try on the dress in the store before you leave and notice an issue, it is on the store and something can be done about it.

As for "high price without customization", well that is up for debate. In the world of dresses, David's Bridal isn't high priced. If you went to a store to buy an item of clothing that you expected the retailer to alter for free, you'd be paying a lot higher of a price or looking at made to measure, not ordering a standard made dress.
  • Online shopping is a really bad idea unless you are ordering from a reputable USA company like David's Bridal!  Buyer beware!  Those Chinese sweatshops don't deliver what they promise!
    Return policy?  No USA bridal shop will allow you to return merchandise once you have accepted delivery.  Do you really think you will get a refund after you pay shipping back to China?  Good luck with that!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    The bride went dress shopping with other her other 2 bridesmaids and picked the dress; they ordered them then. I went back with her another day to see the dress, get measured, and order it. I tried on the sample (in the wrong size, wrong color) the day I was there with her. 

Alterations is really a solo activity. Now that I have the dress, I'll find my own seamstress and have it altered to fit correctly prior to the wedding. 

The dress was not priced higher than any other dress in my closet; I don't expect the rest of my clothes to be customized by the retailer and don't expect a dress, even a bridesmaids dress, to be customized by the retailer either. 
  • SP29 said:
    OMG. I don't know whether this is just me being nervous about my wedding or anyone feels the same. The bride is your friend, isn't it? Surely our girls should order dress together and party it on. If it does not fit, as a bride-to-be myself, I will be glad to do alterations with my friends. This is why I prefer online shopping, with less price offered, I can have more budget on doing alterations. If a retailer is selling it at really high price without customizing, I don't know why should I buy it.
    The wedding party is not required to try on or order their dresses all at the same time or with the bride. They are adults and are capable of ordering and trying on a dress. If you, the bride, wants to cover the cost of alterations for your bridesmaids, that is great of you, but you being there or not being there will not change whether or not alterations are needed.

As for buying online- it's buyer beware. You never know exactly how something is going to fit or the quality if it isn't a reputable store. I wouldn't buy something online unless they have an excellent return policy (though you often have to pay the return shipping as well). You are right- some companies have only online stores thus less overhead and are able to sell a good product for a lower price, but you have to be careful and know who you are buying from. Even though David's is really shitty about returns, at least if you try on the dress in the store before you leave and notice an issue, it is on the store and something can be done about it.

As for "high price without customization", well that is up for debate. In the world of dresses, David's Bridal isn't high priced. If you went to a store to buy an item of clothing that you expected the retailer to alter for free, you'd be paying a lot higher of a price or looking at made to measure, not ordering a standard made dress.
    I don't think you get my point. The bride would be very happy to see her BMs trying on dresses, as this shows their support. If the BM even does not going to try on the dress before the wedding, it sucks as hell. 

I don't care whether they shop it online or shop it in store, as long as it is not some shitty dress looks ugly on my wedding. They are showing their support for me if they can order together, be active, and show patience. AND I WILL ALWAYS BE THERE TO HELP. My BMs have a $150 budget, so I want them to spend all of that on a dress without alterations as I know how much can alterations cost. We've checked David's Bridal. Didn't like it. The ones on sale are like fossils. And I really don't like how they said that the dress looks outdated because they are timeless. HELLO, TIMELESS does not equal to granny-like.
  • MandyMost said:MandyMost said:
    OMG. I don't know whether this is just me being nervous about my wedding or anyone feels the same. The bride is your friend, isn't it? Surely our girls should order dress together and party it on. If it does not fit, as a bride-to-be myself, I will be glad to do alterations with my friends. This is why I prefer online shopping, with less price offered, I can have more budget on doing alterations. If a retailer is selling it at really high price without customizing, I don't know why should I buy it.
    The bride went dress shopping with other her other 2 bridesmaids and picked the dress; they ordered them then. I went back with her another day to see the dress, get measured, and order it. I tried on the sample (in the wrong size, wrong color) the day I was there with her. 

Alterations is really a solo activity. Now that I have the dress, I'll find my own seamstress and have it altered to fit correctly prior to the wedding. 

The dress was not priced higher than any other dress in my closet; I don't expect the rest of my clothes to be customized by the retailer and don't expect a dress, even a bridesmaids dress, to be customized by the retailer either. 
    Then our case is different. I can understand my BMs are not available at the same time, but I do want them to agree on dresses that they equally like. They are paying for a dress that they'll probably never wear again, and my wedding is the only occasion they gonna wear it on. This is why I want to make sure the dress fit well, and I'm pretty sure they want to look wonderful that day. I am doing the alterations for them because I want to show my consideration. They are there for me, and I'm there for them. 

We are not models. The dress from a retailer will look more or less weird on us, and I want my BMs to feel happy and comfortable in their dress on my wedding.