Wedding Woes

Tuesday?

2»

Re: Tuesday?

• @OurWildKingdom Funny I was just talking about jury duty with a coworker. What's the process in the states? Does it vary from state-to-state?
  • @OurWildKingdom Funny I was just talking about jury duty with a coworker. What's the process in the states? Does it vary from state-to-state?

Yes, indeedy.  I think it varies a lot state-to-state and even county-to-county.

I've actually been really surprised at how much @OurWildKingdom has actually had to hang out at the courthouse.

In Orleans Parish (county) where I live, jury duty is potentially up to two weeks to be chosen.  You call into an automated system either the night before or early in the morning.  Most of the time, you're told to not come in.  If you go two weeks without having to go in, you're done.  That's your jury duty and you won't be called for another two years (something like that).

If the prompt says you need to come in, you'll show up at the courthouse.  Hang out, usually for just the morning.  Then either get sent home or are put on a jury.  If you're sent home, you're done.  You don't have to show up another day.  You don't even have to call in any more.  Your jury duty is done for two more years.  Now, if you're put on a jury, of course that will be for as long as the trial is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OWK - I was seated and sworn in for a jury on a murder trial.  We were supposed to start trial on Monday.  Over the weekend, I got a call from the judge's chambers that they settled.  So I had to go a few days until they were able to fully pick our jury.  

MKD - Each jurisdiction is different.  I'm in Camden County, so when I go for State court it is just for 1 day, unless you are selected for a jury.  But in Burlington County (right above us) you go for a full 5 days.  Federal Court is totally different and I'm not sure how that works.  Grand Jury is once a week for 16 weeks in NJ too.  I know a few people who got selected for Grand Jury!

Oooohhh...I have a question for you.  In the U.S., a person's job is protected by Federal Law if they miss work because they served on a jury.  However, their employer does not have to pay them for any missed work.

Many companies I've worked for choose to pay their employees for a limited amount of jury duty.  Usually just 3 days, though.

Canada seems so much better for worker's rights.  Do you know what the deal is there for jury duty?  Are employers required to pay their workers' salary, even if they are gone for jury duty?

@OliveOilsMom makes a good point I hadn't thought about.  The type of court can also make a big difference on how jury stuff is done.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @OurWildKingdom count me in with the people who want to do jury duty one day!  Keep us posted.  My grandma got to do a robbery trial once and loved telling the story!  I've gotten a notice twice, but only had to report once since I had changed counties the second time.  And when I did go in, I didn't get picked.  It was like elementary school kickball all over again.

@6fsn No way would I sell the car to them given their shit show history, and probably an UO but I'd lie too because telling the truth could be a can of worms in and of itself....I wish we could but we're counting on this donation to help us with our taxes this year.  Sorry.

• @short+sassy  @OliveOilsMom thanks for clarification! Jury duty is weird and I figured it was probably different in diff parts
  • @short+sassy. Two weeks?! Man that is forever. Ours (CA) is just a week and you have to call in that week every night unless they call you in and dismiss you. I'd be so stressed waiting for two whole weeks. Lol. I also think there needs to be something better in place for people who end up on long trials. You get like $5 a day for jury duty here. Which is ridiculous. What if you ended up on a 3-6 month trial? Sure your work can't fire you but you still have bills to pay. 

@6fsn I second not selling the car to BIL for the reasons short+sassy mentioned. Back when I had my mini people wanted it but I refused to sell it for those reasons. Plus it's super awkward when something goes wrong. It feels like your fault even when it isn't. 

• @short+sassy that sucks about your repeated issues with the USPS with your insulin!! Can you call your Postmaster to file a complaint and/or see what can be done?

@mrsconn23 I hope your foot feels better!!

@OurWildKingdom in MA for local jury duty you go in and either get put on a jury or get sent home and then you’re done for 3 years. I somehow manage to get summonsed regularly. I did federal jury duty in 2011 and that fulfilled my jury requirement through 2016 though I did manage to get called a few times in betweeen and I had to provide proof I already served. 

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. The wake and funeral for H’s aunt are both on Thursday down the Cape. I’m bringing Babypants to the wake to pay my respects and then am thinking she and I will skip the funeral mass and hang out at H’s parents house until the family gathering afterwards so if she gets fussy she’s not a distraction. Although I already know SIL & BIL will be bringing their two young boys with them as always and they will inevitably make a scene. Hopefully I can lead by example. 

• @Lala9414, we jinxed you!

@sparklepants41, my condolences for your H's aunt!

I used to regularly have a different problem with these deliveries.  I think our mail carrier just wasn't bringing the package.  Nor was he/she leaving the little note that it was at the station.  But they were INPUTTING in the system that they were leaving that note.  I'd have no idea there was even a package waiting for me.  There were a few times I got it "just in the nick of time" because I'd called the company wondering when it was sent and they gave me the tracking number.

I complained a couple times to my local station, but the problem kept happening.  Until it wasn't in the "nick of time".  I checked the tracking number, which the company doesn't normally send and I had to get it from them, only to see my package was scheduled to be sent back on Saturday.  I called the local station on Thurs. afternoon and said I would be there on Friday to make sure it would still be there.  Absolutely.

It's early afternoon on Fri.  I get off work.  I'm running errands.  Someone turns left in front of me and totals my car.  I'm upset.  I'm shaken up.  I'm in pain.  But I call my H to go to the stupid post office and pick up my package.  Which he does.  Except it isn't there.  They tell him it is being sent back, but might be at the main post office.  So he bikes over to the main post office...because he doesn't have a car.  But it isn't there either.

Took him two hours to do all of that and get back home.

Turns out, the package had been sent back the night before.  Over one day early from what the USPS website and my local station had told me.  Had not been anywhere in NOLA that whole day.  It had been in Miami by 3AM.  I did eventually get the package.  But another three weeks later, smh.

Words really can't adequately describe how beyond livid I was.  I wrote a snail mail complaint letter to the Postmaster General in D.C.  I wrote an e-mail.  I called the customer service line.

I don't know what happened on their end from all of that, but something was definitely said!  For future deliveries, we received a knock on the door.  And if no one was home, they left the little note in the mailbox.  Wow, actually doing their job.  What a concept.

I also made sure I always get a tracking no. e-mailed to me from the company, after the order has been sent.

And that's the long story of why I despise the USPS.

They also randomly deliver my neighbor's mail who has the same address number, but is on a different street.  And the same for her.  That happens a few times a month.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited October 2017
    Here in Cuyahoga County, you have to report for at least three days. They pick new jurors on Monday and Wednesday, so it’s possible that if I don’t get picked for a jury tomorrow, I’ll be done.

Our system for picking jurors is totally random. I’ve been registered to vote since I was 18 and have only been summoned for jury duty twice. The last time was 10 years ago.

Edited to add: I get paid time off that doesn’t count against my vacation or comp time.
  • @short+sassy omg wtf that seriously sucks!!!!!!!!!!
  • Got picked for a jury on a criminal case. Went upstairs to the courtroom to find out they got a resolution on the case. Back in the jury pool till tomorrow. They get a new group on Wednesdays, so I might be done after tomorrow.

I read “Rules for Radicals” by Saul Alinsky and spent too much time on my phone. Tomorrow I’m bringing a charger.

Volunteering at the food bank tonight with my Humanist group, then taking Housemate to get her things from our friend’s house.
    You should start reading a book with an inflammatory title - like "Guilty until proven innocent" or "if they're arrested, they must be guilty" or "why the judiciary branch is pointless" or "The case for anarchy in America" or "The slammer: why prisons should be eliminated"

Make sure the attorneys can see the cover. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Got picked for a jury on a criminal case. Went upstairs to the courtroom to find out they got a resolution on the case. Back in the jury pool till tomorrow. They get a new group on Wednesdays, so I might be done after tomorrow.

I read “Rules for Radicals” by Saul Alinsky and spent too much time on my phone. Tomorrow I’m bringing a charger.

Volunteering at the food bank tonight with my Humanist group, then taking Housemate to get her things from our friend’s house.
    You should start reading a book with an inflammatory title - like "Guilty until proven innocent" or "if they're arrested, they must be guilty" or "why the judiciary branch is pointless" or "The case for anarchy in America" or "The slammer: why prisons should be eliminated"

Make sure the attorneys can see the cover. 
    On deck today is “Dark Money,” by Jane Mayer, about the Koch brothers. Probably not inflammatory enough, but worth a try.