Chit Chat

**SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

edited October 2017 in Chit Chat
I’ve updated the title since we’ve been talking about more than just the first episode. Caveat still stands though, this thread contains spoilers!!!

Who watched the season premiere of This Is Us? I have So. Many. Questions!!!

STOP READING NOW IF YOU STILL HAVEN’T SEEN THE SEASON 2 PREMIERE EPISODE 

Does Jack get in the car?
What’s with the fire?
Did we know Sophie’s mom has MS or is that new information this season?

Re: **SPOILER ALERT!** This Is Us

• Doh!  I didn't realize a new season for This is Us had started.  I must not have it set on my DVR.  I will need to remedy that.

I will get back on here to discuss, once I watch it.

So far for new seasons, I watched the Big Bang Theory, NCIS (original), and Bull.  I have NCIS: New Orleans and the Mick on my DVR, but have not had a chance to watch them yet.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @sparklepants- I think Jack does get in the car.... I think there was a shot of him in the car next to her, and then it changed to her driving alone, when she pulled up to the house.

I guess we know how Jack dies now, huh?  :(  UGH- so sad.  

• NowIAmSyp said:
    @sparklepants- I think Jack does get in the car.... I think there was a shot of him in the car next to her, and then it changed to her driving alone, when she pulled up to the house.

I guess we know how Jack dies now, huh?  :(  UGH- so sad.  

Yes but I’m still super curious re: the circumstances around his death. Remember last season Kate says it was her fault he died??
  • Based on the attire I wonder if there's a fire on a Superbowl Sunday?  
  • @banana468 ooohhh interesting!! I hadn’t thought of that - I’ll bet you’re right!!
  • I am wondering if he starts the fire to commit suicide or something. That was my first thought when I saw the house and her reaction. Morbid, I know. 

I’m pretty sure that Sophie’s Mom having MS was new information. I don’t remember seeing that in past episodes. 

The whole episode just gave me so many feelings. Lol. 

• I also thought it was new information that Sophie’s Mom has MS. It was weird how they kept crowbarring that fact in multiple times.

I’m wondering if Jack sees the fire as an accident (forgets the gas is on and lights a candle) vs does it on purpose. 
  • I also thought it was new information that Sophie’s Mom has MS. It was weird how they kept crowbarring that fact in multiple times.

I’m wondering if Jack sees the fire as an accident (forgets the gas is on and lights a candle) vs does it on purpose. 
    I'm wondering if there's a drunken oops that's not intentional.  But maybe a trapped drunken fire?  

And if Kate is the reason he died maybe there's something like an iron or curling iron or something left near an open flame she does that lights the house on fire while he's out of it? 
  • I haven't read a word of this post.

i am 3 minutes into the first episode and already crying. 

Will report back back after I finished the episode and have read this thread.
  • Was my version edited?? I never saw jack in the car with her?

the end of my episode was her asking jack to get in the car. Then a scene of her driving alone, I assume 3 months later. Kate and Randell are crying a Miguel's house and Kevin is making out with a girl with a cast on. Then Rebecca drive up to the burnt house, no scene of jack in the fire. 

I love Beth and her fake smoking. I can't wait to see how their adoption goes. 
  • @missJeanLouise I never saw Jack in the car either. I don’t know if we’re to assume he gets in or not? 

@banana468 I’m curious what the connection is with Kate saying it’s her fault he’s dead. 

And that fake smoking is hilarious. 
  • I watched for a 2nd time last night, and he definitely gets in the car. It’s quick though, so it would be really easy to miss. 

Also, I cried even harder the 2nd time. 

• I think I have an idea how Jack dies but I'm not 100% sure .... also it's only speculation.

My heart broke when I saw the house. It's their dream house wtf!
  • I think I have an idea how Jack dies but I'm not 100% sure .... also it's only speculation.

Omg you better PM me!!! 

Omg you better PM me!!! 
    On it!
  • I'm a little late to the party but I don't know if I was feeling super emotional or what but I definitely was crying during Kate's "Landslide" performance.

And wtf on everyone skipping out on Kevin's show taping, that made me mad.
  • kvruns said:
    I'm a little late to the party but I don't know if I was feeling super emotional or what but I definitely was crying during Kate's "Landslide" performance.

I get the impression that while everyone was there for Kevin, Kevin has been the center of attention so this allowed the other family members to sort out their shit.   Without running out Kevin and Beth wouldn't have had the heart to heart.   And since Kate has been Kevin's lifeline so long, it was her turn.

• banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    I'm a little late to the party but I don't know if I was feeling super emotional or what but I definitely was crying during Kate's "Landslide" performance.

I get the impression that while everyone was there for Kevin, Kevin has been the center of attention so this allowed the other family members to sort out their shit.   Without running out Kevin and Beth wouldn't have had the heart to heart.   And since Kate has been Kevin's lifeline so long, it was her turn.

yea I get it, but for some reason it just annoyed me. You are right though, Kevin has been the center of attention and they've come for his other stuff (like the play). I think it's one of those things where I would be so annoyed if it happened to me that I can't separate that from TV LOL
  • kvruns said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

yea I get it, but for some reason it just annoyed me. You are right though, Kevin has been the center of attention and they've come for his other stuff (like the play). I think it's one of those things where I would be so annoyed if it happened to me that I can't separate that from TV LOL
    Totes get it.

Also, did you see in the premier that Kevin's GF is pregnant IRL?   Think that's a plot twist we'll see? 
  • banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

Totes get it.

Also, did you see in the premier that Kevin's GF is pregnant IRL?   Think that's a plot twist we'll see? 
    oh interesting I hadn't seen that. Definitely possible
  • kvruns said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:

Totes get it.

oh interesting I hadn't seen that. Definitely possible
    Either that or they’ll break up because  she has to care for her mom.

Also I’m changing the thread title so it reflects more than just the first episode.
  • Ugh. Episode 2 left me needing more. I just love Beth and Toby more every time.

kate and her moms relationship hits close to home for me so it is hard to watch but everyone in the world needs to watch Toby stand up to Rebecca because it is PERFECT!

the closer we get to jack dying the more anxious I feel.
  • Ugh. Episode 2 left me needing more. I just love Beth and Toby more every time.

kate and her moms relationship hits close to home for me so it is hard to watch but everyone in the world needs to watch Toby stand up to Rebecca because it is PERFECT!

I am torn on how Kate acted towards her mom in episode 2.... I just felt like it was so.... I don't know.... unwarranted?  I didn't think Mandy Moore was actually doing any of the things that Kate said she was....  but perhaps I missed something?  

Would love to hear other's take on it....  :)
  • NowIAmSyp said:
    Ugh. Episode 2 left me needing more. I just love Beth and Toby more every time.

I am torn on how Kate acted towards her mom in episode 2.... I just felt like it was so.... I don't know.... unwarranted?  I didn't think Mandy Moore was actually doing any of the things that Kate said she was....  but perhaps I missed something?  

I'm going to be the sourpuss who is so tired of this show dragging ooonnnnn how the father dies, that I just don't even care anymore.

I do see what Kate is saying.  And I see where the mom's actions/words have contributed to her feeling that way.  But I also think, because Kate is an overly sensitive person, she has also spent her life sometimes taking her mom's constructive criticisms overboard.

But, yeah, that was especially annoying when the mom...after Kate's first public performance...doesn't just say, "You were great!  You sounded just beautiful.  I'm so proud of you!"  Done.  Leave it at that.  No constructive criticism.

She could go back to Kate a few days later with "here are some helpful tips..."  But no need to say right after the performance, "You were so good!  Except..."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NowIAmSyp said:
    Ugh. Episode 2 left me needing more. I just love Beth and Toby more every time.

This is just my personal experience but a lot of the shit that my mom does that affects me the most is not malicious and may be even imagined on my part. It all comes from a lifetime of personality conflicts and misunderstandings. It isn’t that Rebecca was doing those things intentionally to Kate but Kate experienced Rebecca’s actions as such. Like how her mom gives her a compliment but she knows there is a critic on the inside, for everything, her weight, her house, her singing, etc.  Real or not, that is why she dreaded seeing her mother.

@short+sassy  I get what you are saying about Jack. I don’t necessarily care about HOW he dies anymore but it make me anxious because it could happen soon. Kind of like a jump scare in a scary movie.

• As someone that has a complicated relationship with their mother, I can totally relate to Kate. My mother was the source of a lot of my body image issues, and I ended up developing an eating disorder in my late teens. Before I met my husband, I went out a date with a man who had been interested in me a while. And I will never forget what my mother said. "Oh wow, he was interested in you even back when you were heavier?" We're talking 20 pounds, BTW. I could go on and on like this with things she's said to me over the years. 

Rebecca makes these kinds of comments to Kate. Her singing was great BUT...
    I don't think what Kate said was unwarranted. Honestly, I've said much worse to my mom. When there's 30+ years of hurt, you're talking about a lot of pain, a lot of pent up anger and frustration. 
  • NowIAmSypNowIAmSyp member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2017
    Thanks!  Looks like I have to go back and re-watch the episode, because I CLEARLY missed Rebecca's comments...  here I was thinking Kate was only perceiving the slights....  
  • Did no one else pick up on the random soldier reference? 
  • edited October 2017
    Did no one else pick up on the random soldier reference? 
    Apparently not? What was it?

Edited: ohhhh when Jack was a solider!? I just assumed they were showing why he drank. That, his dad, ... 
  • Did no one else pick up on the random soldier reference? 
    Apparently not? What was it?

Edited: ohhhh when Jack was a solider!? I just assumed they were showing why he drank. That, his dad, ... 

It happened so fast I don't remember the details, I was just like "whaa?"  Was he a soldier?