Wedding Reception Forum

Photo display...yay or nay?

Hello! My fiance finds it odd to place pictures of us at our wedding. While I hadn't given it a second thought, he seems to think it's redundant. "It's already OUR wedding," he says. We are a family of three so the mom in me would love to place just a couple family photos. Especially since we have a mantle to decorate at our venue. Thoughts?

Re: Photo display...yay or nay?

• I don't think having a couple small pictures is weird. I think having pictures of you included in the centerpieces is weird but a small frame on a mantle or by the guest book is fine. I would also side eye large portraits or pictures of you/your family in multiple locations, like on the mantle, by the guest book, in the bathroom, by the buffet, etc.
  • I think one or two pictures of your family would be fine on the mantle. I wouldn't do anymore. Most picture displays I have seen at recent weddings have been wedding pictures of the couples parents and grandparents. 
  • I think one or two pictures of your family would be fine on the mantle. I wouldn't do anymore. Most picture displays I have seen at recent weddings have been wedding pictures of the couples parents and grandparents. 
    We did this, and we've seen it at a lot of weddings recently, I think it's nice. 
  • Thank you for your responses. One small frame near guest book and an 8x10 on the mantle is what I was thinking! As far as a memorial table for passed loved ones, I have one of those as well. It just dawned on me that the less photos I have of us, the more the photos of my loved ones will probably stand out.
  • I don't get why he would give two shits about this. Really. So you want to have a couple of family photos at your own wedding? He needs to pick his battles. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Thank you for your responses. One small frame near guest book and an 8x10 on the mantle is what I was thinking! As far as a memorial table for passed loved ones, I have one of those as well. It just dawned on me that the less photos I have of us, the more the photos of my loved ones will probably stand out.
    I wouldn't make a table of photos of just deceased loved ones - looks too much like a memorial. It would be fine to have wedding pictures of living and deceased loved ones.
  • H and I had three framed pics of us in our cocktail hour room- one on the table with the seat cards, one on the mantle...I'm not sure where the other one was.  No one seemed offended. 
  • Don't have a table of photos of only deceased loved ones. Either mix them in with photos of living loved ones or omit them altogether and remember your deceased loved ones by more subtle means, such as providing food, drinks, decorations or entertainment they would have enjoyed, wearing or carrying something associated with them, giving them tributes in a wedding program, or saying appropriate prayers if your ceremony is religious.

But a display table of photos dedicated to deceased persons could evoke grief and loss at what should be a happy occasion.