Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Carrot Cake/Groom Cake

Taking a poll and using responses to determine how guests feel...

Who like carrot cake?

Back story. So my fiancé doesn't like sweet or cake but he really wanted to  pick the cake flavor (or at least at layer of it) No problem. He then says he wants carrot cake.

Only issue is I'm allergic to nuts and baker says the cake won't be the same without out the nuts.

I suggested a grooms cake that it carrot cake and therefore wouldn't be touching the other layers. He's now saying "we can get something else. I don't like sweets"

So he wants carrot cake...but not a grooms cake....

Trying to get a poll of who likes carrot cake to see if having a carrot grooms cake would be a waste or not.

Other suggestions/ideas welcome

Re: Carrot Cake/Groom Cake

• I don't mind  carrot cake, but I would definitely not include it as part of your actual cake if you're allergic.  Maybe a spice cake?
  • edited October 2017
    I love carrot cake, and I think it tastes just as good without nuts.

When my cousin got married, she had a cake that was actually a variety of flavors, all bound together with fondant. Your baker could do something like that, or you could simply buy several partial or full sheet cakes. (Depends on how big your wedding is.)

I’m with @MRDCle, a spice cake might be a better option.
  • If he doesn't like sweets, why does he even have an opinion on flavor? And picking a generally unpopular flavor? Why? 

This is the most expensive cake you will ever purchase and it's for (likely) the largest number of people you will ever entertain.

Just pick a couple of universally liked flavors. And don't ask for opinions of people who don't even care for sweets. That's like asking a vegetarian to choose the meat selections and they pick octopus. Just....no.
    *********************************************************************************

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2017
    I prefer carrot cake without nuts. I don't think there's anything wrong with having it for your wedding. 

ETA: Yes, I do like carrot cake. 
  • Love carrot cake. DD had that as one flavor at her wedding. It was delicious. I've never had it without nuts so can't comment on that. A groom's cake is a good solution though.
  • I work for a pastry company, and we make carrot cake. It's one of our most popular items, and it's nut-free. I'm not sure why this baker thinks that will ruin the taste. 
  • I don't like sweets much either, but I love carrot cake.  Or, to be more specific, I love the cream cheese frosting it comes with.  Heavy on the cream cheese taste.

Perhaps ask him that.  Is it really the carrot cake he likes or is it the cream cheese frosting?  Which, when prepared correctly, isn't as sweet as other frostings.  It has a nice, little tang.

I totally disagree with your baker.  I think carrot cake would taste just fine without nuts.  I think the nut flavor is pretty minor in a carrot cake.  If a carrot cake layer is going in the wedding cake, instead of a groom's cake, DO NOT risk any nuts being in the cake.  It is not worth a potential allergic reaction.

Maybe this is regional, but carrot cake is always a favorite in my office for birthdays.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I. Love. Carrot. Cake. And it's totally the same without nuts. BUT I agree maybe a spice cake would be a good compromise?
  • Not a fan of carrot cake, but I don't think it has to have nuts. Tell your FI that if having one is so important, then he can have one as a groom's cake, but it can't have any nuts. If he can't find a bakery that will make one without nuts, then he'll have to suck it up and not have one.
  • Idk what your baker is talking about but there is no reason you can't make carrot cake without nuts. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Not a fan of carrot cake, but I don't think it has to have nuts. Tell your FI that if having one is so important, then he can have one as a groom's cake, but it can't have any nuts. If he can't find a bakery that will make one without nuts, then he'll have to suck it up and not have one.
    I don't understand why the groom's cake can't have nuts. It isn't touching the wedding cake. OP doesn't have to eat the groom's cake.
  • I love carrot cake - mostly because it’s a vehicle for cream cheese frosting lol. I prefer it without nuts because I don’t actually like nuts in my desserts. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Not a fan of carrot cake, but I don't think it has to have nuts. Tell your FI that if having one is so important, then he can have one as a groom's cake, but it can't have any nuts. If he can't find a bakery that will make one without nuts, then he'll have to suck it up and not have one.
    I don't understand why the groom's cake can't have nuts. It isn't touching the wedding cake. OP doesn't have to eat the groom's cake.
    Unless her allergy to nuts is such that she can't be exposed to their odors because that would send her into anaphylactic shock.
  • @Jen4948 and @ILoveBeachMusic It's a mild nut allergy. I can't eat them but I can be around them and such. I can eat AROUND the nuts in food even if I need. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2017
    Sorry!  Wrong board.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Update: Now that he knows what a grooms cake could be (Like a large hockey puck with his favorite team on it) he's okay having one :-) 
    Dude is trying to kill me with frustration I swear!! lol

Thanks!!! 
    Great solution! Carrot cake is kind of polarizing (personally, I don't like it except for the cream cheese frosting) so having it as the grooms cake is a great way to include something that your FI likes without having a wedding cake that a lot of people may not want to eat. 

Personally, the one time I actually enjoyed carrot cake, it didn't have nuts in it. So I'm not sure what this baker is talking about.
  • I love carrot cake, and prefer it without nuts, so I think your baker is, well, nuts. 

Also glad he's on board for the groom's cake. 
  • Count me as another person who likes carrot cake, but doesn't like the nuts in it (or when people put raisins in it). Carrot cake is actually nice to have around because sometimes I want something a little sweet, but not like chocolate cake sweet. 

• levioosa said:
    Count me as another person who likes carrot cake, but doesn't like the nuts in it (or when people put raisins in it). Carrot cake is actually nice to have around because sometimes I want something a little sweet, but not like chocolate cake sweet. 
    Eeeewwwwww! I dislike raisins in general, but they especially do NOT, under any circumstance, belong in dessert! My H likes oatmeal raisin cookies. Umm, no. 

#raisinhatin'
  • It depends on the quality. If it's not a great made cake, it's just "meh" (where as other cakes are never just meh). But if it's well made- it is delicious!! I also do not often see nuts in carrot cake. I have, but I've had it more times without nuts- so that's just ridiculous.

If your FI is really into the grooms cake and will eat some too, go for it. But otherwise I wouldn't get two cakes just to include carrot cake.
  • I’m a big fan of carrot cake. Heavy on the raisins, void of nuts. Agree with PP about nut free options. 
  • I love carrot cakes with the works (walnuts, raisins, cream cheese frosting).