Wedding Woes

Today is Tuesday, right?

Hello?  My internal clock is all off after having yesterday off (I'm not complaining)  

I'm still on cloud nine from the Astros win yesterday.  I watched the first part of the Yankees / Indians game and am looking forward to a good game 5!  

Everyone in my immediate family has installed an app called Marco Polo.  It's pretty fun because you can send video messages to everyone in your group.  It's quite entertaining when my 2 year old nephew gets on it because he sees our faces on the phone screen and tries to give us a kiss.  It's adorable!  And, the messages don't delete.  Yesterday I was spamming my family with videos of me yelling during the game.

How's everyone else?

Re: Today is Tuesday, right?

• Have our first paid babysitter tonight as a practice run for needing her in 2 weeks. Little nervous since the baby had his first bottle at daycare super early and he was awake super early so he might be a fussy mess tonight. Probably good practice haha. 

My office is starting to get super busy as this is our busy time (open enrollment for benefits for like 2/3 of our clients) but my job doesn't follow this same track so I always feel weird twiddling my thumbs while everyone else is crazy. I still have stuff to do but it is on my own time vs frantic deadlines. 
  • @holyguacamole79, interesting app.  I should look into it with my nieces.  I also love that the cubs won.  Go cubbies!
    @kvruns, you're getting busy and Nov and Dec are our slow months!

SSDD for me.  I found out on Sunday (and yesterday) that not only does food network bring me Halloween Wars and Halloween Baker Championship they also have a larger than life Halloween Wars with Hayride of Horrors.  The last two days were 2 hours of sculpting fun!  god, I love Food Network in October. 

• kvruns said:
    Have our first paid babysitter tonight as a practice run for needing her in 2 weeks. Little nervous since the baby had his first bottle at daycare super early and he was awake super early so he might be a fussy mess tonight. Probably good practice haha. 

My office is starting to get super busy as this is our busy time (open enrollment for benefits for like 2/3 of our clients) but my job doesn't follow this same track so I always feel weird twiddling my thumbs while everyone else is crazy. I still have stuff to do but it is on my own time vs frantic deadlines. 
    Thanks for the reminder - I need to do my benefits enrollment!!  
  • I didn't have yesterday off.  Harumph.  But that does explain why traffic wasn't as bad as it usually is.

Today has been a busy day at work, which is actually nice to have things to do.  Even my "busy" days are usually not hectic or stressful.

I ordered my new sheet set last night to go with the new mattress size.  Wow! Had a hard time finding colors, other than white.  75%-ish of the listings were sheet sets in white only.  On the good side, I ended up finding a set I "think" I want that was in the $55 range, rather than the $90 ones I'd had my eye on.   On the bad side, they only had two reviews (both 5 stars) vs. the ones I originally wanted that had thousands.

Unfortunately, I am just not a good enough housekeeper to do white anything, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Marco Polo is fun.  It's basically a visual walkie talkie.  K and I use it when texting is too hard, but can't really make a phone call either.

Work is snowing me.  I don't really have anything else.  i'm boring.  :)
  • @VarunaTT - YES!  Marco Polo is so much fun.  And my brother & I mock my mom in the helium voice.  Only, yesterday, I think my nephew accidentally turned it on (or something) because I heard my sister & BIL talking and all I could see was the ceiling.  Some of their conversation got, um, interesting.  I called my aunt (who also is in our group) laughing hysterically.  We couldn't decide who was going to call my sister and let her know that we could hear her & her husband flirting.  
  • I love Marco Polo! My sister and I use it all the time. It's great because I get to see video of the baby without taking up too much storage on my phone. 

Busy day; I'm testifying in front of the NY state Bureau of Labor tomorrow for the nonprofit, so I'm finishing that up. Manipulative me wants to use this as a bargaining chip to have my supervisor and CEO finally settle this work hours thing. 

Super exhausted because I had to give the cat two baths last night. H bought new flea & tick medicine (I normally do it) and it had a terrible chemical smell and after I put it on her I got really nervous so I read the reviews online (kicking myself for not doing it before hand) and they're horrible. Seriously terrible things happened to pets. So I washed her twice and slept on the couch to make sure she was okay. I'm going to take my lunch hour to run home and check on her again. 
  • @cupcait927 yep I'm in compliance, so I have a busy season in spring with filings due and then when ACA reporting (1095s) are due. But the rest of the office is slammed right now like you are as about 3/4 of the office are account type positions (some are in the office and others are out at the client meetings, doing OE presentations, etc). I hope your company does some nice things to try to support you doing this time to lessen the blow of being busy.
  • @charlotte989875 what brand was it? Aurora got sick after I used revolution and I've never used it again. I use advantage now. 

All I want to do is veg today, but I have too much to do. Yesterday was in the top three grossest days I've ever had for work, and it was also really busy, so I'm having a hard time talking myself out of bed. Plus last night I woke up at one and couldn't go back to sleep until three. Ugh. 

SO is going to the Lakers game tonight. Since I've been abandoned I'm going to dinner with a friend. Im also keeping an eye on another fire that started nearby. California is on fire. =( 

• levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 what brand was it? Aurora got sick after I used revolution and I've never used it again. I use advantage now. 

All I want to do is veg today, but I have too much to do. Yesterday was in the top three grossest days I've ever had for work, and it was also really busy, so I'm having a hard time talking myself out of bed. Plus last night I woke up at one and couldn't go back to sleep until three. Ugh. 

SO is going to the Lakers game tonight. Since I've been abandoned I'm going to dinner with a friend. Im also keeping an eye on another fire that started nearby. California is on fire. =( 
    It was sargeants brand, H got it from wegmans so he thought it was okay. I'm leaving soon to check on her, H thinks I'm crazy. 
  • I'm here.  This week is dragging ass because it's the week before vacay. 

One of my BFF's had a bad end to her bday yesterday, so I booked us a night in Chicago the Saturday before Thanksgiving.  We will definitely be ready for a little getaway before the holidays and we've been promising each other a girl's weekend since for-ev-er. 

Other than that, SSDD.  It's rainy and I want a nap. 
  • @kvruns We're getting into our busy season at work too (health insurance company..I know, I know). It sucks when everyone else is talking about how things slow down around the holidays and I'm over here just trying to keep up.

And my H got laid off last week (with a severance, and I don't think it should be hard for him to find something else). I work from home, so having him around while I'm working is THE WORST. Hopefully that changes soon.

We're also working on eliminating one of the teams I manage, and OF COURSE those are the staff who are causing the biggest headache. I want to just tell them to quit worrying about it because they'll be doing different work in a few months, but we can't say anything to them yet. So I have to deal with about 15 emails a day from all of them about OMGURGENT things that actually...aren't.

Basically I need a margarita.
  • @ahoywedding sorry to hear about your H's job. What kind of work do you do at the ins co? 
  • Temperature vent.

I just got back from walking across the street to get lunch.  I was outside for about five minutes, each way.  WTF?  It is SO hot!  The sun is just brutal.  Where is my Fall?  It's 91 degrees right now.  It's not dropping back into the low 80s/high 70s until next week.  And that's still too hot for mid-Oct!

Every morning I stare longingly at my heavier sweaters.  And side-eye my still running a/c.  But it is all for naught.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy, want our weather?  64 but cloudy.  I'm OK with it.  Everything is still green here too. VERY minimal color.  Yay on your sheets. I found a nice set on amazon. Bought 2 because one may be in the wash at times.  It's been working out for us.

OK, guys, I downloaded marco polo. I'm going to try to convince the sis, SIL and my bff to send me baby updates!

• @short+sassy, want our weather?  64 but cloudy.  I'm OK with it.  Everything is still green here too. VERY minimal color.  Yay on your sheets. I found a nice set on amazon. Bought 2 because one may be in the wash at times.  It's been working out for us.

OK, guys, I downloaded marco polo. I'm going to try to convince the sis, SIL and my bff to send me baby updates!

Thank you, yes.  I would much prefer your all's weather, lol.  My H, maybe not.  He starts whining that it is too cold when we get into the high 60s/low 70s, smh.

@levioosa, my goodness!  I just saw a crazy picture of Disneyland totally backlit by a fire's glow!  I hope you and yours are not near Anaheim.  Most of my friends and family are further south, but I do have a one friend in Tustin that I'm going to reach out to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @levioosa, my goodness!  I just saw a crazy picture of Disneyland totally backlit by a fire's glow!  I hope you and yours are not near Anaheim.  Most of my friends and family are further south, but I do have a one friend in Tustin that I'm going to reach out to.

I saw those pix too it was crazy. My SIL is in Tustin and the ILs are in Fullerton. I haven't seen SIL post anything as if she is in a danger area although it can't be too far
  • Good morning everyone. I was sadly working yesterday while everyone else was off. Today is reaaaalllly slow at work I might be able to get a jump start at next weeks homework for class. I have a friend up in Anaheim but she said she is safe, her asthma is acting up a bit but other than that she seems okay. I'm more south but it's crazy to know how much of California is on fire, I hate fire season over here. The weekend was good for the most part. I told my FI to go to X petstore for the pup's wet food and he went to Y petstore instead and spent about $5-7 more than he would've at X petstore. Oh well hopefully he realizes I tell him this certain petstore for a reason lol I get updates on sales and they always have her wet food or dry food on sale.
  • Hi strangers.

Finally finished work for the summer.  I have to admit the last few weeks were rough. I had already checked out mentally.   Winter season doesn't start until Dec.

Hiking season is slowing down. I'm pretty sure I'm done with 14ers for the season.  Lots of snow up there now.   I will stick to the lower elevations for now.   Well, until work starts up in Dec, then I will do my 2 mile hike up to work in the snow. 

We just got back from College Station. We went to the Alabama vs A&M game.  Much better game than I expected it would be.   It was nice to hang with our friend from the islands. Also my niece and her roommate came out for the game.  She is a sophomore at AL.     It was good to see her.

One weird thing though.  So our friend's (J) best-friend died last year of cancer.  He left a widow (T) and 3 kids.   J is the goddaughter to the youngest.  She just turned 2 and not even one when her dad died.  J is super close the family, but more specifically his goddaughter.  He visits them at least once a week (they live an hour away).  J only talks about the youngest.    

J and the widow have secretly start a relationship.  Apparently we are the only ones who know.  Which I find hard to believe, because how often he is at her house, others have got to be wondering what's up.

While it's a little weird they started a relationship, whatever it's their lives.  It's hardly unusual for BFs and widow/widowers end up together.

She showed up on Saturday for the game and left Sunday.  Kids were sent to 3 different families (although one kid ended up back at J's houses for the night.    

The weird part is she completely ignored DH and I.   She barely said "hello".  Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to become best buddies, but she never even held a conversation with us.  Not even a "how was your flight down?"  NOTHING.

I did have a conversation with her 8 year old daughter.  Super sweet kid.  Even gave me a hug.  

When she left on Sunday she said "nice meeting you".  I'm thinking "umm, okay".     So weird, right?

Hope all is well.  We cancelled our RV trip.   Decided to stay at home and do things close by.   In 3 weeks we are heading out east anyway.   Between TX and 10 days out east I think it's good to just rest at home.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @kvruns We have a nursing department that provides education to members about chronic illness, surgery, etc etc. Since we're member-facing, we get about 8 billion questions this time of year about things not related to nursing.
  • kvruns said:

@levioosa, my goodness!  I just saw a crazy picture of Disneyland totally backlit by a fire's glow!  I hope you and yours are not near Anaheim.  Most of my friends and family are further south, but I do have a one friend in Tustin that I'm going to reach out to.

I saw those pix too it was crazy. My SIL is in Tustin and the ILs are in Fullerton. I haven't seen SIL post anything as if she is in a danger area although it can't be too far
    If the fire reaches Tustin/Fullerton we have huge problems. Same with our place, even though we're only about ten miles away. SOs sister is right up along the mountains though. They were almost evacuated during the last fire two weeks ago. I think they'll be okay during this one because even if the fire reverses direction it should just run into the already burned area and run out of fuel. It's been really windy here though, and that's complicated things. The fire even jumped the freeway. It's so awful and I'm so sorry for all of the people who have lost their homes. And I'm so sad that more of the forest is burning. We have it lucky compared to Northern CA though. It's horrible up there. Whole neighborhoods are being burned. 

• that made me laugh @ahoywedding And I'm sure the people you talk to want to tell you 57 facts about their illness, their brother's illness, and the chronic condition their 2nd cousin's neighbor's uncle had.

• Temperature vent.

I just got back from walking across the street to get lunch.  I was outside for about five minutes, each way.  WTF?  It is SO hot!  The sun is just brutal.  Where is my Fall?  It's 91 degrees right now.  It's not dropping back into the low 80s/high 70s until next week.  And that's still too hot for mid-Oct!

Every morning I stare longingly at my heavier sweaters.  And side-eye my still running a/c.  But it is all for naught.

Ha!  Boulder, CO has nearly 6 inches of snow with more expected today.

Oh, f@%k!  My eyebrows and pussy hair is gone.  Damn chemo!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • kvruns said:
    that made me laugh @ahoywedding And I'm sure the people you talk to want to tell you 57 facts about their illness, their brother's illness, and the chronic condition their 2nd cousin's neighbor's uncle had.

Oh do they EVER! But then of course they never want to talk about their own issues ;)
  • 6fsn said:
    Not much here.  I started Christmas shopping.  I know I should be embarrassed, but nope.

SIB

No way.  That's super smart!  Also spreads the budget more too!

• 6fsn said:
    Not much here.  I started Christmas shopping.  I know I should be embarrassed, but nope.
    Heck no. Be proud. In December when everyone is freaking out and running around you can sit back with a latte and relax. I'm making my list now so I can start soon too. 

• kvruns said:
    that made me laugh @ahoywedding And I'm sure the people you talk to want to tell you 57 facts about their illness, their brother's illness, and the chronic condition their 2nd cousin's neighbor's uncle had.

Oh do they EVER! But then of course they never want to talk about their own issues ;)
    I had the unfortunate task of talking to Medicare folks as part of a project for a client a few years ago - I was a one-woman call center and it was AWFUL. I think I learned more about everyone's ailments and each call was like 20 min. Nevermind I'm not normally a customer-facing person let alone someone on the phone all day.