Chit Chat

Is there an expiration time for a honeymoon?

Would it be weird or unethical to call an upcoming vacation our honeymoon?
 It is over a year since we've been married ( 583 days).  This will be our first vacation  without our kids  since we've been married. The hotel asked if it was a special occasion and I thought yes!  Our first vacation in years and now we're officially married, settled, and  now were able to get away for a couple of days. It's a special occasion for us but is it really a honeymoon? has that ship sailed? 

Re: Is there an expiration time for a honeymoon?

• I'd call it a honeymoon, why not? 
  • DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2017
    I'd call it a honeymoon, why not? 

That's what wedding bee said when I googled the question. I wanted to ask here just to be sure.  Wedding Bee isn't reliable for a  right answer from what I've read on these boards. 

edited to quote. 
  • DarthV8r said:
    Would it be weird or unethical to call an upcoming vacation our honeymoon?
     It is over a year since we've been married ( 583 days).  This will be our first vacation  without our kids  since we've been married. The hotel asked if it was a special occasion and I thought yes!  Our first vacation in years and now we're officially married, settled, and  now were able to get away for a couple of days. It's a special occasion for us but is it really a honeymoon? has that ship sailed? 

is it a special occasion?   YES.  It's an awesome vacation for just you and DH to get away and unwind.

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2017
    lyndausvi said:
    Personally, I think the ship has past after a year or so.  

Then again, I don't know why vacations always seem to have labels involved.  Honeymoon, babymoon, blah, blah.   Because "we fucking want to go away" should be a good enough reason.

yeah, unless there's a free bottle of champagne involved?

Our travel agent put in a free bottle of Champagne in our stateroom for our honeymoon.  But it was only 2 months after we got married, we just had to wait for the fiscal year to roll over to use holidays!

• First, saying your wedding was 583 days ago is like saying your 1.5 year old is 583 days old. No. Please translate.

Second, I'm on the fence. If you're settled into your married life, the "honeymoon" is over. But at the same time, if you never took a honeymoon trip, sure why not? 

In general though, if you have to ask a forum if you should do something because you think you shouldn't, you probably shouldn't. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm kind of on the fence too. If you never took a honeymoon, and that's what you're considering it, then I guess sure say it's that. Otherwise, hey, you're still celebrating either way! First vacation without kids is a big deal! If you're calling it a honeymoon for the "extras," that's maybe the wrong reason.
  • H and I will married 5 years in February, and we're getting a hotel room on our anniversary- it'll be our first kid-free night.  So in my mind "first vacation without kids" doesn't automatically equal "honeymoon".   But do I think it's weird that you and your H are calling this trip your honeymoon?  No.  Call it whatever you want.

As far as unethical, I only think it'd be that way if the airline/hotel etc have a certain number of honeymoon upgrades and a couple truly on a honeymoon loses out because it's went to you.  
  • I'm not sure I understand why you care?

If it's the trip you would have taken for an earlier honeymoon, then sure, it's your honeymoon. Call it that between yourselves all you like, and if you're totally comfortable, tell other people you're going on your honeymoon. It's not a faux pas. It affects no one. Who cares.

But you clearly don't feel comfortable - so if you're worried about whether people will roll their eyes at the label considering it's not exactly a trip as newlyweds, then don't call it a honeymoon to those people. Whether it happened a year and a half ago or now, it's a vacation either way and that would not be an inaccurate term to use.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2017
    We just had a mini-moon: two days in a Kansas City hotel.  (We never left the hotel.)  Our first real romantic vacation together was on our 25th anniversary.  (First cruise to Alaska!)   We called it our delayed honeymoon.  Definitely worth the wait!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Psssh, call it whatever.   We went on our honeymoon on our 1 year anniversary. 
  • Only thing I can think of is some places (I'm thinking AIs) require proof of marriage for some honeymoon upgrades and I remember at least one had to be within a year to qualify. 

If you're just going on a vacation and not trying to get a special upgrade or package then who cares. 
  • First, saying your wedding was 583 days ago is like saying your 1.5 year old is 583 days old. No. Please translate.

Like people who say "my child is 37 months old".  no, your child is 3. 
  • kvruns said:
    First, saying your wedding was 583 days ago is like saying your 1.5 year old is 583 days old. No. Please translate.

Ugh don't make me do calendar math to figure out how old your child is. I know developmental milestones go in months (and weeks!) early on but please convert for my childless brain.
  • kvruns said:
    First, saying your wedding was 583 days ago is like saying your 1.5 year old is 583 days old. No. Please translate.

Right? I feel like the limit for counting in months should end at 24. Like, anything past that and just..... please. Your kid is 2, or "just shy of/over 2.5" or "almost 3 and so on.  No one* gives a shit exactly how many months old after a certain point.

(*except you and maybe your daycare)
    *********************************************************************************

• kvruns said:

Right? I feel like the limit for counting in months should end at 24. Like, anything past that and just..... please. Your kid is 2, or "just shy of/over 2.5" or "almost 3 and so on.  No one* gives a shit exactly how many months old after a certain point.

(*except you and maybe your daycare)
    agreed!  I stopped counting weeks when he hit 12 weeks, then it was on to months. I figure once he is 2 the months counting is over (and it might be over even before - I kind of feel like 18 months is the last one and that is just because it is a clothing size haha)

Second, I'm on the fence. If you're settled into your married life, the "honeymoon" is over. But at the same time, if you never took a honeymoon trip, sure why not? 

In general though, if you have to ask a forum if you should do something because you think you shouldn't, you probably shouldn't. 

::STIB::

I didn't actually count how many days I've been married.   It says on my dashboard. I was lazy and didn't want to count how many months. It's been 1 year and 7 months since we've been married.  I thought it was better to be specific  than to to say "I've been married over a year." I'm sorry I made it harder for you to understand.  In the future I understand not to be so thorough. 

To your third point, you are right. I shouldn't  have asked but I was curious how everyone else felt . 

Thanks for the discussion  knotties. I loved it. 
  • Honestly, I would say no expiration date.
    My parents didn't get a honeymoon after they got married, and when they finally did a trip just them they were married almost 13 years. They jokingly called it their belated honeymoon.
  • I feel like you can say, "We never took a big honeymoon so we're doing our big vacation now," but that doesn't really make it a honeymoon.