Wedding Woes

I feel like there is more to the story...

Dear Prudence,
A few years ago, I took a job across the country where my large, wealthy extended family lives. I spoke to these people weekly and spent my summers during college in their guest rooms (at their invitation) so I considered us close. I fell for a housing scam trying to rent remotely and had nowhere to stay. Not one of my grandparents, aunts, uncle, or cousins would let me stay on their couch for even a few nights. I ended up getting arrested after sleeping in my car for a week, and was fired after missing work due to being in jail. My car was impounded, so I had to check into a homeless shelter. During this time, my family kind of ghosted me.

It took me years to recover, but I’m doing great now. When I stopped being homeless my family just appeared back in my life like nothing ever happened. I had always been a conscientious houseguest, and I’ve never had any kind of substance or emotional problems. I’ve asked a few of them why no one helped me and mostly gotten excuses like, “We were so busy planning a wedding at the time,” or “We just didn’t want to get involved.” I don’t really want to fake my way through the holidays this year—or ever again, for that matter—but I really don’t want to have to call each individual to let them know I don’t think they’re much of a family. Would it be fair to ghost them right back?

—Family Ghosted Me

Re: I feel like there is more to the story...

• Yeah - something isn't really adding up here.

Why couldn't the LW find an apartment somewhere?   

The playing deck is a few cards short here. 
  • I think there are a few pages missing from our playbook here. 

Maybe LW's family really are as shallow as they sound here and if that's the case good riddance. But the evasive answers and the fact that LW stayed there in the past, but suddenly wound up homeless and in jail (for a week!) makes me think something else is going on here. 
  • Ugh, rental housing scams are on the rise.  It's really awful and an occasional topic of discussion on my Real Estate Investing board.  So, that part of the story, I believe.

What I'm finding really fishy with the rest of you is that apparently he stayed with some of these people in his college years during the summer.  That is a long period of time.  I can't help but think he was not a pleasant house guest and so the invitation, even for a few nights, was not going to be repeated.

Or maybe they were worried he was going to set up camp on their couch and never leave.   A couch surfer for a few nights sounds harmless but, from a legal perspective, it can actually get very tricky if they refuse to leave.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm questioning how you get arrested for sleeping in your car - even if you're in a city/state where it's illegal, I would assume that the worst you would get is a citation/ticket. 
  • I also find it hard to believe that someone would be arrested, thrown in jail and had their car impounded JUST for sleeping in the car. This doesn't add up. 
  • I also find it hard to believe that someone would be arrested, thrown in jail and had their car impounded JUST for sleeping in the car. This doesn't add up. 
    Agreed. And I say this as a former journalist who read every single daily police beat for more than two years. I saw warnings, even a couple tickets.  But no one arrested. Now maybe if they'd been warned five or six times. But I find it hard to believe that many warnings would happen in a week because people move around, try to find discreet places, etc.