Wedding Woes

Don't feel responsible for his behavior. Oh, and block his ass.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited October 2017 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,
“Trevor,” the husband of my friend “Emily,” recently passed in a very dramatic manner. He was a hoarder of expensive electronics. He hadn’t updated his will or life insurance policy to reflect his wife as beneficiary. Emily is entitled to the possessions within their house, with the rest going to Trevor’s estate. Trevor left the house in disarray, so we had to sort through the mess for valuables. Being short on time (and hands), I called an ex-boyfriend with whom I’ve remained friendly to help. Emily told the ex he could take one of the large (valuable) television sets if he helped. On both days my ex showed up late, wasn’t much help, and asked for nearly everything he saw, which was mortifying. The first day he left with four valuable Bluetooth headsets, a Bose Bluetooth speaker, and Xbox controllers. The second day he left with $250 cash and camping supplies.

Throughout the whole ordeal, he pestered us about which television he was getting. Fed up, Emily told him he wasn’t getting one because he had already been compensated fairly. Having loaded the final truck alone, I agreed with Emily. When my ex and I were alone in the cab of the truck, he yelled at me until I broke down in tears. I still have not heard the end of it.

I understand he’s an ex for a reason, and shame on me for bringing him around (I was completely caught off guard by his greed). But he still thinks we owe him the amount of money he could make from selling a television. How should you compensate “friends” for helping move? And while we are at it, how can I be better at picking men?

—Still Stunned

Re: Don't feel responsible for his behavior. Oh, and block his ass.

• Stop talking to him.   Block him and don't entertain the discussion.

You don't compensate friends for helping you move outside of any offer up front, "Hey, I'm moving and I'll throw in pizza and beer for the free hands." 

Frankly, once you reach an age in life when that's not enough it's time to hire people.  

As for picking men, girlfriend needs to be more self-aware and self assured.   Don't let yourself be insulted or berated by someone who is clearly a user.  
  • You, and Emily, owe him nothing. Block his number and don’t call him again. 
  • Who is the beneficiary if not his wife?  This is so weird...

• In addition to cutting this loser out of her life and blocking his number, she should also apologize to her friend for her bad judgment in recommending the ex.  Though I suspect she already has.  No, it really isn't her fault.  But I'd feel compelled to do that if I recommended someone and they were awful.

I'm also curious about the $250 cash he took.  Like, did he literally steal that from somewhere?  Or did the friend give him that with the camping supplies, after she told him she wasn't giving him one of the tvs?  I was confused by the order of how things happened.

Let's not forget the friend is a recent widow.  The level of greed some people have is just appalling.

------------------------------------------------------------

On a funnier, but equally outrageous note, this story reminded me of a previous tenant I had.  They rented the other side of my duplex.  They were a horrible mistake, almost from the beginning.  "Woe is me" attitude, always having self-made calamities about cash.  At the time, the husband tenant wasn't working because they had just moved to the area and he hadn't found a job yet.  Of course, it helps when one looks, but I digress.

My H and I were hot and heavy in the beginning of a renovation at another property.  This tenant had supposedly previously worked in construction.  I asked him if he'd be open to doing some work over there.  I admit, I did imply there was a decent bit of work left.  But also used phrases like, "if it works out".  I was very specific that we would pay him BY THE DAY and would initially credit them the amount the security deposit was short.  Then, after that, we could either pay him in cash, credit to their rent, or combo.  We agreed on $100/day.  In fact, he initially told me he wanted $60/day and I told him no.  Nobody works a whole day in a physically demanding job for less than $100/day at my jobsite.  Ugh, I am way too moral sometimes, lol.

In a nutshell, he went out for one day.  He sucked.  We didn't tell him he sucked, we just never invited him back to the jobsite.  To be fair, he wasn't lazy.  He was an okay worker, in that respect.  But he was extremely slow and not worth anywhere near the $100/day I would have paid him.  I did give them a signed note for their records that I was crediting their security deposit another $100 for his work on that day.

Rent's due a couple weeks later.  They are late again.  I was naïve back then and didn't put a 5 Day Pay or Quit notice on their door.  Instead, I put a note in their mailbox that their rent was 5 days late and asked for a status.  He knocks on my door to discuss it.  He first regales me with their usual excuses and false promises.  But then, he actually has the GALL to say something like, "Well, and I mean, aren't we getting some kind of a discount on the rent because I'm working for you guys?"

I gave him the biggest side-eye ever and looked at him like he had grown a second head!!!  I replied, "You were only going to be paid for days you worked there.  You only worked there one day and we credited the security deposit.  Unfortunately, it didn't work to have you there for any other days.  So, no, of course there isn't a discount on your rent.  I know you know, you weren't getting a rent credit.  Though, speaking of monies owed, we've already discussed the past-due rent.  When are you all making up the $200 of the security deposit that you are still short?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Umm, why'd they let him take all that stuff in the first place? 

Him: I want the speakers, the headphones, the camping gear, and the kitchen sink. 

LW: Our agreement was you get one TV, remember? Now come, help me carry this box out. 
    That’s exactly what I was thinking.  Did LW leave out the part where he physically threatened them into saying yes to everything??  LW’s friend was a recent widow and wasn’t as close to the ex as she was, so she gets a pass.  But LWs letter should really just be “How do I learn to tell people “no”, Prudie?”.   :*
  • Umm, why'd they let him take all that stuff in the first place? 

Him: I want the speakers, the headphones, the camping gear, and the kitchen sink. 

LW: Our agreement was you get one TV, remember? Now come, help me carry this box out. 
    Well, LW sounds spinless and her friend is suddenly, unexpectedly a widow and probably overwhelmed. 

The only thing I will put on LW is that she didn't show dumbass ex the door the minute he started trying to pick over her friend's dead husband's stuff.  Hopefully, LW's friend doesn't get too mad at her for inviting this fuckery in and not taking care of it once he decided to be a greedy asshole.