Honeymoon Discussions

Northern Lights in Norway?

Has anyone had their honeymoon in Norway to see the Northern Lights? I'll be talking with a travel agent for tips about where to stay and what adventures to book, but if anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Re: Northern Lights in Norway?

• Has anyone had their honeymoon in Norway to see the Northern Lights? I'll be talking with a travel agent for tips about where to stay and what adventures to book, but if anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it!
    Before you think about traveling to Norway for a honeymoon, I would arrange to properly host your wedding. Then see what kind of cash you have leftover for a honeymoon. Since you are from Cali and living in Florida, and likely lacking in appropriate gear, this trip will be particularly expensive for you as decent cold-weather gear is really expensive. 

But yes, the northern lights are visible in Norway from October-March. To see the northern lights, you need to get away from cities and anywhere with light pollution. It also needs to be relatively cloudless, so October and March-ish are often better than deep winter (December/January).
    All of this.

• Thanks! That's perfect because we were thinking early March. We're more concerned with the honeymoon as is- neither of us are really looking forward to the wedding itself, it just sounds like a hassle. But both of us have quite the stockpile of winter clothes from previous family vacations, so that won't be an issue.
  • Thanks! That's perfect because we were thinking early March. We're more concerned with the honeymoon as is- neither of us are really looking forward to the wedding itself, it just sounds like a hassle. But both of us have quite the stockpile of winter clothes from previous family vacations, so that won't be an issue.
    You could save a lot of hassle by just getting married at the JOP and skipping the Vegas destination wedding...
  • Don't have the Vegas wedding. Go down to town hall, get married, and go to Norway. 

The Northern Lights is on my bucket list. The resort I'm looking to stay at is Kakslauttanen. It's actually in Finland. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    We cruised up the coast of Norway two years ago in October and were lucky to see the Northern Lights.  They are variable, and depend on sunspot activity and weather.  Some people spent a lot of money on "Northern Lights" excursions on a rainy day and saw nothing.  Several days later, the weather cooperated, and everyone on the ship saw a beautiful display.  The cruise line learned their lesson, and never offered a "Northern Lights Cruise" again.

I agree with everyone about your wedding.  Just have a simple ceremony in California.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I haven't read the other post yet, so I'll not comment other than listen to PP's.  

We haven't been to Norway, but I live where I can regularly see the Northern Lights (woo Canada!!) and while I encourage you to plan a HM with the hopes of seeing them, please don't plan your entire trip around specifically this.  The ability to see them is based on a bunch of sciencey/space stuff and even on nights where we have all the right conditions to see them, they still may not appear.  If you go expecting to see them and you don't you may end up disappointed with the trip overall.  Go on the trip you want to take and hope to see them as a bonus.  The further north you can go, the better your chances too

• I haven't read the other post yet, so I'll not comment other than listen to PP's.  

We haven't been to Norway, but I live where I can regularly see the Northern Lights (woo Canada!!) and while I encourage you to plan a HM with the hopes of seeing them, please don't plan your entire trip around specifically this.  The ability to see them is based on a bunch of sciencey/space stuff and even on nights where we have all the right conditions to see them, they still may not appear.  If you go expecting to see them and you don't you may end up disappointed with the trip overall.  Go on the trip you want to take and hope to see them as a bonus.  The further north you can go, the better your chances too
    Wow,the picture is so wonderful. I also wanna be there for our honeymoon. B)
  • I haven’t been to Norway but we saw them inIceland and had an amazing vacation all around.
  • If you want to see Northern Lights, go to Fairbanks, Alaska.  Much cheaper than Norway, and they have some nice resorts.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Alaska, northern Canada (White Horse, Yellowknife, northern BC and Alberta) and Iceland will also get you the northern lights.
  • Don't have the Vegas wedding. Go down to town hall, get married, and go to Norway. 

The Northern Lights is on my bucket list. The resort I'm looking to stay at is Kakslauttanen. It's actually in Finland. 
    @climbingwife DH and i are planning that one too!!! with the dome hotels?  It's more for him than me.  2019 is our goal.

@climbingwife DH and i are planning that one too!!! with the dome hotels?  It's more for him than me.  2019 is our goal.
    @CharmedPam that is awesome!!! I was thinking either 2019 or 2020. 
  • Late to the game. I did this earlier this year and just this month in Norway AND Fairbanks, Alaska. In Norway, you can check out the Hurtigruten cruise. You can hop on anywhere along their route and depart anywhere. I recommend Tromso for the lights. But, you can hop on in Bergen and head up to Tromso or you can start in Tromso and make your way down. Or you can do land only. Thon hotels, as well as Scandic or Radisson Blu, are decent quality and priced well. Norwegian Air Shuttle flights are cheap!

In Fairbanks, I recommend Chena Hot Springs. I usually stay in downtown Fairbanks (a work thing), but Chena has a lodge. I personally feel there is more to see/do in Norway than Fairbanks. You can't really get into some of the gorgeous national park areas in March. While Norway is super expensive once you are there, I feel like getting to Alaska can be just as expensive, especially if you can fly Norwegian Air to Oslo.