Moms and Maids

Mother of Bride Dress??

Any ideas on what dress for the mother of the bride or how to pick one? I don't want my mom to be in a dress that looks more like "grandma of the bride" and I want her to be comfortable too. She doesn't like form fitting dresses like the trumpet/mermaid styles so not sure what route to go with her. Thanks!

Re: Mother of Bride Dress??

• edited August 2017
    Any ideas on what dress for the mother of the bride or how to pick one? I don't want my mom to be in a dress that looks more like "grandma of the bride" and I want her to be comfortable too. She doesn't like form fitting dresses like the trumpet/mermaid styles so not sure what route  to go with her. Thanks!
     My mom found hers at Nordstrom, I believe.  She also didn't want a dress that screamed "Mother of the Bride".  Hers was a deep blue and had a bolero.  It was really cute and got a lot of compliments.  

ETA - My mom also bought hers online, but it was mostly due to the fact that they live out in the country and aren't within an hour of a store that would carry a dress she'd want.  I told her that the dress choice was totally hers.  She still wanted to FaceTime with me so I could let her know how they looked.  She liked the ability to try them on at home and see how they'd look with certain accessories.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My mom wore a dress from Neiman Marcus to my wedding and one from Lord & Tatkor to my sister's.  "Mother of the bride" sections of bridal shops didn't have the style she liked (sleek evening gown).
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2017
    Hey, I bought my MOB dress on Ebay.  I paid more to have it altered to fit than I actually spent for the dress.  I still love that dress, and have worn it since the wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you all! For clarification, I don't want to dictate what my mother wears, but she is at a loss for what she wants to wear so I wanted to see what was typical.
  • There is nothing "typical".  At evening weddings, I see MOBs in long evening gowns or cocktail dresses.  At afternoon weddings, a suit or dress.  The only thing that really distinguishes them from other guests is their special corsage.

If you have set a formal evening wedding, them Mom needs to shop for a cocktail or evening dress.  Major department stores are a good start.  If you are having a daytime wedding, them Mom probably would wear a suit or dress, like in more formal churches.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Whatever she wears will be a 'mother of the bride dress' (or not a dress at all, if she prefers pants!) because she is the MOB. Tell her to please not stress and just wear something she feels beautiful in.
  • I will disagree a bit with @CMGragain. I wore a cocktail dress to DD's mid afternoon wedding. A lot of the guests did too. The reception went until 11:00 and I was more comfortable wearing a dress I could dance in rather than a suit or church type dress. I think the most important thing is that your mother is comfortable with what she wears.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2017
    I will disagree a bit with @CMGragain. I wore a cocktail dress to DD's mid afternoon wedding. A lot of the guests did too. The reception went until 11:00 and I was more comfortable wearing a dress I could dance in rather than a suit or church type dress. I think the most important thing is that your mother is comfortable with what she wears.
    I should have clarified more carefully.  Daughter had a late morning ceremony followed by a brunch reception.  This was a time for suits and dresses.  A mid-afternoon cake and punch wedding would also.  I do agree that a later afternoon ceremony (4:00PM or later) would call for more cocktail type dresses since there would be dancing. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • its_ms_m said:
    Thank you all! For clarification, I don't want to dictate what my mother wears, but she is at a loss for what she wants to wear so I wanted to see what was typical.

If the two of you live near each other, you all could go shopping together for her dress/suit.  Make a fun day of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have her choose what she wants to wear!  The only "rule of thumb" is that it not be a bridal gown - js...  Time was that the MOB dresses looked more like GMOB dresses, now pretty much the MOB dress can run the spectrum of a dressy outfit she loves to formalwear.  The dress I'm wearing on Saturday is technically listed as a MOB dress where I ordered it from and I consider it simply a knee-length formal.  The important thing is that she chooses something to wear that she feels comfortable and confident wearing.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Same goes for the shoes - especially the shoes!
  • My mum and I went shopping at a Vintage pop up shop. The dress is beautiful and she can wear it again if she wants :)
  • edited August 2017
    I just went through this with my mom! She found one she LOVED at Lord&Taylor. Check there, Macy's, Sears, JCPenny's first. You'll be surprised what you find! My mom's is Navy blue with a bit of sparkle, cap sleeves, A-line, looks super comfy. We shopped around a LOT. But we made those trips into shopping "days", so it was more fun. Just us. We went to David's Bridal first, then some small bridal boutiques in our area...then got the idea, Hey! Maybe the mall stores would have what we're looking for! And voila! Lord&Taylor. The entire time she kept asking me what I liked, what I wanted her in (and to be honest, I didn't like the frumpy ones on her at all, and also I was praying like mad that she wouldn't pick a pant-suit)...but every time she asked I told her whatever she wanted, and whatever she was comfortable in. My mom doesn't wear a lot of dresses (like ever) so this was a big step for her. <3 You want your mom to to happy and comfy, and not out of sorts on your big day!! 
  • My mom and I went to a lot of different department stores (most of the ones already mentioned) and a few local boutique shops until she found one she liked. The first time we went MOB dress shopping my FMIL came with us because she want to match the formality of what my mom is wearing. We made a fun day of shopping and lunch in St. Louis. 
  • My mom and I went to a lot of different department stores (most of the ones already mentioned) and a few local boutique shops until she found one she liked. The first time we went MOB dress shopping my FMIL came with us because she want to match the formality of what my mom is wearing. We made a fun day of shopping and lunch in St. Louis. 
    Sounds like a lovely day :)
  • My mom ordered a bunch of dresses online to see what styles she liked, and what colors looked good. She was initially hung up on the fact that most MOB dresses she had seen had that short "jacket" type thing and she didn't like that. I convinced her it was more important she be comfortable.

She ended up going to some kind of formal dress store (not a bridal shop but something similar?) and got some great style & fit advice from the woman there. She took that information with her to other stores to find a more affordable option. A few of her good friends went with her once she narrowed down the choices down to just a few (I didn't live nearby, otherwise I would have gone with her).
  • Hey, have you got a nice dress for your mom? I'm a bride-to-be. I also have no idea about which shop to choose from. 
  • Hey, have you got a nice dress for your mom? I'm a bride-to-be. I also have no idea about which shop to choose from. 
    Don't be the one to choose. Where does your mom like to shop? What is she comfortable wearing? She can ask for your help if she needs it, but she's also totally allowed to dress herself as she sees fit.
    Don't be the one to choose. Where does your mom like to shop? What is she comfortable wearing? She can ask for your help if she needs it, but she's also totally allowed to dress herself as she sees fit.
    This. I let my mom get her own dress, I wanted her to love what she got just as much as I loved what I was wearing.