Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

When to book hair stylist/makeup artist?

My fiancé and I got engaged a few weeks ago and we set a date for October 20, 2018. Although we did find a ceremony and reception venue that we love, we had a difficult time looking because most places were already booked. We've had no problems thus far with other vendors, but my question is how soon should I start looking into someone to do mine and my bridal party's hair and make-up? My regular hair stylist works alone and she chronically runs very late. I love how she colors my hair so will be using her for that prior to my wedding, but I do not want to rely on her for updos on the day of because I'm afraid she'll run behind. So I'll need to find somewhere different and I am curious as to how far in advance many of you starting looking for a salon or someone to come to your home for your bridal hair and make-up needs.

Thanks!

Re: When to book hair stylist/makeup artist?

• My fiancé and I got engaged a few weeks ago and we set a date for October 20, 2018. Although we did find a ceremony and reception venue that we love, we had a difficult time looking because most places were already booked. We've had no problems thus far with other vendors, but my question is how soon should I start looking into someone to do mine and my bridal party's hair and make-up? My regular hair stylist works alone and she chronically runs very late. I love how she colors my hair so will be using her for that prior to my wedding, but I do not want to rely on her for updos on the day of because I'm afraid she'll run behind. So I'll need to find somewhere different and I am curious as to how far in advance many of you starting looking for a salon or someone to come to your home for your bridal hair and make-up needs.

Thanks!

We got married in July and the salon I used (not my usual) wouldn't even take the booking until January of that same year. 

It doesn't hurt to start looking now, but don't expect them to have their 2018 calendars up yet. 
    *********************************************************************************

• ernursejernursej member
    First Answer First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    I went with a mobile service and inquired about 10 months out. They booked me in officially 8 months out. 

If you are asking for your maids to have hair and makeup done, you need to pay for it. You may want to wait until you ask your bridal party members (about 9 months away or less) and then decide if you would like to pay for everything or just offer out stylist availability if someone wants that option. 

Edit it for additional paragraph 
  • Yeah, i think you may book at the moment.
  • I found the guidelines on the Knot to be helpful for what to priorities to focus on first. However, the one benefit to planning everything out early and at a slow pace is that you can start paying for bits of the wedding ahead of time and not be left with a giant bill at the end :) 
  • I got married in May and I booked officially in January or February I think? I did use my regular salon and stylist and did a trial when she last colored my hair two weeks or so before. I had it done at the salon (she didn't come to me since it was her regular day to work), which was cheaper than if I booked her all day.