Wedding Woes

Storage/organization- makeup, Hair, jewelry

I don ta have a lot but this stuff is just in bags or a too small jewelry box. Anyone have something they love or a trick for storage?  

Makeup is really some powders, mascara, eye shadows and brushes. 

Jewelry is nothing major but but I have some statement necklaces and bracelets that don't fit normal stuff. 

Re: Storage/organization- makeup, Hair, jewelry

• i keep the makeup that i use on a regular basis in a makeup bag and a makeup storage case. (similar to below). The rest I have in those little plastic shoeboxes, stored in the bathroom and my dresser. 

For jewelry, i really want one of those jewelry armoires, but I need something that will work with the bedroom furniture, and is mobile enough to lock up while we're travelling. (It's that, or put everything in the safe, which is a hassle.) I haven't found what I wanted yet. 
    Could you get some necklace boxes, and store the statement necklaces in a drawer? For now, I do that, or keep them in a jewelry organizer that inhibits tarnishing (for my silver pieces).  
  • Bear with my craziness.  For smaller items, especially smaller costume jewelry items, I use a "nuts and bolts" box.  Like you'd find hanging out in your garage.  The whole thing is only about 1'x1'...though they come in a variety of sizes...but is made up of a lot of small drawers.

I realize this is larger purchase than you might be thinking, but my medicine cabinet looks similar to this, except it has a mirror on the cabinet doors.  Three good sized matching baskets fit on the shelf.  That is where my most often used make-up goes:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay-23-in-W-x-28-in-H-x-6-1-2-in-D-Bathroom-Storage-Wall-Cabinet-with-Shelf-in-White-TTDM-WH/100576218

I also have a jewelry armoire and one of those full length mirrors that opens to find a "surprise" storage area for jewelry.

In general, I'm a big fan of various sized bins to just throw stuff like that in and/or pretty decorative boxes.

For another weird storage item, but it's perfect for my hair stuff.  I use a small hat box. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really like my jewelry mirror--I installed wee tiny led tap lights inside it too.
    Like this, but, uh, mine was from meijer, so cheaper.
    http://www.ross-simons.com/products/522594.html?sku=GWEJ522594CH&utm_source=GMC&utm_medium=Feeds&utm_campaign=PMD_Retargeting&cm_mmc=gPLA-_-GMC-_-PmDigital-_-Null&gclid=CjwKCAjwj8bPBRBiEiwASlFLFeZX0hI2NLFdHl2PlAZvJ8KllZ4b5QuNfL8IVo_xRuzHRJpemP-54RoC9dIQAvD_BwE

And I bought it on black friday for myself for like $50
    And the few odds and ends that don't fit go in other boxes.

I need a home for makeup though.

• *Barbie* said:
    i keep the makeup that i use on a regular basis in a makeup bag and a makeup storage case. (similar to below). The rest I have in those little plastic shoeboxes, stored in the bathroom and my dresser. 

For jewelry, i really want one of those jewelry armoires, but I need something that will work with the bedroom furniture, and is mobile enough to lock up while we're travelling. (It's that, or put everything in the safe, which is a hassle.) I haven't found what I wanted yet. 
    Could you get some necklace boxes, and store the statement necklaces in a drawer? For now, I do that, or keep them in a jewelry organizer that inhibits tarnishing (for my silver pieces).  

My jewelry armoire is large enough and solid wood to look like a nice, small piece of furniture.  It's also on a matching wood stand.  But it is obviously a jewelry armoire, for anyone who has ever seen one.

My house got broken into just a couple weeks after I moved in.  But here was at least the part that made me chuckle, even in that very sad time.

I also have a typical jewelry box that sits on top of the armoire.  The robbers took that little jewelry box.  Upended it on my bed.  Sifted through it and took what they wanted.  I'm actually not even sure they took anything.  That's where I keep more the jewelry I still cart around from childhood and high school.

My good stuff is in the armoire.  Which wasn't even touched.  I'm sure those probably drugged out, uneducated morons had no idea it was really just a big jewelry box.  LMAO.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like what @*Barbie* suggested and for years I had something similar, however I found it was more of a nightmare going through it daily and often things didn't fit.

I relatively recently got basically a letter holder. It has two large slots at the back - I put palettes in there - and 3 small squares in the front - I put small palettes and powders there.
    Lip product I use a cleaned 3 wick candle jar from B&BW.
    Brushes and daily things {daily = concealer, eyeliner, mascara, etc} are in small jars {think small mason jar - small/medium candle from B&BW could suffice}

I would like to say my makeup area is super organized, and in theory it could be, but I also am super lazy with tidying lmfao

Jewelry could also be used in same jars, but I'm not a huge jewelry person so that part I'm stumped :P 
  • I don't have that much makeup, so I use a short vase for brushes on the counter top.  And I keep my makeup in a desk drawer organizer in a bathroom drawer:

https://smile.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Drawer-Director-Plastic-11906ROS/dp/B00006IA5D/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509039591&sr=8-5&keywords=drawer+organizer

Creams, lotions, cleansers, toner, etc. are in the medicine cabinet.

• I have a medium size bag of 'go to' stuff that I use frequently.  I have an urban decay palette that stays in its box and I sit my 'every day' make-up bag on top of it under the sink.  I have a larger bag that I also keep under the sink for my less used items. 

All daily maintenance things like wipes and lotion stay in the medicine cabinet.  Face wash and face scrub are in the shower. 
  • I don't have enough makeup for the Barbie case, but I like the idea of a little drawer organizer and jar for the brushes.  

I also really like the jewelry organizer from GBCK.  I don't have a full length mirror so it could do double duty too.

I really don't have much hair or hair shit so I probably should just toss it.
  • This is my current system. 

I especially appreciate the cup of coffee in the corner to jumpstart the morning, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I especially appreciate the cup of coffee in the corner to jumpstart the morning, lol.
    It’s the key to keeping the system functioning. 
  • I use a Rubbermaid 5 drawer clear tower for makeup.  The foot print is less than the size of a pice of paper and less than 12 inches high. 

I use ziplocks for jewelry. Each item is in its own zip and then like items are put together in another zip. I then put all my zips in a large Tupperware container in a drawer in my wardrobe. I like the zip system as I can see everything without opening, keeps things clean and not tangled and sets together. 
    mine looked a lot like this until recently. that's why i bought the plastic shoe boxes. 
    then again after this weekend, it's looking more like yours again. 
  • I have THIS in white. It's seriously one of the best purchases I've ever made. Won't do anything for your make-up but really nice for casual jewelry storage. For nicer stuff that I'm rarely wear, we have a gun safe in our basement. 
    *********************************************************************************