Registry and Gift Forum

Groom's Gift

Hi all, 

I am planning to get my guy a watch for a wedding day gift (along with a couple other surprises). He wears a FitBit most every day but I want him to have something nice when we go out or for more formal occasions. I have it narrowed down to 3 but I can't decide- help please! I need to get this ordered ASAP because our wedding is in 10 days! :smile:

Here are the options: 

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/fossil-minimalist-bracelet-watch-44mm/4630812?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK/ ROSE GOLD

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chrono-bracelet-watch/4325976?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=GOLD/ BLACK

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/1389236/emporio-armani-mens-polished-stainless-steel-watch?color=SILVER

Thanks so much for your feedback in advance! 

Best, 
Emily 

Re: Groom's Gift

• So, not to throw a wrench in your plan here - and it is a really nice gift idea, but I think this is really a "know your guy" thing. The Emporio Armani is very timeless in design and the Fossil is more modern. However, if your guy is anything like my guy, he is really going to get jazzed up about a watch - or not - based on its "heft." If it feels lightweight, my H is not going to like it as much as a watch that has a decent amount of heft to it. Can you go to your local Nordstrom and feel each of them in person?
  • How are we supposed to help pick out a watch for a stranger? This is really all about personal style. 
  • Is his style more fancy; if so go with the Armani, but if it's not I'd go with the Fossil. The MVMT doesn't do much for me (although I do like a lot of their other designs) and it's pretty "flashy" so that would definitely have to be his style if that's what you pick. 

I gave my H a watch a few years ago; researched it, picked out one I thought he'd like, and he exchanged it for a different band. Oh well, he still wears it and he's happy. 
  •  I don't think the black one is very formal.

So if the purpose is formal, I think this is just a preference between gold and silver/stainless. Check out his cufflinks and tie clasps and go with whichever finish he has more of. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm going to echo the others.   What metal is your FI a fan of?   That's not necessarily what his band may be but what other tones does he seem to favor? 

My H wouldn't wear a gold watch so when I look for him I often go to silver toned metals.  Something like this would be my H's style: 

https://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNE361-Analog-Display-Japanese/dp/B00LRY60N4/ref=sr_1_9?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1510176458&sr=1-9&nodeID=6358540011&psd=1&keywords=seiko+watches+for+men&refinements=p_89:Seiko+Watches,p_36:2661615011  

Also, how large of a face would he want?   Keep in mind that a lot of styles may have larger cases but you don't want to overdo that if it's not his style or he prefers something smaller.
  • What metals or colours does he usually wear?

Does he like heavy or slim watches? Large faces or not?

The black watch is fairly modern. It's not super fancy, but he could probably still wear it out to nicer restaurants and such, maybe not so much with a suit.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the gold watch. Too much contrast between the gold and black face for me. But I'm not wearing it. Does your FI like gold?

I like the silver watch best, fairly classic, dress up or down, but it looks like it has a large face, will your FI like that?

I've bought DH two watches over the years. He likes watches in general, so it's something that's a little easier to buy. I bought one to be worn as a dress up watch and the other is more casual, but with both I matched them to an outfit or two DH owns (the dress watch I matched to his favourite suit and dress shoes, the casual watch with what his usual colours are). Think, "If I bought this watch, what would FI wear it with?".
  • I like the stainless steel on best for formal. Will your fi be wearing a wedding ring? You could match it to that.

• What kind of Fitbit does he have? If it's one of the ones with a clock, you can get him a really nice leather strap to make things more fancy lol. I have a Fitbit charge 2 and the leather strap was only $70