Wedding Etiquette Forum

This may be a repeat topic...

I feel like I've asked this before, but I don't know how to get to my previous discussions. Anyway, my mom wants to be named on the invite. She, FI, and I are paying for the wedding. My parents are divorced, and my dad is not contributing. How do I word my invites?

Re: This may be a repeat topic...

• ellamber said:
    I feel like I've asked this before, but I don't know how to get to my previous discussions. Anyway, my mom wants to be named on the invite. She, FI, and I are paying for the wedding. My parents are divorced, and my dad is not contributing. How do I word my invites?
    Who is hosting the wedding? As in, who is receiving the RSVPs, inviting people to the event, serving as the contact for all questions, etc.? That's who should go on the invite; not who is, or is not, paying. So if you and your FI are the ones hosting you should be the ones inviting people, not your mother.

@CMGragain is the best with wording, so she can/should correct me if I'm wrong. 
  • edited November 2017
    ellamber, if you click on your screen name, you will be able to find all your posts.

There is a sticky and discussion at the top of the Invites and Paper board that details invitation wording for various situations.

• ellamber, if you click on your screen name, you will be able to find all your posts.

There is a sticky and discussion at the top of the Invites and Paper board that details invitation wording for various situations.

Oh Perfect! thanks!
  • @ellamber you can tick the star at the top of any threads you want to follow.

• ellamber said:

Who's paying is not relevant. If your mother is hosting, then by all means name her. If she's not, then she shouldn't be named.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    Hosted by someone else:       

Host Name
    requests the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of (her daughter)
    Bride's First Middle Name
    to
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

No host named (self hosted): 

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    (etc.)

Your parent's names do not appear on the invitation unless they are the hosts.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I suppose I thought if she were paying, she is the host. I'll have to clarify with her! If she is hosting, she gets the RSVPs back as well, right?
  • ellamber said:
    I suppose I thought if she were paying, she is the host. I'll have to clarify with her! If she is hosting, she gets the RSVPs back as well, right?
    Maybe. Hosting also includes being a point person for information, greeting guests at the reception etc. You could get the RSVPs back but she could still be a host.
  • ellamber said:
    I suppose I thought if she were paying, she is the host. I'll have to clarify with her! If she is hosting, she gets the RSVPs back as well, right?
    Maybe. Hosting also includes being a point person for information, greeting guests at the reception etc. You could get the RSVPs back but she could still be a host.