Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cake-only reception, followed by non-included dinner??

1235»

Re: Cake-only reception, followed by non-included dinner??

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    Troll!  Troll!  Don't feed it.  No real bride could be this insensitive and selfish.  She keeps coming back to egg us on, and she doesn't complain how mean we are.  Troll!!!!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It’s just my opinion that serving a meal isn’t a big deal and worth it. My dream honeymoon is more important than feeding people a single meal. 
    Can’t even go 12 hours without someone paying attention. Trollish indeed. 
  • If anyone is getting bored of this drama, it's a really, really juicy night over on another wedding website..
  • CMGragain said:
    OK, now I am convinced.  Troll.  Don't feed it.
    Well, I do hope she'll come back to ask what is the proper way to fire her MOH. It's been slow around here lately. 
    Luckily, it is almost engagement season.
  • It’s just my opinion that serving a meal isn’t a big deal and worth it. My dream honeymoon is more important than feeding people a single meal. 
    Wow.    You know it's possible to have both right?      Many couples seem to figure out feeding their guests a meal at a DW AND getting their "dream" HM.    

Takes planning, but it's done all the time, even on a low budget.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CMGragain said:
    OK, now I am convinced.  Troll.  Don't feed it.
    Well, I do hope she'll come back to ask what is the proper way to fire her MOH. It's been slow around here lately. 
    Luckily, it is almost engagement season.
    Oh yes! Let's hope it's more active than the last one.

So don't invite them at all! It is the one polite way you can avoid having to feed them a single meal. There is no other way to invite them and avoid feeding them a single meal that doesn't make you look selfish and crass.
  • A cake only reception is fine- when it's in your home town, at a non-meal time, and no one is flying in, and there's not dinner of any kind you're making people pay for. 

Your plan is rude and your priorities are wrong.

My thoughts exactly.  I would love a cake/punch reception in my home town. I'm not flying to get cake though.  Flights/hotels/car rental or uber's are just not worth it to me, even if it's in a place that I love, which is Vegas yup.

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    It’s just my opinion that serving a meal isn’t a big deal and worth it. My dream honeymoon is more important than feeding people a single meal. 
    ooooooh I get it.  this is MUD.

• Guys guys. Calm down. Even if it's not MUD, this wedding isn't happening.
  • Wait... So you're making everyone travel (whether by car or air makes it a destination wedding) and spend money on gas, hotel and meals to Vegas, thanking them with a piece of cake, and then everyone is going back to Cali, where you're going to honeymoon anyways? Step back and think about that?

Your guests are going to step back and say to themselves... WTH? If you truly properly hosted in Vegas, you're supposed to have all of your OOT guests to the rehearsal dinner as well. So there are multiple hosting infractions happening here. If I was a guest, I would think, 'I pretty much traveled to Vegas for butter, sugar and flour?!?' 

I think you could save everyone money by having a simple ceremony and a lovely cake and champagne reception for less than making everyone go out to Vegas. And you could host a lot more of your friends and family. I'm sure you could host it for less than $4500 in Cali. 

Being young is not an excuse for improper hosting. My FH and I are eloping by ourselves in Kauai and then being proper hosts by having a celebration of marriage casual cocktail party in each of our respective hometowns. Affordable and proper. You just need to host a party within your means.

I would consider eloping by yourselves to Vegas and then hosting your cake and champagne celebration of marriage back home or doing a simple ceremony and cake and champagne reception at home.
  • Sort of sad that this seems to be the mind set of many young people this day and age.