Wedding Woes
Options

What would you wear-holiday edition

dh's ceo invited us to a Christmas party in his home on a Thursday night. Politically  speaking we need to go.  

I don't really want to wear pants but truly have no clue what direction to take. I'd like festive, but simple?  I don't know. The more specific the idea the better.  I range 8/10, carry my weight in my stomach, and according to the woman in the church parking lot have great legs. 

Re: What would you wear-holiday edition

• Options
    What kind of office is it?   How dressy is the party?
  • Options
    I'd go for a knee-length cocktail dress and cute but comfortable shoes. if you tend to run cold, get something with sleeves. 

I know @VarunaTT has had a lot of luck with Rent the Runway, so that might be a good place to look if you know it's something you probably won't wear again. 
  • Options
    Wrap dress with tights (depending on the weather)? Or, festive skirt and slinky blouse with tights and heels? Those are typically my go-to for work parties. 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2017
    It's the upper management for a power plant- mainly engineers. They all wear a uniform to work- blue slacks, oxford shirt, steel toes, hard hat, if they're especially frisky a flash suit. 

Eta an engineer husband means I can't get a real feel for dressiness
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    It's the upper management for a power plant- mainly engineers. They all wear a uniform to work- blue slacks, oxford shirt, steel toes, hard hat, if they're especially frisky a flash suit. 

Eta an engineer husband means I can't get a real feel for dressiness
    Can your DH ask if the boss will wear a suit and take it from there? 

I'd either go with one of the above suggestions or something festive and fun.   Festive dress belted at waist with leather leggings and jewelry that pops?   Plaid festive blouse and black dress pants and heels with sparkly jewelry or pearls? 
  • Options
    Ugh, I'm feeling neeedy because I'm just not picturing this stuff.  Slinky blouse means nothing to me. Leather leggings?  I don't know that existed!  

I'm a 42 year old sah/part time wahm suburban mom. Before that I was wearing the same uniform my husband wears now!  I don't wanna go...........
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    6fsn said:
    Ugh, I'm feeling neeedy because I'm just not picturing this stuff.  Slinky blouse means nothing to me. Leather leggings?  I don't know that existed!  

I'm a 42 year old sah/part time wahm suburban mom. Before that I was wearing the same uniform my husband wears now!  I don't wanna go...........
    We got you. 

• Options
    Christmas THIS Thursday?  Or in December?  

What about a sweater dress?

Image result for sweater dress party

Image result for sweater dress christmas party

Or something more flashy?

• Options
    Also, if it's a nicer party, I just wore this to a wedding and HIGHLY recommend:

Image result for asos kimono dress
  • Options
    Leggings, booties, and a dress (either wrap or sweater dress) would probably be acceptable and comfortable.  I'm all about comfort at holiday parties since they are usually long, you could end up standing for awhile, and they can get warm the more people that show up + how high the hosts have the heat. 
  • Options
    I literally snorted at the idea of me in leather leggings.  Hard no.  

I really don't want to go to this......and pay a sitter! I also hate asking a high school kid to be here late on a school night and my college sitters won't be home yet.

• Options
    @nicolegs17 -- i love that skirt in your last picture. 

@6fsn

• Options
    6fsn said:
    I literally snorted at the idea of me in leather leggings.  Hard no.  

I really don't want to go to this......and pay a sitter! I also hate asking a high school kid to be here late on a school night and my college sitters won't be home yet.

What about skinny black pants?   I just bought a pair of the leather ones myself and like them for the different pattern but they're leggings so they're still more comfortable than jeans. 

Can you get a pair of Old Navy Pixie pants in black, put on the plaid shirt and then a pair of fun shoes?  I have these:

They're comfortable and festive.   Wear the plaid, black pants and those shoes (or fun leopard) and pop with some bolder jewelry and you're good.

I get that it's not fun to do all of the stuff and pay a sitter but you have plenty of notice to start looking now.  
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I'm all about comfort!

Leggings {there are dress pants that are legging style if you want to be a little nicer} and a really nice top. {similar to what @banana468 suggested - or a more tunic style if you feel that's too short} but definitely wear cute booties/boots. I find they look best with leggings {says the girl who wears dress pant leggings and kitten heels at work ....}

note: tunic style top would cover the stomach part you're not a fan of and the leggings will accent the legs ;)
  • Options
    Do you have a Macy’s or Nordstrom near you? I would head in and try on some stuff. 

You our will never be wrong in a simple black dress. Pick something with a a-line or empire or wrap waist and you will feel free. 

Slacks in in a neutral paired with a blouse of any colour with some nice jewelry would read simple but lovely. Trade the slacks for a skirt and you up the dressy level.  What is your H wearing? Does the boss have a wife or girlfriend you could reach out to?
  • Options
    DH is an Engineer, usually jeans and a sweater/shirt around the office, even as a company owner.

Our Christmas party, most guys are in suits, though there is usually 1 tux for fun. Women are in cocktail/holiday party dresses, knee length or dress pants and sparkly type top. Very similar to a lot of the photos already posted. 

I usually wear wear a cocktail type dress, or similar, sometimes with thick tights, other times with bare legs. His year I think  going with skinny black dress pants, strapless bustier type top and heels. Jewellery to dress it up. Hope that helps

• Options
    DH is an engineer and despite being a well-known company, his office is quite casual. Khakis and button downs - no ties. Except maybe the C suite. But that's at work, not in their homes. 

What was the invitation like? Formal? Or word of mouth? That should at least give you some indication.

Personally I'd wear a nice/casual dress or skirt with blouse and a cardigan and tights. You're not a sparkle queen if it's more casual, but you can hang with things if it's dressier. 
    Image result for dress with tights and cardigan
    Image result for dress with tights and cardigan

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    I think that outfit will be good!
  • Options
    @6fsn - great choice! That'll go well whether it's "suit and tie" or more casual.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    @6fsn - what shoes are you wearing?

these won't match your outfit, so not recommending for this event, but for a comfortable sparkly shoe/general recommendation, i just got these for $5+ shipping with a bunch of DSW coupons. They are comfortable, and actually fit to size. I've seen other sites carry in different colors - although if you flip the sequins, they're gold. 
    https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/chinese-laundry-graceful-flat/414781?activeColor=985Graceful Flat

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited November 2017
    I'm probably going to end up in a black wedge.  I don't really want to be on someone's hardwoods in high heels.  I love the idea of something fun, but my wallet says maybe not.
  • Options
    6fsn said:
    I'm probably going to end up in a black wedge.  I don't really want to be on someone's hardwoods in high heels.  I love the idea of something fun, but my wallet says maybe not.
    I always appreciate people like you when we entertain. Except for a couple rooms, our whole house is hardwood and when I see stilettos come through the door I'm always trying to find that person the most comfortable seat so they'll sit down the whole night and not wreck my floors! :D Flats and wedges all the way.

• Options
    6fsn said:
    What about a toms desert wedge bottie (or something simialr from tj maxx or marshalls if $66 is too much). I love mine and get lots of compliments!

• Options
    lnixon8 said:
    6fsn said:
    What about a toms desert wedge bottie (or something simialr from tj maxx or marshalls if $66 is too much). I love mine and get lots of compliments!
    I have these and absolutely love them. Only $30 and they are SO comfortable. And far cheaper than the Toms.