Wedding Woes
Options

Who is this person friends with?! Also, USE YOUR WORDS!

Dear Prudence,

A very good friend recently came for an impromptu visit on short notice. I was excited to welcome him and his spouse, but they showed up with their two dogs. We have three dogs of our own, two of whom don’t get along well with other dogs. My guest allowed his dogs the run of our house, even after I mentioned that we don’t allow dogs in most rooms of our home because I’m allergic and like to have rooms where I can breathe freely. Worst of all, his dogs weren’t housebroken. I just sort of gritted my teeth and said nothing after it was clear that my guests had no intention of keeping their dogs in the appropriate parts of the house or making sure they went outside, but inside I was seething.

What can I do to ensure this doesn’t happen again? This isn’t the first time people have showed up at our house with surprise pets, and I feel like the attitude is “you have pets, so anything pet-related must be OK with you.” But pets are like children: I love well-socialized, well-behaved pets whose owners understand basic courtesy, but I’m not a fan of animals running wild around my house, harassing my pets, and eating out of the cat box.

—Not a Pet Hotel

Re: Who is this person friends with?! Also, USE YOUR WORDS!

• Options
    Get better friends.  Or don't invite anyone to stay with you.

• Options
    I just don't know anyone who just shows up with their dog to stay the night without asking.  I mean, if FIL comes over here, he usually brings his dog.  But that's the only person who's 'allowed' to do so.  
  • Options

LW should have spoke up in the moment.  "Friend, I have mentioned that there are certain rooms where the pets are not allowed.  If you cannot control your animals, we will have to cut this visit short.  Sorry."

• Options

Who are all these LW friends that bring their dogs over without asking, lol?  I would never do that nor have I ever had it happen to me.

Because the LW has two dogs that don't get along with other animals, I would have cut that s**t out at the door.  Like, "Oh no!  I didn't realize you were bringing your two dogs!  I really hate to do this to you (sorrynotsorry), but I can't let them into our house.  Spot and Wolfie just don't get along with other dogs and it would be devastating if a fight broke out and any of the dogs were injured!"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Nip that at the door.   "Oh, they're not allowed in those rooms."  

If they still ignore the OP, it's time to be pretty blunt, "Oh I'm excited for your visit but need to let you know that the dogs will either need to stay outside while you're here or you may want to leave them home." 

We have our annual party on Saturday.   Kids aren't allowed upstairs.   Not happening.   The first time we had the party in our house I found wooden blocks in my pillow case.   There wasn't anything damaged but I also nipped the kids running up the stairs immediately upon arrival the following year. 
  • Options
    "What can I do to ensure this doesn't happen again?"

Well this is Prudie's easiest response of the day.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    "Fido isn't allowed upstairs"

<Fido strolls up the stairs>

"Friend, please get Fido he's going upstairs and we told you he cannot go up there."

<Fido goes upstairs again>

"Friend, I'm going to have to ask you to find another place to stay as you can't respect my wishes regarding Fido's wandering. Please do so this evening."
  • Options
    Friend, we can't have your dogs stay with us during your visit. This is the number of a good kennel in town - please give them a call and set it up for tonight. Otherwise, Hotel X allows dogs, so give them a call.