Wedding Woes
Options

A canceled wedding is cheaper than divorce

Dear Prudence,

I’ve done a terrible thing, and I have no idea how to emerge on the other side of it. My fiancée of six years and I are engaged to be married in four months. Here’s the “thing”: I proposed to her in response to an ultimatum and to maybe prod myself into feeling more enthusiastic about the relationship. We have had a tumultuous relationship that has been exacerbated by addiction issues on both sides. She has consistent anger and anxiety, and I tend to pull away and withhold physically.

Despite this, we care very much for one another. She was diagnosed with a neurological disorder earlier this year and has quit her job to find something less physically taxing, so I feel both an emotional and financial burden of care. I’ve seen and ignored so many red flags over the years—how do I know when or if I should act for my future? We are youngish child-free professionals. Is it possible I just haven’t bought in 100 percent and need to dive in with more enthusiasm? I’m feeling stuck and time is ticking.

—Impending Wedding Blues

Re: A canceled wedding is cheaper than divorce

• Options

LW has already acknowledged there are red flags.  So there is no need to wait any further.  The wedding should be postponed and I think the overall relationship should end.

He can still be there for the hopefully Ex-FI, due to her diagnosis and job issues, but end it now.

• Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017

I've always wondered about these kind of ultimatums and how well they usually work out.  Doesn't seem to be panning out for this couple.  I think they should give counseling a try and postpone in the meantime.  He also needs to explore why he isn't ready.  Is it mainly him?  Like he wouldn't be ready with anyone.  Or is she just not the right person for him, despite "caring very much for each other"?

The fact that he says he "did a terrible thing", is very telling that it's either time to move on or at least postpone things.   

I've lost touch with her since, but I have a friend who gave her then-b/f a marriage proposal ultimatum.  He told her he wasn't ready and they broke up.  I don't know if he did soul searching or missed her too much, so he caved.  But they got back together a few months later and were engaged.  They did get married and had two kids.  They both seemed happy, but one can never tell.

I was at the same crossroads a few times with my H, when we were dating.  We'd been together so long, but he had never proposed.  I thought about an ultimatum, but decided there was no way I could do that.  He needed to propose because HE wanted to.  Not because I pressured him.  I would leave the relationship, before I would give an ultimatum.  In the end, I decided I would rather stay with him, even if that meant I might never get married.  He did eventually propose (obviously)...it just took over a decade, lol.

Edited to add:

After @*Barbie*'s post, I did want to add that I brought marriage up a few times during our relationship.  To gauge where he was, make sure we were on the right page, etc.  Including in the beginning to make sure he wasn't an "I'll never get married again" guy.  Something like that was always my deal-breaker question, once a relationship got to a point where it might go more serious.

His answer was always a vague, general "yes, of course I want to marry you someday".  But "someday" gets eye-rolling at 5+ years.  So, from my perspective, we'd already had the discussions.  He already knew getting married was important to me.  So if I'd ever gotten to the point of an ultimatum.  I would have just left instead, though also told him why. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    He proposed under ultimatum to hopefully feel more enthusiastic about being with this person? Say what now? This doesn't sound like a functional relationship. 

At a minimum postpone the wedding. These aren't wedding jitters - they're serious cold feet. Ice box feet. Glacier feet. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    re: ultimatum/pressure - i don't see anything wrong with giving one. not necessarily "you need to propose, NOW, or else" - but to establish "I want to know where we stand/what is your timeline/do we want the same thing? - and if not on the same page, break up." 

I'll use my sister as an example here. She is 32, never married, no kids. She has a professional job (engineer) with the same company since college internship, a masters degree, and has been living on her own/renting her townhouse for the last 6ish years. Over the last 6ish years, she had had 2 long term relationships - the first lasted a little over 2 years, and the second lasted 3 years. There were red flags in both, but one thing in common was that she was frustrated (especially with the most recent one) that things didn't seem to be progressing anywhere. Most recent b/f was 30ish, in a professional job (accountant/finance), was working on his masters, and was still living with his parents because he had wanted to save money and pay off his student loans. (Which he did while dating my sister.)

We (DK and I, my parents) assumed she was going to marry the most recent guy - but he didn't seem to be moving in that direction. Sister was too chicken to say anything directly to him, so decided to be passive aggressive and broke up with him after 3 years, rather than having an adult discussion to see what was going on with him - (was he waiting for a specific occasion to propose, did he plan to wait on finishing his masters before getting married, was it easier for them to keep dating even though he had lost interest? had he changed his mind about eventually wanting to get married and have kids? whatever.) I'm not saying she should have told him, "propose now or else" - but "We've been together for 3 years now, and i'd like to get married and have kids at some point. I want to marry you, and ideally for me would be sometime within the next 2 years. is this something that you want as well? if not, what do you want? If we can't agree on that, i think we'd better end this because we don't want the same things."
  • Options
    I don’t think @*Barbie* ‘s example counts as an ultimatum though. An Ultimatum is a walk date, read some other wedding boards and they are a buzz with such such discussions.

I was gossiping with my sister the other day about my former co workers, she works at the same place I used to. Before I left, a dude and his girlfriend got engaged during a fight, basically because everyone else in the friend group was getting engaged. Flash forward to now, he had to have her arrested for domestic violence. Luckily they never actually got married.

It sucks that these two are so co-dependent but if LW knows that this is a bad decision and has known, it is best to let the girlfriend find someone more suited for her. 
  • Options
    If LW wasn’t to end it he should do it now. Let her figure out how to cope and live with her disorder. I think it’s unfair to stay hoping things will suddenly be better, and the longer he does the more she will count on his support/care/whatever. 

But damn, engaged 6 years and 4 months before the wedding he wants to call it off. Better than a marriage that shouldn’t happen, but I’d probably be devastated. 
  • Options
    I don’t think @*Barbie* ‘s example counts as an ultimatum though. An Ultimatum is a walk date, read some other wedding boards and they are a buzz with such such discussions. 
    I agree. Getting on the same page and communicating about needs/wants in a relationship is not the same thing as "if you don't propose by (insert some red line in the sand), we're over". That's an ultimatum. 
    *********************************************************************************