Wedding Woes

Gender reveal party - Gifts or no?

I'm leaning towards no, but I've never been to one, so I'm not sure.  It's for my cousin who is having her first.  I'm assuming there will be a shower once the baby is born, but I will get her something then even if she doesn't have one.  

Any ideas on something nice for my cousin for hosting?  Normally I would bring wine, but it seems a little mean to give her something she can't have for a few more months

Re: Gender reveal party - Gifts or no?

• I would lean towards no as well. Ask if you can bring a salad or some other way to help out
  • Maybe a gender neutral onesie or a book for the little one?
  • I usually do a book for these, but don’t think it’s expected. 
  • I've never been to one, but a book definitely seems appropriate if you bring anything. 
  • 100% not expected, but many people do. Something gender neutral, or even a gift card to something for parents would be good.

I also like the idea of PP's doing a book
  • 100% not expected, but many people do. Something gender neutral, or even a gift card to something for parents would be good.

Or diapers, especially larger sizes.  Your kid always starts peeing out of the too small size in the middle of the night.  Having a size 2 or 3 on hand is a life-saver. 
  • So this is just me but.....Definitely not.

For many reasons, I'm anti-sex reveal parties. One of them is that it's usually hosted by the couple themselves and I don't think the precedent should be that couples hosting their own parties should become gift giving events. They'll probably have a shower too, I would hold out for that.

ETA: if you want to bring a hostess gift, like you would a dinner party or other hosted event, I would bring a bottle of non-alcoholic sparkling wine. I love being able to pretend I'm partaking in the toasting and festivities that go on during an event and can only drink so much La Croix.
    This post is so offensive. You can never drink too much La Croix, it is the elixir of life. 
    LOL! I take it back....I take it all (of the last paragraph) back! ;)
    *********************************************************************************

• mrsconn23 said:
    100% not expected, but many people do. Something gender neutral, or even a gift card to something for parents would be good.

Or diapers, especially larger sizes.  Your kid always starts peeing out of the too small size in the middle of the night.  Having a size 2 or 3 on hand is a life-saver. 
    Or if you know the parents are cloth diapering, see what they're still missing. {liners, etc}
  • mrsconn23 said:
    100% not expected, but many people do. Something gender neutral, or even a gift card to something for parents would be good.

Or if you know the parents are cloth diapering, see what they're still missing. {liners, etc}
    They're probably still "missing" just about everything. People usually have these parties at 20 weeks (or even sooner). At that point, they usually haven't had a shower or bought much in terms of baby stuff.
    *********************************************************************************

• mrsconn23 said:

They're probably still "missing" just about everything. People usually have these parties at 20 weeks (or even sooner). At that point, they usually haven't had a shower or bought much in terms of baby stuff.
    This is true.
    However since we're likely doing cloth diapers, we're just buying them ourselves around that time anyways tbh

Baby registry question - stroller/car seat .... that's gonna be expensive, would we still put on registry if we haven't bought it by then or should we just keep it off knowing it's a high expense?
    {or anything that we know is expensive - like the crib we want isn't cheap either}
  • Baby registry question - stroller/car seat .... that's gonna be expensive, would we still put on registry if we haven't bought it by then or should we just keep it off knowing it's a high expense?
    {or anything that we know is expensive - like the crib we want isn't cheap either}
    I'd say keep in on there - you may get a group of people "chipping in" on a big gift?
    Oh good point!
  • Totally fine to have some expensive items as long as you also have more reasonable one
  • MKD - keep some high dollar things on there. My ILs all went in together and bought us our jogging stroller. Plus if you have them on there, you can buy them with your registry completion discount.
    Is there a discount at all stores or just certain ones? We're likely going through walmart - they have really good deals happening quite often
  • Baby registry question - stroller/car seat .... that's gonna be expensive, would we still put on registry if we haven't bought it by then or should we just keep it off knowing it's a high expense?
    I'd say keep in on there - you may get a group of people "chipping in" on a big gift?
    Yup, my aunts all went in on some big ticket items for my sister, so I'd say keep it on. 
  • MKD - keep some high dollar things on there. My ILs all went in together and bought us our jogging stroller. Plus if you have them on there, you can buy them with your registry completion discount.
    Is there a discount at all stores or just certain ones? We're likely going through walmart - they have really good deals happening quite often
    IDK about Walmart. I know Target has one, Buy Buy Baby, Babies R Us, Amazon. I'd be surprised if Walmart doesn't have one. And if they don't, honestly I'd switch to somewhere that does. They all basically sell the same stuff. 

Full disclosure, when I needed a second round of stuff for babybelle (around 1 year), I created a Target registry as if I were having another child and just used it for the completion discount on all the new shit I needed. #noshame

ETA: I have also created a faux wedding registry when I needed a bunch of housewares from Macy's. Also no shame. 
    #nevershame #allthediscounts
  • You can also make private registries for stuff that you know you will buy yourselves (or duplicates of other stuff on the public registries) so you still get the discount but aren't having 5 different registries out there. 

For some reason I'm thinking Walmart doesn't do a completion discount like the others but I might be wrong. 

Also if second hand stuff doesn't bother you you can get a lot of good stuff that way. For instance I got the play may with hanging toys for $8 vs if I'd registered for it it would have been like $70 which was just stupid to me. I'd have rather someone spend the $70 on stuff I actually need vs a playmat that will be used a few months.
  • I'd either bring no gift or a small one (onesie, book), like PPs mentioned.  It's not a gift giving event, so you're fine either way. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I say no to gifts at a gender reveal party.  I have been to a couple and gifts were definitely not expected.  A baby shower followed a few months later and that's where gifts are given.

MKD - leave the stroller/car seat on there.  I bought a good friend of mine hers when she had her first because I couldn't fly out there and be with her for the celebration.  

• @kvruns Oh second hand idc about :) I've actually told my mum {who will be one of the hosts of baby shower} to indicate that if anyone has stuff from their kid(s) they want to bring, that is more than welcome!

I'm gonna have to look into the discount with walmart ...

@Ro041 that's a very thoughtful of you to gift that!
  • kahluakoalakahluakoala member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2017
    Baby registry question - stroller/car seat .... that's gonna be expensive, would we still put on registry if we haven't bought it by then or should we just keep it off knowing it's a high expense?
    Oh good point!
    Are completion discounts a thing with baby registries like they are with wedding registries. I feel like so many people are aware of the completion discount thing they don't even side eye high priced items

EDIT: didn't read the lsat few posts and now see this has already been discussed.

To answer the original question: I say hostess gift only. How about a nice box of chocolates? And one of these books because gender reveal parties are sexist garbage: http://www.readbrightly.com/8-books-that-teach-kids-about-the-fluidity-of-gender-and-the-importance-of-acceptance/
  • God help us if a gender / sex reveal party ever becomes a gift giving event. 

Hostess gift if you're so inclined. Chocolate sounds perfect if the pregnant woman has crazy sugar cravings like I did! Or if she's craving the salty stuff, a treat she had her SO can both enjoy. 

• God help us if a gender / sex reveal party ever becomes a gift giving event. 

Hostess gift if you're so inclined. Chocolate sounds perfect if the pregnant woman has crazy sugar cravings like I did! Or if she's craving the salty stuff, a treat she had her SO can both enjoy. 
    Basically find out what mama is craving and feed that? ;)
  • I’ve been to two in the last year and bought a book for each one. It was about 50/50 little gifts brought. I also brought an appy that I asked about bringing. 
  • This post reminds me...SIL did her 'gender reveal' to me over the phone...while I was in Nordstrom Rack.  :D It was very fancy and over the top. 

She's having another boy. :D  I picked up a Cookie Monster at Kohl's awhile back.  I might give it to her with the sample of nipple cream I randomly got in the mail (that I haven't needed in 6.5 years).  ;) 
  • Take a book. Of course I've never been to one of these parties. 

Mkd- leave the big items. Group gifts and discounts. I don't remember Walmart having one but that was almost 10 years ago.  Our work went together on the car seat/stroller.