Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress modifications

Hi all,

I just found and ordered my dress yesterday. It looks like this:

It's already pretty darn close to perfect, but I'm thinking about a couple of (small?) changes. One, I would prefer to have a semi-sweetheart outline (under the lace) instead of the sweetheart outline that is currently there - i.e. have a less pronounced dip in the middle. Something like this:

And two, I was wondering if a sheer layer could be added under the lace neckline to make it...not opaque, really, but less illusion-like (I wasn't really going for illusion...but I love the lace and everything else about the dress). What I have in mind is something like this:

Anyone have an idea how straightforward these alterations would be and/or how expensive?

Thanks!
M.

Re: Dress modifications

• Those might be possible. I would suggest talking to a few dressmakers/ seamstresses to find out their thoughts and cost. 
  • Talk with your seamstress/alterations person once the dress is in and you will be able to get a better idea.  Also, if you can, order extra fabric (many companies make this available at a premium, but you'll be happy to match fabrics down the road, so yes, order at least a yard or two so there's enough to add that amount of fabric)..  
  • Hmm....I've been wondering if (a) modifying the neckline will take much extra fabric and (b) if it could be done with fabric that is trimmed elsewhere during the alterations (I'm a size 6 in the bust but 12-14 in the hips, so we ordered a size 12 knowing it would have to be taken in significantly).

• Hmm....I've been wondering if (a) modifying the neckline will take much extra fabric and (b) if it could be done with fabric that is trimmed elsewhere during the alterations (I'm a size 6 in the bust but 12-14 in the hips, so we ordered a size 12 knowing it would have to be taken in significantly).

Often, the fabric for taking in is not enough to do meaningful alterations with. Order extra fabric. If you don’t need it, make it into pillows or something fun. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2017
    I think putting fabric under the illusion would be fairly simple. It might take hand work, which would take longer and be more expensive. As an intermediate skill level sewer, the way I would do it is hand sew the fabric to the lining of the dress and the shoulder seams. If machine sewing, I expect the seams would have be ripped and the fabric inserted between them and then resewed. 

I wouldn't necessarily expect there to be enough fabric from taking in. I don't know how easy it would be to redo the bust. I'm not a professional and don't know everything there is to know, particularly when it comes to formal wear, but it might require taking apart and redoing the whole bodice. At least, the seams along the top that sew the outside fabric to the lining underneath would have to ripped and the cups reshaped and resewn. Depending on the fabric, needle holes or the fold line in the fabric will be difficult or impossible to get out (if they don't have to use new fabric), but with the lace, that might not be noticeable or a big deal. 

The easiest and cheapest thing would be to just sew a piece of fabric into the v in the bust to make it less deep. With the lace over it, it might not be super noticeable as separate piece. 

ETF weird phrasing. 
  • The dress is so peachy. The alterations could be done in my mind. As to the cost, i think you'd talk to the seamstresses you know.
  • To make the sweetheart neckline less sweetheart-ish (and keep the integrity and look) would be quite complicated and probably cost a lot more than you'd think. To do the extra fabric under the lace in the back seems relatively simple and probably wouldn't be that expensive.
    *********************************************************************************